Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Freshwater / Re: Sockeye
« Last post by Okanagan on Today at 03:12:34 PM »
A photo of my sockeye rig as used on the river this morning.  There is 11 feet of leader between the swivel and the hook with yarn on it.  This one caught two fish.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hooked and played four fish to land two, both pretty good sized males.   Fresh from salt water, no color change nor hook jaw yet.

The pic below shows my kayak in the upper right, and the channel I paddle across.  I park on the island where the white vehicle is showing across the wide side channel of river.

A friend met me there in his boat this morning and we had one of those Great fishing mornings.  After he got his limit he kept on catching and releasing fish, experimenting with no corkie, less weight, etc. I tried his suggestion of a yarn fly only with no corkie, which I have used at times, and this morning it was hot.  Then I fly fished for few minutes before heading home and my last intended cast hooked and landed a dandy sockeye on a #4 size fly and 8 lbs. tippet.  Released that one and quit.  I'd love to catch and release a bunch but it is hard on the fish and I want them to survive and make more little sockeye. 

« Last post by Okanagan on Today at 03:02:17 PM »
Pat, we eat lots fresh, our favorite.  I smoke quite a bit and am getting the flavor dialed in to our taste. Smoked salmon is drool on my self good!  We would rather give fresh sockeye to friends who appreciate the fresh unfrozen fish than we would to freeze it, though I freeze some when we get quite a lot, like today.  I really like home canned salmon but lost my pressure cooker somewhere along the way in a move and have not replaced it.   

The Tailgate / Re: What is this? 8-14
« Last post by Todd Rahm on Today at 02:51:04 PM »
Looks ore like a mid evil tool or Nasty Wedgy Removal Tool.  :biggrin:
« Last post by coyote101 on Today at 11:54:19 AM »
Great pictures  :yoyo: thanks for sharing.  :biggrin: Do you can, smoke, freeze, or just cook and eat the sockeye?

Pat
The Annual LBL Hunt / Re: 2019 LBL dates?
« Last post by coyote101 on Today at 10:41:05 AM »
Go to the top of this page and vote.  :readthis: So far the "stick with the first full weekend of February" votes have it.

Pat
« Last post by nastygunz on Today at 10:11:20 AM »
I actually just took a spoon and honed a knife edge on the front of it and it works perfectly for peeling out grapefruit or oranges, cantaloupe or anything like that. Hurts like a bastard when I mix it up with my ice cream spoon though  :innocentwhistle: :alscalls:
« Last post by nastygunz on Today at 10:09:29 AM »
I never miss a grapefruit every morning with my coffee keeps you good and regular💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
The Tailgate / Today in history 8-16
« Last post by remrogers on Today at 09:49:14 AM »
Gold discovered in the Yukon

While salmon fishing near the Klondike River in Canada’s Yukon Territory on this day in 1896, George Carmack reportedly spots nuggets of gold in a creek bed. His lucky discovery sparks the last great gold rush in the American West.

Hoping to cash in on reported gold strikes in Alaska, Carmack had traveled there from California in 1881. After running into a dead end, he headed north into the isolated Yukon Territory, just across the Canadian border. In 1896, another prospector, Robert Henderson, told Carmack of finding gold in a tributary of the Klondike River. Carmack headed to the region with two Native American companions, known as Skookum Jim and Tagish Charlie. On August 16, while camping near Rabbit Creek, Carmack reportedly spotted a nugget of gold jutting out from the creek bank. His two companions later agreed that Skookum Jim–Carmack’s brother-in-law–actually made the discovery.

Regardless of who spotted the gold first, the three men soon found that the rock near the creek bed was thick with gold deposits. They staked their claim the following day. News of the gold strike spread fast across Canada and the United States, and over the next two years, as many as 50,000 would-be miners arrived in the region. Rabbit Creek was renamed Bonanza, and even more gold was discovered in another Klondike tributary, dubbed Eldorado.

“Klondike Fever” reached its height in the United States in mid-July 1897 when two steamships arrived from the Yukon in San Francisco and Seattle, bringing a total of more than two tons of gold. Thousands of eager young men bought elaborate “Yukon outfits” (kits assembled by clever marketers containing food, clothing, tools and other necessary equipment) and set out on their way north. Few of these would find what they were looking for, as most of the land in the region had already been claimed. One of the unsuccessful gold-seekers was 21-year-old Jack London, whose short stories based on his Klondike experience became his first book, The Son of the Wolf (1900).

For his part, Carmack became rich off his discovery, leaving the Yukon with $1 million worth of gold. Many individual gold miners in the Klondike eventually sold their stakes to mining companies, who had the resources and machinery to access more gold. Large-scale gold mining in the Yukon Territory didn’t end until 1966, and by that time the region had yielded some $250 million in gold. Today, some 200 small gold mines still operate in the region.
« Last post by remrogers on Today at 09:47:46 AM »
Nasty nailed this one. It is a grapefruit segmenter, but I believe a knife works just as well.
« Last post by nastygunz on Yesterday at 11:38:24 PM »
That there is what we amateurs call " technical fishing".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10