• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Scouting for ducks...not so good.

Started by Coulter, September 22, 2007, 10:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

Well, my buddy and me went scouting for ducks on Wednesday. It was real good to finally get my butt into the woods...better yet the beaver swamp. Unfortunately, the swamp we were scouting had not 1, but 6 bald eagles sitting on various snags throughout the small piece of water. We did manage to flush 3 hen mallards,  but I don't think the ducks will be hanging around that area much this season. It sure is nice to see the eagles in there, there was only one mature that we could identify, the rest were immatures from possibly different years judging by the coloration on them.

On a better note, we just went down to choose our blind this morning, We had the 40th choice, but managed to obtain the 7 spot on our own list. Now we have our work cut out for us building a suitable blind. I think a bit of good lumber and a 12 pack should spawn some creativity :biggrin: :biggrin: I'll post pics when we get her all set. We have until the end of October to have it in place, so there is no rush.

Steve

Silencer

The migration really hasnt started, or just hasnt made it this way yet,  so things may be differnt in a month.  I know the ducks we seen today have been here all summer and never headed north.
I still have to check out my favorite swamp and make a few blinds there.   
Them Eagles sure are perty, we've been watching a few around here for years but I still was in shock this morning to see one so close flying up the river.

Good luck on that blind  !!! 

DirtyDog

Man.......I haven't duck hunted in several years. I always hunted at Killbuck Marsh or the Grand River.

cb223

Quote from: DirtyDog on September 22, 2007, 11:22:30 AM
Man.......I haven't duck hunted in several years. I always hunted at Killbuck Marsh or the Grand River.

The Grand River in Michigan?  Where's killborn marsh? I used to hunt ducks where Bass Creek dumps into the Grand.
CHAD

DirtyDog

Grand River in Ohio. It feeds into Lake Erie. Killbuck Marsh is in the center of Ohio. Lots of ducks there.  :wink: