• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Spring turkey season is under way

Started by coyote101, April 19, 2019, 07:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

The farm I usually hunt is planted in wheat, and that wheat is very tall for this time of year. The turkeys will go into the wheat, but they are hard to see and the gobblers don't strut in it. So, Tuesday morning I went to a friend's place to try my luck.

About 7:30 I spotted a gobbler a couple of hundred yards away. I yelped at him and he puffed up and looked my way. I knew he could see my strutting gobbler decoy so I yelped a few more times hoping he would come check out the intruder. In short order, he started walking my way and I knew I had him. I got the gun up and waited as he closed the distance. He came strutting right up to my gobbler decoy, about twenty yards away, and when he raised his head I pulled the trigger. Down he went and I had my first turkey of the 2019 season.

Just a couple ounces shy of twenty-three pounds.

Thompson/Center Encore 12 gauge with Federal TSS 3rd Degree turkey loads.

I still have a couple of weeks to get another one.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

Awesome Pat.  What is an average weight?  That green stuff looks kinda weird. :confused:
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

Quote from: pitw on April 19, 2019, 09:19:24 PM
Awesome Pat.  What is an average weight? 

That green stuff looks kinda weird. :confused:

Around here I think 18-20 pounds would be average for a mature tom.

Everything is already green here. The wheat on the farm I usually hunt is knee high already.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

What is TSS?  Our wheat is still in the bin. :laf:  How long does it take for a turkey to come 200 yds?  I'm betting Bam bam could take a nap waiting. :laught17:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

How TSS shotgun shell perform better than lead:

TSS stands for “tungsten super shot.”
Tungsten is denser and harder than lead.
Whereas water is 1 g/cc in density, lead 11.3 g/cc, tungsten is 18 g/cc.
The density allows the TSS to fly further.
Hardness allows shot to maintain its form, thus create a better pattern.
Tighter patterns make smaller gauges more viable on longer shots.

Hawks Feather

And the turkey eliminator is back.  Way to go.

bambam

Quote from: pitw on April 19, 2019, 10:43:43 PM
What is TSS?  Our wheat is still in the bin. :laf:  How long does it take for a turkey to come 200 yds?  I'm betting Bam bam could take a nap waiting. :laught17:

A gobbler can cover 200 yards in a very short time, or it can take all day . I have actually dosed off a few times waiting on gobblers to get done with the hens.

Congrats Coyote101, nice bird !!!

nastygunz

Turkeys are like  women, you sort of kind of think you know what they might do but you're never 100% sure  :biggrin:  sure looks like a beautiful day in that first picture.  :yoyo:

riverboss

Good job Pat! Your the turkey whisper

Sent from my Tank Xtreme 5.0 using Tapatalk

Todd Rahm

HaMeR

You laid the smack down on that brute Pat!! Congratulations!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11