• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Magnet used in Mounting Scopes

Started by Carolina Coyote, December 12, 2010, 11:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on December 12, 2010, 03:59:36 PM
  if you truly want a accurate Rifle a proper Scope mount is essential , which includes more than just getting it straight and level.

But then what excuse's are left  :shrug:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

:laf:  :laf:  :laf: I have a friend that is a good shot but every time he misses its always the Scope, so I guess for some that's enough reason.  :nono: cc

Carolina Coyote

Jim, I checked that link and could not find the little Levels like the picture CCP posted, I can find where they are made but they have min orders of 5000 , just would like to find were I could buy a couple, Camera stores have some that has a shoe on them so you can attach to you camera but I just want a plain one or two.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on December 12, 2010, 04:22:39 PM
Jim, I checked that link and could not find the little Levels like the picture CCP posted, I can find where they are made but they have min orders of 5000 , just would like to find were I could buy a couple, Camera stores have some that has a shoe on them so you can attach to you camera but I just want a plain one or two.

Yeah it seems as though a lot of those companies are calling the complete level itself, a vial.  :confused:

I did a little searching this morning and did find several companies in China that made these little vials  :doh2:
I did it by searching Google Images, with the words 'level vial" then when the results comes up, go to the page that the image originates from.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

I have been doing that search for several weeks looking for a retailer in America that sells them, I sent an Email to one of the company's in China to see if they would give me the name of a retailer, have not heard back from them, not all that important to find them as I can do what I need to do with what I got, just thought it would be a nice little gadget to have around. cc

vvarmitr

Scope leveling is something that I wonder about. :wo:

Actually, I think that the scope needs to be plumb.
Being that the vertical cross hair needs to bisect the bore of the rifle to be devoid of cant.
I can see where leveling can help, but there are to many variables to get near perfect.

I've tried different things, but haven't figured a good way to do it yet.  :sad:
So I just eyeball it.  :alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:

Carolina Coyote

James, If the Scope is level it is also plumb, whether or not the scope is centered with the Bore of the barrel is irreverent but the scope must be Level and Plumb with the axis of the barrel other wise when you make adjustments either Windage or Elevations it affect both reticles, when Level and Plumb adjust the Windage and it only affect left or right, adjust Elevation it only affect up or down.  :readthis: cc

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

You da man Jimbo, pretty neat little trinkets and for sure just what I have been looking for.  :bowingsmilie:  :bowingsmilie: Thankyou very much cc

vvarmitr

Yotehntr

:confused:  So if the gun and scope are perfectly level/plumb.... but when you put the gun on your shoulder how do you know you're holding it level/plumb.... you just doing it by "eye"?  :alscalls: .... Sorry but IMO it's all a wash unless you shoot with the level mounted on your gun.  :wink:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Carolina Coyote

I am not impressed with this guys technique, he did not say anything about lapping the rings, torque on the bolts or how he verified the rifle was parallel with the scope. I am not and expert on mounting scopes but there is a lot more to mounting one correctly than in this video, but to what it come down to I guess is to each his own. Depends on just how accurate you want you rifle to be. cc

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on March 14, 2011, 12:00:43 PM
I am not impressed with this guys technique

I agree, but thought that it was more of a "for the average person" type of video.  It might be interesting to know how many on here (besides you and me) lap their rings.

Jerry

vvarmitr

Quote from: Yotehntr on March 14, 2011, 11:45:55 AM
Sorry but IMO it's all a wash unless you shoot with the level mounted on your gun.  :wink:
Absolutely.  ;yes;

possumal

Lowe's handles a nice magnetic level that works well for that purpose.  Sells for about $5.00
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Carolina Coyote

I agree, but thought that it was more of a "for the average person" type of video.  It might be interesting to know how many on here (besides you and me) lap their rings.

I think you are Right Jerry, seems most people don't believe that it makes a difference, I started this tread with a couple of gadgets that worked well for me not to start a pissing contest. cc

pitw

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on March 15, 2011, 12:50:30 PM
  I started this tread with a couple of gadgets that worked well for me not to start a pissing contest. cc

Dang :biggrin:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

CC,

Fine tuning is not for everybody.  Personally I will take advantage of any legal and fair advantage that will help me shoot better.  I have an earlier version of this that I use.   http://www.brownells.com/1/1/19390-exd-engineering-vertical-reticle-instrument-vertical-reticle-instrument-exd-engineering.html   I like it and think that it helps me when I install a scope, but that is just me.  I have been told many times that I spend too much time tweaking and making micro adjustments when it comes to shooting.  I have several items from here  http://www.neconos.com/  that are also worthless to many people.  Not me, but many people.  As for having a level on my rifle scopes, I have to admit that about a half dozen that are installed because I can cant a rifle quicker than many people can say "what".  The exception is the bench gun with the flat bottom and on that one I just level the front rest.    :biggrin:

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

I agree fine tuning may not be for everyone, I like you want every advantage I can get out of the rifle and I was not trying  to say that anyone was doing anything wrong, to each his own. I enjoy tinkering with my guns to squeeze out as much accuracy as I can get out of them, from my experience it has paid good dividends for me.  :eyebrownod: cc

vvarmitr

Sorry Carl! I wasn't trying to start a pissing contest.  :holdon:
There was other info in there I thought would help some w/ setting up their scopes.
Since this is a good thread, IMO, about scope mounting I thought I'd set it in here.