• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Question on reloading for an AR?

Started by coyotehunter_1, May 26, 2007, 10:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotehunter_1

I reload for my NEF Ultra in 223 using a standard full length resizing die but have never reloaded for an AR. I have a question... are small base dies needed for an AR type action or will standard dies work?  :confused:

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

CCP

I use standard dies when loading  for my friends .223 AR and don't have a problem. My whisper is a hole nuther animal.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

coyotehunter_1

Thanks, Rich !  :biggrin:
I have zero experience reloading for an AR.

I'll bet that little wildcat can be "fun" to reload for...  :wink:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

CCP

QuoteI'll bet that little wildcat can be "fun" to reload for...

One of the reasons I love it.

I seem to think there were many more here that could give input??

I think this forum may be to easily over looked :confused:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

cb223

I use regular FL sizing dies for my AR's. The only problem I ran into was sizing to far, pushing the shoulder back to far. When fired it stretched the brass back out, basically over working the brass. It caused case head separation after only 2-3 loadings. I fixed it by getting a .223 case gauge and setting the die to the max. length of the gauge.

As far as feeding I've never had any problems.
CHAD

ohiobob

I use FL dies and I have had no problems feeding or ruptering,but here in another week or 2 I will put the cases through round # 2,,the ONLY thing I had to do because the 223 Dies are my sons is I had to make sure the overall length was short enough to go into the magazine ok,,I have a Bushmaster Predator and i have the overall length right on the limit
well when i tried my first loads in my factory 5 shot Bushmaster magazine they would bind up on 3 rounds BUT when I put them in a Military magazine I bought off of returning GI's they fit fine,not a LOT of room to spare But more room than my factory Bushmaster magazine
Bog
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Hawks Feather

I have had limited reloading for my Armalite, but I have not done a "complete" resizing of the cases and have not had any problems.  I use a Chamber-All to check and just slightly set the shoulder  which also starts to resize the top of the sides.  I used 20 rounds for load development and reloaded them about five times with no problem.  When I found a load l liked I loaded 200 and still haven't shot them all.  It is too much fun shooting the .221.

Jerry

ohiobob

Jerry
what type of Bullet are you loading ? any V-Max loads? or any 40 grn or 45 grn screamer loads that YOU have worked up? I had a guy at work tell me a few months ago about a 40 Grn Nosler Ballistic tip load that he just RAVED about,he said the accuracy was GREAT,,when I asked what type of rest he was shooting off of he said,," oh it wasn't me"
it was my Cousins BUDDY that was shooting this load and he heard ABOUT IT  :doh2:
But I have been thinking of going to the 40 Grn Nosler BT for the 22-250 and the AR-15 so ANY help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated  :congrats:
Thank you
Bob

Hawks Feather

Bob,

I have been running 55 grain bullets in the AR - some cheap one and some of the ballistic tips.  Both hit the same point of aim, but the groups are smaller with the ballistic tips.  While I have 35 and 40 grain ballistic tips, they are not as accurate in my .221 or .223s.  The 35 do really well in the hornet and can that is without any screaming loads.  I normally don't push the envelope too much for speed.  I have usually found that one (accurate) round in the head does the job very well.  I am also not taking real long shots on hogs with either the .221 or .223, 200 yards is about it.  Beyond that and the head looks kinda small.  If I am going for distance I will take the 6BR - just as accurate and better wind resistance beyond 200 yards.

Jerry

ohiobob

Jerry
that makes sense,,I HAVE been thinking of using the 223 for closer shots and the 22-250 for long shots on Groundhogs
OR maybe I will just take the 22-250 BUT i am going to try to find some loads for the smaller,faster ballistic tips and experiment with them,,my reloading room is about 75% done and I am going to try and finish the room real quick so I can load these small bullets BUT today I FEEL LIKE HELL so I don't know how much I will get done in the next few days  :sad:
Thank you
Bob

Hawks Feather

RCBS reloading data has worked pretty well for me.  If you don't have their reloading manual and want, I can share a few of their suggested loads.  I would need to know what powders you have.

Jerry

ohiobob

Jerry
I have IMR 4895 and Varget,,BUT i sort of figured I would have to buy a differnet Powder for the smaller lighter Bullets?
I was leaning towards the 40 Grn Nosler Ballistic Tips BUT I am open to ANY suggestions
Thank you VERY MUCH
Bob

Hawks Feather

Bob,

Nosler manual, 22-250, 40 grain ballistic

Varget is the most accurate powder tested
34.0 grains most accurate load - 3,625 fps
36.0 grains - 3,863 fps
38.0 grains - 4,100 fps

IMR-4895
32.0 grains - 3,395 fps
34.0 grains - 3,678 fps
36.0 grains most accurate load for 4895 - 3,961 fps

Sierra Manual - 40 grain BlitzKing (ballistic tip)

They list Vihtavuori N-140 as the most accurate powder (which you don't have)

Varget
34.9 grains - 3,600 fps
35.7 grains - 3,700 fps
36.5 grains - 3,800 fps
37.3 grains (max load) - 3,900 fps

IMR-4895
34.1 grains - 3,600 fps
34.8 grains - 3,700 fps
35.5 grains - 3,800 fps
36.1 grains - 3,900 fps
36.8 grains (max load) - 4,000 fps

This will give you an idea of some loads for your 22-250 using 40 grain ballistic tip bullets. Should allow you to burn a box of bullets working on loads.   Seems to me at 4,000 fps you would only need to get close to have the groundhog explode.   :biggrin:

Have fun,

Jerry

ohiobob

Jerry
I thank you very much,,and as soon as I am over this friggin sickness AND get my reloading room 90% done I am going to get me a box of those little itty bitty bullets and try them out  :biggrin: I GRATELY APPRECIATE your assistance as I do not have those manuals  :highclap:
Thank you VERY MUCH !!!
Bob