• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Passing on a bear story from grandson Code

Started by Okanagan, September 06, 2017, 10:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Not sure how easy it is for Code to access the internet right now, and he is a young man now too busy with life to keep up with it all.  He phoned the other day to tell me a bear story.  Bow season is open for deer and bear in WA State plus rifle season is open for bear.

He and two friends were walking slowly into an area where they had helped a cousin get a bear a couple of weeks ago, and Code kept hearing something in the brush off to one side, seemingly moving with them.  Finally he saw blackberry bushes moving like they were being pulled down and tried to get an angle to find out if it was a bear or some other berry eater from squirrel to birds to maybe even coyote or deer.

He lip squeaked and the critter got curious enough that he finally saw its back and knew that it was a bear.   He said "Hey," to the bear and it lifted its head above the bushes. I think he ranged it but however they measured, it turned out to be 38 yards.   He kept lip squeaking once in awhile all through this.  His friend with a rifle got into a good position with his bipod so Code asked if he could hit a bear's head at 38 yards.  The friend said yes and that he was ready so Code said " Hey!" again.  The bear lifted its head and boom.  Medium sized fat boar, dressed out about 135 lbs. if I recall right, and I don't trust my recall anymore. 

Code was confident that the lip squeaking kept the bear interested enough not to run off and kept it hanging around till they got ready to shoot.  I did similar with a bear several years ago, lip squeaked with intent to hold a nearby bear's attention and keep it from leaving till a bow hunting friend moved a few steps into position and shot it.

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

That was a nice Sunday morning read.
Well done Code!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

Excellent story, thanks for passing it along.  That young man has more experiences in the outdoors than this old man.......
When they come for mine they better bring theirs