• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

She is so beautiful!!!

Started by Bopeye, April 02, 2011, 08:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

I took my family back to the Smokey Mountains today just to loaf around. We didn't see any bears, but we still had a good time. The girls decided to go shopping while Jared and I went to Magiquest which is pretty awesome. It's really cool if your a kid. You get an enchanted book to go on various quests finding all kinds of neat things and shooting your wand at them to collect them. It's a make believe place of dragons, knights, princesses, trolls, etc. He and I enjoyed it. Anyway, we went back to get the girls and I pulled right under this very nice sized flag.
I looked at her a minute and thought about what she stood for and the blood that was spilled to allow her to fly high and this glorious day.
Many dads, sons, brothers, etc. never came home for what Ole Glory stands for and I felt a great sense of pride as well a sorrow while I pondered her history, our history. I got out of the car and asked my son to do so as well. We removed our hats and placed them over our hearts. Together, Jared and I in that parking lot crowded with people started reciting the "Pledge of Allegiance" to our beautiful flag. An old, worn out Vietnam vet wearing his hat telling the unit and war he was in walked up beside us, removed his had and started right in with us. It was AWESOME. I heard some people snickering, some stood there and looked at us like we were weirdos, but then some stood silent and even a few wept. One lady came up and without a word being uttered, hugged and kissed all three of us and walked away sobbing. What a humbling and proud experience. I was so proud and honored to be apart of it. So here she is boys. The flag that stopped a whole parking lot today for just a few moments. Isn't she Grand? Isn't she Glorious? God bless America, my home sweet home.

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

shaddragger

And those that understood said, "Amen"
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Frogman

Awesome!!  Thanks for sharing that with us, Bopeye!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Great story, Bop!

Some people don't understand that "Freedom isn't free."

msmith

You put a lump in my throat Bop.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

HaMeR

I recited the Pledge myself just now. Thanks for sharing you & Jared's day with us all Bop!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyotehunter_1

Well done, James and Jared. :highclap:

Now I've got a lump in my throat and my old eyes are leaking a bit too.             
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Hawks Feather

Bop,

You not only reminded us that we should pause and pay respect to the flag, but you also were an excellent example for your son.  You did good!

Jerry

coyote101

Brought a tear to my eye. Thank you James.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bambam

Awesome ! Thanks for sharing.

Carolina Coyote

FOsteology

Bopeye

Aw shucks. I know that almost everyone on this board would do the same. That's why I like it here. Like minds flock together. Do yourself a great service though and give what I did a try. It will probably be different for everyone, but the Americans in your immediate vicinity WILL be affected in some form or another.
I couldn't help but think afterward about those that mocked or just stood silent if they didn't in some way feel their manhood somehow cheapened as they didn't have the intestinal fortitude to honor "Ole' Glory" right here in our own homeland? If you can't pay respects to her when it's easy, then how in the heck are you going to have the gonads to defend when that day comes?  :wink:

Glad you guys enjoyed. Jared told several people since then about what we did. Many didn't know what to say. I do know, as Jerry said, this will stick with him for awhile, hopefully his whole life. He can tell his grandkids about how he and his dad stood with an old vet and did what we did. I hope this country still resembles itself enough by then so that they will understand the significance of it.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

possumal

Bop, that was a great way to spend quality time with your family.  The grand old flag was really doing her stuff, wasn't she? :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

WldWldWest

Good for u Bop :congrats: Everyone should take time outta there day to do what you did, I'm proud of ya!

We say the pledge at our Sportsmans club before each monthly meeting and we have several members that fought in Vietnam and 2 that fought in WWII and it never fails that most get a little teared up during the saying of the Pledge of Allegiance.

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!