• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Magnet used in Mounting Scopes

Started by Carolina Coyote, December 12, 2010, 11:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

In the past I have had problems of assuring that the Barrel of the rifle was level when mounting a Scope and to prevent Canting the scope, I recently came across a small Magnet 1/8 x 1/2 x 3 inches that is strong enough to hold a small level, the Magnet can be placed across the Action in the Rifle or Scope mount that really has help me when mounting scopes. These Magnets are relatively inexpensive but the get you on the shipping but still worth what it cost I think. I have attached some pictures of how I use the Magnet and a link were they can be purchased, or just search Magnets on the net, several places carry them. I paid $5 bucks for the magnet and $7.50 for shipping but found the site listed below that has them for $2.19, probably could order several to save on shipping. I am also looking for a site that has a Cube level that is about 1/2 inch long that could be glued to the Magnet, found where they are made in China but min order is 5000, don't need that many. cc

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=894

weedwalker

Carl, I use 2 string levels that you can buy at Wally World for about a $1.99 apiece in the hardware section. They're about 3" long. I lay one across a level section of the gun and get it level in the gun rest. Then lay the other one on top of the up-down adjustment cover on top of the scope. They work great. Here's a picture. The ones I found had yellow plastic ends but are the same thing. You could maybe mount one on a magnet somehow. :wo:

CCP

Pretty cool CC never seen it done quiet like that. Thanks for sharing.  :highclap:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

CCP

CC once you get the scope lined I made some Targets you can print out to take to the range to get it tuned in.  :laf:

I made them 8"x11" so they will print on  regular copy paper. Send any donations to the Bop target fund.

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

weedwalker

pitw

Oh boy I'm never letting you look at my scope mounting practice :doh2:.  I guess I never worried about level cause then people might get the mistake I'm level headed :shrug:.  Thanks for sharing the ideas though  :bowingsmilie:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

Quote from: CCP on December 12, 2010, 11:56:25 AM
CC once you get the scope lined I made some Targets you can print out to take to the range to get it tuned in.  :laf:

I made them 8"x11" so they will print on  regular copy paper. Send any donations to the Bop target fund.

These targets are best  used with remington yellow jacket rounds
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Carolina Coyote

Here is what I would like, tried to post picture but can't figure out how to do right now.

http://www.huide-level.com/en/productsmore.asp?pic=265

CCP , I will for sure print out some of the Targets. Poor OLD BOP.  :laf:  :laf:  :laf:

CCP

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Carolina Coyote

I just printed one of those Targets, Cool cool Cool.  :thumb2:  :yahoo:

Carolina Coyote

Thanks Richard, Anyone know where to buy vials like that? cc

weedwalker

Sorry Carl, I didn't look at your pictures close enough. You already had the small levels. :doh2:

Ed

Carolina Coyote

Yes ED I do have some small levels but would like to find some like in the Picture that Richard posted for me. Could just glue one of those onto the magnet and WALA.  :eyebrownod: cc

Bopeye

All the OBAMA pics out there and you use mine!!!!   :eyebrownod:  I'm getting more popular with each day.  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Carolina Coyote

I like what Slag said about using the Remington Yellow Jacket Rounds.  :biggrin: cc

KySongDog

Leveling the gun and scope is the right way to do it for sure.

I just eyeball it.   :shrug:

FinsnFur

Carl You can buy those vials at a lot of places...here's a list with links. http://www.empirelevel.com/locator.asp
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: Semp on December 12, 2010, 02:58:02 PM
Leveling the gun and scope is the right way to do it for sure.

I just eyeball it.   :shrug:

Unbelievable :shock2: :shock2:   We agree on something  :laf: :laf:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Well now, we'll have to make sure that doesn't happen again, won't we?   :eyebrownod:

Carolina Coyote

I think a lot of people just eyeball it, but I like to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of the rifle I can, I need all the help I can get. Seriously even just a small Cant affects the accuracy, you really cannot zero a rifle with a Canted Scope, when you move one reticule it affect the other reticule, I have seen several rifles with Canted scopes and the owners say well I just Cant the rifle, That don' t work, if you truly want a accurate Rifle a proper Scope mount is essential , which includes more than just getting it straight and level.

Thanks Jimbo I will check that link. cc