• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Antler Mount Tutorial

Started by FinsnFur, June 07, 2008, 04:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Here go.....
First let me mention that there are several ways to accomplish what I am about to explain, and several different products that could be substituted. The following is what I like to use.
The things you'll need other then the obvious, (an antler rack) will be, some Durham's rock hard water putty, A plaque to mount the rack to, a foam form for the mount, some flocking adhesive which is nothing more then paint that matches your flocking, some flocking in your choice of color, A drill, some screws and a picture hanger.

The first thing you'll want to do is lightly sand the foam form. It has a release agent on it to keep it from sticking to the mold when they are cast and it will not accept paint, glue or anything else. Skipping this process will be sure to spell disaster. Trust me...I've tried.

Then...
The brain cavity in the antler rack will need to comfortably fit over the false brain on the form. That's one of the reasons I love these forms, they are pretty self aligning, plus they look good. This one is a deer skull replica.

As you can see some trimming of the cavity will need to be done to allow it to fit over the false brain. 

So what I'm going to do is make the following cuts with a hack saw and remove these two corners.
AFTER the cuts are made (below)

Now she'll fit right over the false brain and rest completely down onto the form.

I'm going to drill two holes across from each other so I can drop a screw into them and screw the rack to the form. Making final alignment adjustments as I tighten the screws.

The bottom of the form is 5/8 thick wood so you'll have plenty to bite into with your screws. I always run em right through and grind them off.

Next...were going use our Durham's rock hard water putty to do some body work and fill in around the antler rack making it meet the contour of the foam form.
This stuff has got to be about the consistency of peanut butter, so it doesn't sag and droop.

Use a small slat of wood for a spatula and work it in all the crevices and attempt to mock the outline of the form as you go. It doesn't have to be perfect because your going to work it as it dries.

When your finished with the first part of this step it should look something like this;(below)

You'll have to keep an eye on it, and AS IT DRIES, take a small glass of water to wet your fingers with and use your wet fingers to smooth the surface of the filler. Being careful to feather and blend the transitions where the putty meets the form.

Check it every 30 minutes or so and continue to work it smooth with wet finger tips until your satisfied with the outcome. The better the job you do here the less sanding you will have to do when it's dry.
Once it's dry you can go ahead and sand out any bumps or rough transitions.

NEXT step is to get out the flocking adhesive and paint the entire form being careful not to get any on the antlers. The paint (flocking adhesive) is what holds the flocking onto the form.

Then sprinkle on your flocking before the paint dries. You might have to pick it up by the antlers to be sure the entire thing is covered.

Once I'm confident I have everything covered, I'll set it back down and pile it on good, and let it set over night.

Now....if you recall back there during the sanding part I was pointing out a couple rough transitions right above the eye brow of the form. I intentionally left those rough to show you how much the flocking is able to cover. In the pic below you can see how bad they really are once the extra flocking is shook and blown off.

You do have to give it more then one coat anyway, so break out the flocking adhesive again and start painting your already flocked form for the second time. Paint right over top of the old flocking, it actually allows the form to soak and hold more adhesive.
In the pic below you'll see how well the second coats of adhesive and flocking filled the voids on the poor sanding job.

Next step is to mount the form to the plaque. You'll want to make sure it is dead center all the way around the plaque. Use a tape, and take your time.

I like to hold it in that position once I get it where I want it. Then I'll slide the whole works towards the edge of the bench, and reach around underneath and mark out my holes for mounting the form to the plaque. Stay towards the center of the form because the outside edges arent as high and you dont want a screw coming up through Rudolph's snout.
Once you have them marked, set the form aside and drill them through. These will be drilled all the way through the plaque, and youll want the holes just slightly larger in diameter then the screw your using.

THEN...set your form back on the plaque and align it up just like you had it before. Measuring for center to get it perfectly aligned.
I slide it towards the edge of the table again, carefully holding the form down where I want it, and push a screw up into one of my holes and go to town with a phillips bit in the DeWalt. It's much easier with a helper...but.

Check to make sure the form is still aligned on the plaque where you want it and slide the plaque around to reveal the other holes over the table edge so you can screw them.

Once you have the form mounted to the plaque, it's time for the picture hanger. I use a couple ripped pieces of 2x6 to set the plaque on upside down so the form doesn't get damaged while driving the nails for the hanger.
Center it up, nail it into place.

Your about done now. I blow off all the dust with the air hose, and head to the refrigerator. :eyebrownod:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FinsnFur

Everything used for this project other then the drill, and the Durhams rock hard water putty is available through VanDykes Taxidermy supply.

The flocking adhesive and the flocking can be bought in a variety of colors, and are made to match each other.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Hawks Feather

Jim,

That looks easy enough that I think I could do it.  Now if I can find a decent buck this fall. . . . .

Thanks,

Jerry

alscalls

Thats pretty cool Jim, Thanks Nice job!! 
What about the cost for materials?
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Cost; at the time of this post

The flocking adhesive - 5.99 for 4.oz
The flocking - 4.99 for 1/4 pound
The foam form - 6.99
This particular plaque which was solid walnut - 13.99 (wood types and sizes vary)
Durhams rock hard water putty - 3.99 for a 4 pound can.
The picture hanger - 1.89 for a pkg of 4

Total cost $37.84

But ya need to keep in mind that you now have enough stuff to do several more of these with the exception of the plaque and the form.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

LORDDAL

Awsome tutorial Jim I love the look of that mount cant wait to get them home and up on the wall thanks again  :highclap: :yoyo:
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

FinsnFur

I appreciated the opportunity Charlie  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

BasinBoy

Sweet. Ill have to try it with one of the old racks i have laying around the house

SCcoyotehunter

Hung right there with th rest of your trophies!! Nice Post.

slagmaker

Glad someone posted in this thread again I didnt even know it was here. I have a rack that i want to mount in just this fashon
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

TheHunt

That is pretty cool.  I have a 4X3 elk rack I would like to do that with.  Thank you for posting.

Coon hunter

Thats a Nice Job . Very good looking antler mount .  :yoyo: :highclap:
Quality Whole sale and customer Taxidermy

Coon hunting  Its a passion .