• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

1st & 2nd Yote of 06-07 Season

Started by OKTrap, December 04, 2006, 01:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OKTrap

This young male was taken in the KB 5.5 Compound Laminated trap. Taken with a dirt hole set using a blend of Caven's "Gusto" and Dobbin's "K9-03", anchored with a super stake on 15" of 3/32" 7x7 aircraft cable. Enjoy. I did.

WhiteHare

It looks to me like he doesn't mind getting in close to human habitat.

Nice going..   :highclap:    Good picture also..

Richard
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

Hawks Feather

Yea, like Whitehare said, he looks pretty friendly.  Did you go up and pet him and then let him go?   :shck:

Jerry

FinsnFur

Nice pic, yeah he's pretty close to the housing isn't he.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

Very nice. Guess that's one set that didn't freeze.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Brad H

Cool pic. That's really close to, or in town. Do you have any problems with domestic dogs?

Brad

OKTrap

First ... I do not have problems with domestic animals. Knock on wood, I haven't taken a non-target in over 20 years.

Second ... that KB 5.5 did not freeze. There were a lot of questions about whether or not the tension / shock assembly would freeze or not ... but it didn't. And it was bedded in frozen soil.

Third ... tracks ran a lot closer to the house than where this yote was caught. And as a matter of fact ... when I had him in the Ketch-All Pole ... I did pet him before euthanizing him. And he was growling the whole time. Funny thing about this one. I know yote is a dominant gene when bred to another domestic dog, so it will look more yote than anything. But this dude had a bark ... not a yip ... a bark. I have never been "barked" at before by a yote. I usually get growls and yips.

So, for you predator callers ... is a yote that actually "Barks" normal? Or would you figure it to be a coy-dog?

FinsnFur

I think you just played the odds.
I've been barked at a lot. Heck they've called me every name in the book...and some that wern't.  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

OKTrap

I reckon I did. Hopefully, I will get more pictures today of another catch or two. I only put out about 10 traps to test the snow and ice with ... as soon as it clears off ... I will get the other 190 out.

OKTrap

Caught my first skunk in a foothold. I have caught them in cages a lot, but never a foothold.

I did not know that they tear up the set so bad.

Here I am looking for my trap, thinking it was a pullout because everything was a pile of mud ... when SQUIRT...

Yep ... I got sprayed. That was also a first.

Folks at work aren't real happy either.

Now I know ... hard lesson learned ... just because the set is all torn up and muddy ... doesn't mean that nothing is under the mud pile waiting to suprise the unsuspecting trapper.

The skunk was also in the KB 5.5. I tried to get a picture... but it all looked like mud so late in the evening. It wouldn't come out clear.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

:roflmao: I would have thought the smell eminating would have raised the tread lightly flag. I've caught most of my skunks in foot holds, but I never came up on one and not known what I had before I could even see the set. They usually seem to keep walking in a circle with the hope that the next time around might yield different results. They rarely seem to hunker down and wait like dogs and cats often seem to do.

I guess the good news is your nose is not noticing it anymore, so the problem is someone elses.... and few would wish to disuade you from spending a bit of time in the woods and a reasonable distance from them.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

OKTrap

There was absolutely no scent. It didn't release until I got there. I guess it was waiting to get even with me.

OKTrap

Caught this one today. 2nd yote of the season. Caught in same set and same place as the first one. This one was a big male.

FinsnFur

Looks like he's taking a nap.
What's around there that causes that to be such a productive set? Can't see nothing from the pics except a broken down van and a truck tire growing outta the ground.

oh by the.. :eyebrownod: your running outta round bail there Reggy  :laf:

nice job  :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

keekee

Looks good and warm in the first pic! Not so warm in the last pic!....lol

Great pic's! Thanks!

Brent

OKTrap

Hay bails are one of the very best locations for yote. They travel by them to search for mice and such ... and they also mark territory on any of them laying around. When the snow was deep ... the bottom of haybail was yellow from urines that froze in the snow almost completely around it. However ... this second yote might have been the Alpha Male ... if so, the site will not be productive because the others (except for the Alpha Female) will not go into the trap circle because of the Alpha Male scent. We'll have to see.

And it's actually colder than the first ... just not as much snow.

FinsnFur

Quote from: OKTrap on December 07, 2006, 11:08:13 PM

the others (except for the Alpha Female) will not go into the trap circle because of the Alpha Male scent. We'll have to see.

That's interesting...tell me some more.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

OKTrap

That has been my experience thoughout the last 20+ years ... and even caught it a while back several times on game cams ... and everyone I have ever talked to that regularly yote traps says the same thing ...

If the Alpha Male gets taken ... the subordinates just don't seem to go into the trap circle. The only thing that I can figure, is the same as everyone else ... the Alpha Male scent marks forbidden territory ... and they don't go into it.

However ... the subordinates seem to be easier to catch everywhere else. I guess they are either looking for the Alpha ... or feel they have free roam over most of the territory.

FinsnFur

That's pretty interesting.

What kind of camera did you catch it on a trail cam? Or a video?

So what...they stumble upon the set and they back away or just completely walk around it without hesitation.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers