• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

2023 Gun/Deer

Started by FinsnFur, November 19, 2023, 09:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Anyone having any luck?
Ours opened yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm going to go yet or not. By the time I decide there will be people that will have offered me a deer anyway :eyebrow:
I am seeing some nice pics from locals
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Ohio had youth this weekend and the rest next week. You won't be seeing any pics from me.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

msmith

I haven't shot a buck in years. I saw 5 the first morning, 3 were 8 points but they were all young. Right now, I'm trying to coordinate with my daughter's schedule to get her a couple of does.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

KySongDog

I hung this 8 pointer in a tree on November 14.  About 45 minutes earlier he had been trailing a big doe. It was sort of a miracle I even saw him from my stand. He was out about 100 yards in the woods. I had seen the doe and was watching her in my scope when she looked back over her shoulder and then I knew something else was behind her. I started scanning back the way she had come and caught a glimpse of him moving through the brush and sapplings. Big body but couldn't see his antlers except to know he was a buck. When he passed between two trees I could see he was a shooter. The next time he passed trees there was a small window and I timed the shot as he walked. I could only see his shoulders as his head, neck and the rest of him were blocked by the trees. The .308 fusion bullet went through both shoulders and he went maybe 5 yards before piling up.
I was able to get my 4wheeler to him and drag him out to the skinning tree. Then the real work started.

msmith

Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

bambam

Nice buck ! I got a big bodied 4 -point. No brow tines. Good one to get out of the gene pool.

MI VHNTR

Congrats on the buck. Nothing here but wolves.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Okanagan

WOW!  That's a dandy big buck, way bigger than any whitetail I've ever killed.  WTG!

I passed 6 spike blacktails this rifle season, and came within one second of getting a shot off at a pretty good 3x3-- and never killed a deer.  My family has tagged a BUNCH of animals this Fall and give me all the venison I want.

Grandson Code killed a good buck opening day with his bow and helped four others tag deer, including his sister-in-law on her first deer.  He told me that he enjoys helping other people get game more than he does shooting it himself, and he's not kidding. 

Another grandson killed a 5x5 bull elk with his bow, a 4x4 mule deer in Montana with his rifle, and then on the last morning of the season in WA he killed a big bodied fork horn blacktail with his bow.

Two more 6x6 bull elk taken by the family,  several more blacktail deer (including two huge bucks, one scoring within 2 scoring points of Boone & Crocket) and a black bear-- and my son passed on some medium sized bucks due to lack of freezer space. 

Good year, and I hunted quite a bit.  One morning I was trying for a specifc 3x3 blacktail buck by calling, and called in a spike to 25 yards or less.  Fun morning, no regrets. 

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on a fine looking buck. Lots of good eating there.

FinsnFur

Nice one KY for sure :highclap: :congrats:  Both shoulders?,,,thats some serious penetration.

Okanagan over there stocking up on Elk :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bigben

season ended on saturday.  No bucks seen while I sat except for one spike.  I can only harvest one buck so I was on doe patrol all gun season.  Had a few opportunities but I held off for late flintlock season. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.