• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First hunt turns into bummer

Started by Silencer, September 05, 2007, 10:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

First set up of the year, BUMMER

Got up 3:30amstarted the coffee anticipating what the morning would bring.  Dreams of honkers getting a pattern full of 3" BB's have been spinning around my head for the last 2 weeks. 

Plans were to meet at parking spot by 5:30am, but no partner ????   A quick call to his cell and I get the machine.   Guess its a solo hunt, I drive down to the edge of the field unload all the gear and start setting up the spread.   First thing I notice is the farm equiptment set-up down our side to start working the field.  I thought that shouldnt  be a problem, they dont start working till 8 ish.  Just about finish setting up the spread and Ethan calls from the parking spot wondering where I am, " I'm settin up the dekes, get your hind-end down here".   

All setup and waiting first birds to appear as the sun peeked out were a flock of wood duck.   Not duck season yet, but cool to watch.  As we're shooting the bull, 5 geese coming over the horizon, I start on the call and my heart starts racing.....

See Ya !!!  They all flare left... hmmmmmm,grrrrrrrrrrr   That darn equiptment hasnt been there in months, I know thats what's flaring them. 

More ducks cirlce and a few more geese, I start on the call again and they flare our spread.   I knew it, I had this 6th sence to layout in the middle of the field amongst the decoys but the geese have been landing along the pine row.

30 minutes later, sun up, beautiful morning all hell breaks loose from behind us... here comes the big flock of 100 birds !!!!

I start on the call, they answer back but to our surprise they dont care or notice the spread and land on the opposite side of the field from us.

There's plenty we could have done about it, but I dont and will not pass shoot.  Its more fun "hunting" and decoying them in.

SO, THATS HOW MY GOOSE SEASON BEGINS, LESSONS LEARNED AND NO BIRDS DOWN.

Hopefully this weekend my son and I can setup with our home made layout blinds in mid field amongst the deke spread with the rising sun and wind to our backs.

Sorry no pic's.

DirtyDog

Well that sucks.......but a a day in the woods beats any day at work. It will get better.

awh

Yeap. That would suck. Hope the next trip proves to be one of those that the ol' shoulder hurts from shooting  :biggrin:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Silencer

Next trip should be a little better anyhow, it will just be my son and I, no offense to my buddy but I'd rather be hunting with my kid  lol

FinsnFur

I'm more upset with the lack of pics  :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I'm with Jimbo on this one. It woulda been nice to see 100 geese flying by to the other,,, uuhhmmm,,, :shck: :holdon: SORRY!!!!

:biggrin:

I'm betting the next hunt will be better. :wink: 
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11