• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

14 yr old grandson stalked, called and bow killed a button buck today

Started by Okanagan, September 18, 2011, 12:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

No pics from him but a couple of excited phone calls.   He stalked close to three deer he'd spotted at a distance, and when one got nervous and started leaving, he made a doe bleat.  A doe came toward him but a button buck gave him a better broadside shot at 15 yards so he aimed behind the shoulder and shot.  He hit it a couple inches forward from where he aimed and broke the leg bone in its shoulder.  The hit deer circled a loop to leave so he called to it again and it stopped and turned to look straight at  him.  This time he hit it in the chest as it faced him at 25 yards.  It staggered ten yards and fell.

Next time he says he will aim for the middle of the ribs if the animal is broadside, to give himself more room to hit lungs if he is off an inch or two.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Congratulations for sure!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  I really like the way he learned form the 1st shot quickly. He will be a darn fine woodsman in just a few more years.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

possumal

Okanagan, you are getting better and better at making my favorite type posts, those involving our kids and grandkids.  Sounds like that boy has what it takes to be cool in the clutch, which is really necessary for bow hunting.  Not too bad a trait to have coyote hunting either when you stop to think about it.  Kudos to the young man and to all who have contributed to him being involve in the right kind of activities.  :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

vvarmitr

Now that's hunting!  :biggrin:
Congrats & thanks for sharing that w/ us. :congrats:

Okanagan

Quote from: possumal on September 18, 2011, 10:46:36 AM
Okanagan, you are getting better and better at making my favorite type posts, those involving our kids and grandkids.  Sounds like that boy has what it takes to be cool in the clutch, which is really necessary for bow hunting.  Not too bad a trait to have coyote hunting either when you stop to think about it.  Kudos to the young man and to all who have contributed to him being involve in the right kind of activities.  :congrats: :congrats:

Yep, there is something about maturity and patience that comes from being a grandparent that makes it extra good to hunt and fish with the grandkids.  I think grandparents are designed by nature to do a lot of the teaching and passing on of family values, that most parents are too busy and too young to do as well.

I pushed this boy's dad too hard when he was a boy back pack hunting with me.  I took him on some hard core timberline hunts after mule deer in near blizzard conditions, sleeping on the ground with no tent, and hunted from before daylight till after dark.  Now I have learned that if you take a youngster along, making sure that he has a good time is more important than getting a big rack of antlers or a big fish.  That may mean sleeping in, warm food, taking more time to teach him to feel what his lure or bait is doing on the bottom in current, etc.  If I had it to do over, I'd take my son on some more relaxed camp outs for small deer and would have left him home on the really tough ones till he was older.

As to this youngster's clutch shooting, he has turned a corner.  I didn't turn that same corner till I was 15.  I don't know how to describe it but mentally I went from trying to hit game (and succeeding some) to shooting it.  Put the sight on it and shoot it.  From try to do.  So far, this 14 year old is the only one of my grandsons that I am sure has made that transition, though the 12 year old may have.  Each person arrives at this point at a different time. 

Grandparents with a wallet full of grandkid photos and a story about each are one of life's annoyances.  I'll try not to do that on the forum here, but post stuff that really does have some hunting or fishing value.  And you and I can indulge one another.  :laf:  I read posts about kids and grandkids, whether I comment or not.

possumal

No annoyance for this old possum, as the experiences I have had with my boys and grandsons rate right at the top of my outdoors experiences. The day my grandson, Jonathan, not only killed his first coyote, but was part of a double the two of us pulled off, ranks right up at the top of my storybook.  It all worked just like I predicted it would, as far as when and where the coyotes showed up.  Jonathan got first shot, and missed a big female at 180 yds, and was about to flip out as a result, this being about his 3rd miss since starting hunting with me.  I got him settled and stopped her for a 200 yd shot, and he dropped her DRT.  He was about to jump up for joy but I motioned to him to stay put, and the big old male showed up about 100 yds up the hill from where his wife was now laying.  I busted him dead center in the chest, bang flop, but he jumped up and tried hard to get down the hill to his beloved, flipped over and slid about the last 20 yds and was laying there within ten yards of her.   Jonathan was so emotional about that double that I thought he might fly home with no airplane.  Male weighed 52 lbs and the female 46 lbs..  Here is a picture of that pair just for remembering's sake.

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

WldWldWest

2 great stories in one post!!! Ya'll are doing right by those kids, Keep it up!!!

Congratulations to all involved!!!

Thats the kinda Granpa I hope to be soon!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

FOsteology

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

code

"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

shaddragger

:congrats: From the story telling to the story itself, that had a lot of depth, from both the subject and the narrator. Sounds like both of you have turned a corner. Congrats.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

riverboss

Great story it sounds like he will make you proud time and time again.  :yoyo:

nastygunz

Theres a reason many cultures revere the "village elders"...accumulated wisdom and knowledge  :yoyo:

Okanagan

Hey, Code, would you post a pic of your deer?  I could do it with what you sent me but it is your deer and since you are registered now, it is yours to decide.   :congrats:

code

"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

Okanagan

This young man's 2011 deer, a button buck.  His first bow kill.

His first deer, taken last year in 2010, with a .243.

code

KySongDog

Congrats!  Any deer with a bow is a real trophy.  And stalked it to boot!   :highclap:

iahntr

Scott