• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

North of town coyotes

Started by Coyotes-R-Us, August 05, 2018, 09:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyotes-R-Us

D-I-L  and I went North of town to do an after dinner coyote call. We only planned to do the one set so we invested a lota time in the walk out. To the west the State land runs for 3 miles, normal set is under 1/2 mile from the road. We walked about a mile and a half. We looked for the "Right" spot to set up. The wind was straight in to our face and we had plenty of elevation  with good cover. I put the call about 25 yards west of us out in the open with Kugo to it's side. Hoping if the coyotes tried to circle around we would see them. 20 minutes in to the set I see two out about 2 miles running straight in to us. It took a very short time for them to cover the distance. They get to with in about 400 yards and just set down, Humm...

I just let the fox pro run with a pup in distress noise on medium volume play. About 5 minutes and they broke to come in. Straight up the drainage we are sitting in.

In the back of my mind I was afraid the would run in to close to shoot with the rifles. So I let out a loud bark at about 250 yards. The stopped instantly . My daughter in law knows the drill  you get like 10 seconds to pick a dog and shoot before they catch on they have been duped. It sounded like one shot in fact ,I thought she forgot to shoot. BUT I did not see any running coyotes. Two lay dead on the ground. She was shooting her 204 and I had the heave six.

She got part of it on here phone video.

To far and steep for a picture sorry, still a mile and a half back to the truck and the sun was starting to fade.

PERFICT and a nice sunset to boot... :highclap:

old is the new young

Okanagan

Great story!  But, wow, 250 yards as getting too close!  I consider that a long shot, for me. That is GOOD shooting, geometrically so to hit two with such quick shots.  She is GOOD!  A coyote isn't very big, especially at 200 yards.

I had one get too close for me to focus on with a 2 power scope.  I should have stopped him out maybe 30 feet.  Had a couple within touching distance when bow hunting.  Have shot a good many with a heavy barreled varmint rifle inside of 15 yards...  We have a wide range of hunting/calling styles here, and I enjoy hearing about how others go about it.

Coyotes-R-Us

200 yards is a long shot. In that kind of terrain you have to choose WHERE your going to shoot them. Normally they take a few minutes to get stopped or get in under a high spot and slip right on in.  The next shooting spot was more like 75 yards and who's to say if you get them stopped or they spook just out of sight ???I'll take'm where I can.
old is the new young

nastygunz

Up here is 95% wooded, literally, so 95% of the time its up close shotgun time.

Okanagan

Quote from: Coyotes-R-Us on August 06, 2018, 10:13:54 AM
200 yards is a long shot. In that kind of terrain you have to choose WHERE your going to shoot them. Normally they take a few minutes to get stopped or get in under a high spot and slip right on in.  The next shooting spot was more like 75 yards and who's to say if you get them stopped or they spook just out of sight ???I'll take'm where I can.

Ditto.  When I take somebody who has not called coyotes, I tell them to generally let coyotes keep coming rather than shoot as soon as they see one, but whatever happens, to take the first shot that they are confident of hitting, at whatever range.  The gal with you is a confident and excellent game shooter!

I hear you about them getting down in a dip out of sight.  On the first cougar my son killed, it was coming in to my hand call at about 125 yards in a fairly open swamp, but it was headed for a patch of brush that extended from 60 yards out to within 25 yards on one side of us.  The cat slowed almost to a stop at 125 and my son shot it there, before it could get into the brush closer to us.  Better take what they give ya!