• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Cabela’s Jerky Blaster (since the first got deleted)

Started by Hawks Feather, November 22, 2010, 08:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

Cabela’s Jerky Blaster

Last year I mentioned that I had used the Cabela’s Jerky Blaster and that it had worked pretty well for me.  At that time I didn’t have any meat to “blast” so this review has been on hold since then.  I decided to change the format a little with this review and give the pictures first and the actual write up afterwards.

Inside of the Cabela’s Jerky Blaster box you will find everything you need to make your own ground meat jerky.

Here is a picture of the Blaster gun with the funnel attached and the trays that come in the kit.

The funnel is used to assist in packing the meat into the gun.

Here is the Jerky Blaster with the twin spout attached and ready to go.

The Blaster in action.  So simple even I can do it.

Jerky on the trays and ready for the oven.

I think it should be noted here that I am using GROUND meat for this Jerky, which I like better than TRADITIONAL strips.  The ground is much easier to eat, which is why I like it.  I do like traditional jerky, but I don’t have to chew this nearly as long.

The Cabela’s Jerky Blaster retails for $49.99, but I got mine on sale for $10.00 less.  I guess to be totally correct, my wife got it for me as an early Christmas present last year.  (Yes, that is Christmas with a capital C.)  Inside the kit is the Blaster (think of a caulking gun made for meat), three racks, a “catch” pan for under the racks, a funnel that screws on the end of the Blaster to aid in filling the tube, four nozzles (both a single and double for making flat 1/8 x 3/4 inch strips and 1/2 inch round Jerky), a cleaning brush, and last but not least the Jerky seasoning (for 20 pounds of meat) to get you started.

I had fifteen pounds of meat that I wanted to make into jerky.  That may sound like a lot, but when the moisture is gone it will weigh less.  Then when my son-in-law arrives it will weigh even less.  I had already used enough of the ingredients to make five pounds of jerky last year, so I mixed the remaining seasoning and cure packets together with a cup and a half of cold water.  This needs to set for fifteen minutes and during that time I stirred it several more times.  By the end of the fifteen minutes, there was only a little that had settled to the bottom of the mixing glass.  I split the meat into five-pound sections for mixed the curing ingredients.  I don’t have any kind of commercial mixer, so it was the old use your hands mixer.  When I had the curing ingredients mixed into the meat I covered it and put it back into the refrigerator.  The directions say that you need to leave it marinate for at least one hour, but other directions say overnight.  I chose to leave it go overnight and did take the ground meat out several times to mix it some more.  This morning it was “show time”.

I took one of the batches of meat out and assembled the Jerky Blaster.  I liked the flat strips that I made last year and decided to use the flat double nozzle this year.  Prior to putting the nozzle on, I needed to pack the blaster.  I used the funnel the first couple of times I filled the gun, but after that I didn’t put it on.  I found (last year and again this year) that it helps to have something to push the meat into the Blaster tube.  I used the “stomper” that came with the 1/2 horse Cabela’s meat grinder and it fit perfectly.  There is not much room for air to escape, so if you use the stomper you don’t want to fill the tube and then try to compress it into the tube.  This is not necessary, but it kept me from needing to refill the tube as often.  Once filled, I screwed on the double nozzle and started compressing the meat by pulling the handle.  This works just like a caulking gun and there was not much pressure needed.  Once compressed, I started making the strips on the drying racks.  I could fill about half a rack before needing to refill the tube.  Refilling the tube took longer than pressing out all of the strips.  Once one tray was full it was on to the second, then the third rack, and into the oven.  The racks come with the Jerky Blaster Kit and they are worth the money.  Without them I would be doing one tray at a time on the splatter screen that my wife uses when cooking.  This is much quicker.  I had preheated the oven to 200 degrees so it was ready and waiting.  After an hour and fifteen minutes I took the trays out and turned the strips. I did spray the racks with cooking oil to help eliminate any sticking.  I am not sure that this is really needed, but it allowed me to turn the strips without any sticking.  After turning the strips they go back into the oven for an additional hour.  At that point you can test your strips and see if you would like to have them a little dryer or if they are where you want them.  When they reach your expectations, you can take them off the trays and package them.  While it is not necessary, I package mine in Foodsaver vacuum packs and put them in the freezer.

Cabela’s Jerky Blaster Pros:  This is extremely easy to use and makes great jerky.  There is not much pressure that is needed to force the meat out of the tube and the double nozzles are a real time saver.  While the unit is largely plastic, it is heavy enough that I don’t think it will fall apart.  The tube being plastic also makes it easy to clean.  The stackable racks save space and are an asset.   You can purchase additional racks if needed.

Jerky Blaster Cons:  Like I said, while it is not necessary, I would like to see a stomper added to the package so that compressing the meat in the tube would be simpler.  If interested, I believe that you can buy the stomper separate from the grinder and without it there the cost of the Jerky Blaster Kit is a little less.

Jerry

Update:  I just went to Cabela's site and it looks like they have a different model now.  The good news is that it has the stomper included.

KySongDog

Good review, Jerry.  It seems easy enough that even I could do it. 

pitw

I've got the same attachment for my sausage stuffer and they do work great.  I do need some of them trays and grills though.  Then the wife may let me in the house. :wink:
I say what I think not think what I say.

msmith

Great write up and pics Jerry! I like how with your kit, you can stack the trays. That would be quite handy.

Big Dawg has some kind of a jerky shooter, but his doesn't have the double barrel attachment. I'd rather use the oven, but him and the Mrs. use a dehydrator.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori