• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

falcon or hawk. i dont know. but its cool

Started by BasinBoy, July 03, 2007, 03:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasinBoy

i didnt know were to post this so im gonna do it in here. does any body know what this is if its a falcon or hawk. hope ya like the pics. sorry about the quality

BasinBoy

or maybe its a osprey. i dont know. can anybody help me out

keekee

Hard to tell in the pic's. But looks like it may be a osprey. Were was the pic taken and when? I thought ospreys nested in the fall but not really sure?

Brent

BasinBoy

it was taken yesterday. july 2nd.  it was taken near steinaker resivour in Vernal UT

Hawks Feather

I am voting for the Osprey.  They usually build a nest like that on top of a pole or tree with the limbs gone.  Also since it was close to water would also be a good bet for the Osprey.  Bald Eagles usually nest close to water, but that isn't an eagle.

Jerry

FinsnFur

No idea here, I dont even know what an offspray is  :confused:

Sounds like something that happens when the kids try to nail me with the super soaker but the wind carries the stream off to the side and I go unskaifed...offspray.  :eyebrownod:

Nice pics though, glad ya brought em in. Cool find.  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

Well it's not a falcon. Falcon's have a very even profile of feathers on their wings. And it sure ain't a red tail or red shoulder hawk which are two of the largest hawk species. I'll have to google [scratch that...oh shit, how do I search now?] on osprey and see how it lines up. Clearly the nest seems similar to eagle/osprey.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Quote from: studabaka on July 03, 2007, 10:52:11 PM

I'll have to google [scratch that...oh shit, how do I search now?]

:roflmao: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

:puke: I googled..... sorry guys  :doh2:

I'm thinking osprey too, though the one trait that doesn't seem to fit is that ospreys wings are supposed to have a notable bend at the elbow which I don't see in the pic. However, the coloring matches up well, the nest matches up well, and the uneven wing tip feathering is clearly hawk [aka hawk, eagle, osprey, vulture].

Send the pic to your wildlife guys and I'm sure they will advise the 'correct' answer. Let us know.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

BasinBoy

im going past there again tomorrow so ill have to see if i can get a better pic

Nelson

I vote for an Osprey.  I see them most everyday.

Nelson

Bopeye

I'm not a zoologist, so my best guess is that is some kind of bird of prey........... :innocentwhistle: :biggrin:

Neat pictures though.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Hawks Feather

Bop,

Are you saying that is some kind of a religious bird?  If so, it is pray.

Jerry

Pilgrim

vvarmitr

NASA

I agree with all.  It is definitely an osprey.   Eagles and ospreys build huge nests.  Falcons build very small, shallow nests.  Sometimes not much moe than a scratched out depression on the side of a cliff.  Buteos (red-tails, red-shouldered) build a nest about half again the size of a basketball.  Accipiters (goshawk, sharpshinned) builds soccer ball sized nests,  usually so high in trees that they are rarely seen.

Bopeye

Quote from: Hawks Feather on July 04, 2007, 10:12:43 AM
Bop,

Are you saying that is some kind of a religious bird?  If so, it is pray.

Jerry

You got me Jerry...... :doh2: :roflmao:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Jerry Hunsley

ohiobob

You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???