• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

'08 Moose hunt

Started by Tikaani, September 21, 2008, 01:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

Moose hunt went well.  Spent four days up north in the Sawtooth Mountains and only saw a cow and calf.  Packed up and traveled 350 miles south into the Alaska Range.   Stayed there for three days on Brushkana Creek, again only cows no bulls.  Traveled back north to the Sawtooth on the ninth and saw a moose in the high 50s maybe a sixty, but darkness fell and he went into the spruce thickets, no shot.  Woke up the next morning and called in a 40" and shot him, had him quartered and on the Argo in an hour.  Went home, skinned the quarters on the meat pole and let it hang for a few days.  Left again the next day to bring in a friend to see if he could get one, saw a black bear with two cubs, probably came off the gut pile from the moose I shot earlier, no luck with another moose though.  He is not a big one but he will feed Dian and I for the winter.

Hunt hard, Die tired
Alaska, coldest State........Hottest Governor
John

These pictures are from the first trip north.  Wall tent first evening.

Watching for bulls

Alaska Range Brushkana Creek.  Switched tents at this camp

Marty and Myself

Waiting in Argos while Marty went after a caribou

My Argo

Headwaters Brushkana

Back up to the Sawtooth for second time.
Mark and Myself

After getting the moose returned home and returned north with a friend for the third time.
The Sawtooth

Always glassing

Sunset last evening

Yours truly, last morning, waiting on coffee

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

weedwalker

Great pictures Tikaani. :yoyo: You're living the life we can only dream of.

Bills Custom Calls

Yeah what Ed said,some awesome pics
Thanks for sharing.Can we see some pics of the lead slinger you carry on your side  :eyebrow:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

KySongDog

That is some great scenery!  Thanks for posting those.    :congrats:    Awesome country.

That hog leg on your side looks like a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag, right??   :wo:

alscalls

Truly an Awesome Adventure!!....... :congrats:   Glad everyone stayed safe.    Any equipment troubles John?
Thanks for sharing I was about to bust.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Man o man...that looks like it would be so fun.
So you took these Argos the entire trip?... or were ya's dropped off and left with them?

Sure is some beautiful looking country over there. :eyebrow:
Can't tell ya how much we enjoy your pics. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Tikaani

Semp, your right 44 Ruger SB, wear it all day, sleep with it all night.  Never know what lurks.

Alscalls,  Bent my left front axle when I hit a tree on the first trip north, repaired it in between third and fourth trip.  It was my fault, hit a tree going faster then I should have for the conditions.

Jim,  We trailer the Argos to the trail heads, leave our trucks, from there it is a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive in.  After getting the moose, Mark and I left the wall tent up and some gear, I knew I would be going back in.

Hunt hard, Die tired
John

Okanagan

Tikaani,  Thanks for the great photo story.  Really enjoyed it. Congrats on the moose.

securpro

now I am very jealous, :yoyo: I wish I had never read that story  :wo: congrats tikaani thats awsome  :yoyo: :yoyo:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

FinsnFur

2 1/2 hour drive in on the Argos.
Man talk about getting in the middle of nowhere :yoyo: :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

One of these days I'll need to make it that far North.... awesome scenery. Congrats on your Moose and thanks for taking the time to share with us. Enjoyed the pictures!

possumal

Good Lord, what beautiful country.  You are truly a lucky man, and we are lucky to have you share with us. Thanks.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

slagmaker

Beautifull country you were hunting in there. Congratulations on a sucesfull hunt and thank you for the wonderfull pictures
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Frogman

Great photos!!

Thanks for posting!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

iahntr

Beautiful country!! Great pics!
Thanks for sharin em with us John.
Congrats on the moose.
Scott

Hawks Feather

Those are some beautiful pictures.  I loved looking at them.  Nice moose too.

Jerry

Coulter

Absolutely awesome pics John...I'm saving my pennies man someday :biggrin:

Until then I have to find a towel and wipe my keyboard off. It seems to have a bit of drool that puddled up on it. :wo:

How is the wolf hunting/trapping/snaring looking for ya this year? I'm looking forward to hearing some more of those stories as well :biggrin: Congrats on the moose, you'll eat good this winter :wink:

Steve

Tikaani

Steve,

Heading to the North Slope in March for a week to hunt wolves on snow machines.  Trapping will be minimal this year, maybe work on getting some lynx and just foolin around north of town.  Heading for bear this weekend, nothing serious just go out in the Argo and see what happens.

John