• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Suggestions for a reloading KIT

Started by slagmaker, October 08, 2006, 02:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

OK I have always wanted to reload ever sense I was a little kid and my uncle let me help him. So now with my new job I am finally able to afford a reloading kit. I am looking at a RCBS master reloading kit. It runs about $300. Now for the question.

What brand/type of kit would you suggest and why?
I have not made up my mind yet so give me more info to go on than just, RCBS is what my uncle used and it is a kit I have been able to hold in my hands at Gander mtn. I know RCBS is one of the top brands but I want more to back it up.

PS: I have been reading and reading and reading and have a lot more reading to do before I actually start rolling my own. Heck I am even building a reloading bench before I get the kit.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

stevecriner

RCBS Kit. I love it. Great kit for the money i think.
" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

slagmaker

I know all I will need to get with the RCBS are dies and a set of mics I have the mics. Need them for my work.

5 SHOTS

another vote for rcbs it will last you forever and customer service is excellent :bowingsmilie:
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

fuzz624

I have nothing against RCBS but for the money i would buy Lee.I have been useing Lee for about 8 years now and have had no problems.I have loaded everything from 223 Rem. to 300 Win mag.For around 100.00 you can buy a Lee kit and a set of dies.Whatever you decide welcome to the world of reloading.

slagmaker

Got a web sight for Lee? THat way I cna do a little research. Still leaning towards RCBS

fuzz624

I dont know if they have a web site or not.Ill try to find out and get back to you.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Thanks! Now to do a little reading and studding and see what I like better.
Man this site is da bomb!!

CCP

I haven't used the Lee cast iron press but would like to try it.

I used RCBS,LYMAN and REDDING more leaning toward the Redding I was under the impression that LEE was cheaply made.

During a divorce I was separated from 6 of my moving boxes and 70% of my reloading stuff was in them. I decided I would buy a lee kit till I managed to get my stuff back. I found out there is nothing wrong with the lee products except the press I didn't like it will work for small runs but larger cartridges on long runs it broke alot.

I now use the RCBS press for forming and seating and the lee for depriming. I use alot of different brand dies.

The lee collete dies cant be beat and the Lee plastic powder measure is top notch. I have several powder measures much much more expensive and the 20.00 lee will put them to shame.

If starting out I would go with a lee kit and work from there.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

slagmaker

yeah, I like the RCBS rockchucker press that comes in the kit. It seems very well made and feels smooth as silk when cycled.

OK added question. I will be reloading my 22/250. So whos dies set's do you all prefer. Rmember if I spend the money on it I want it to last

fuzz624

If i were you i would get a set of lee collet dies.Thease dies only resize the neck of the shell.The advantage of this is that the caseing stays fire formed to fit your chamber.On top of that caseings will last alote longer and wont halft to be trimmed as often.I recently purchased a lee delux die set for under 30.00.It comes with collet dies,full length,and seating dies.I like the delux set because with collet dies you can only reload caseings fired out of your rifle,so if you get some used brass from someone you will halft to full length size them first.As for lasting i have never worn out a set of lee dies.I have to agree with CCP about the lee powder measure.That little thing works great.I have a turrent press and have never had any problems with it.All in all i think lee makes verry good equiptment.The onlt thing i have from RCBS is a set of 357 mag. dies and they have worked well for me.

CCP

I agree with fuzz624 the lee  deluxe dies are great! I love mine but I like the Redding seater die.

What caliber are you going to reload for mostly?  I have several caliber die sets Iam not using may can hook you up
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

slagmaker

Right now I am looking to reload 22/250 but next year I am adding a 35rem to my collection and may want to reload for that as well.

ohiobob

Damn and I just got rid of a bunch of RCBS stuff,im sure I could have helped you out to but im about what?6-7 months to late,,I may be getting rid of 2 RCBS pardner presses here soon to get a Lyman T-Mag,I like to have all my dies on 1 plate  and just rotate to whatever die I need, I use to LOVE Hornady dies but I got a set off of my buddy's widow and the bell die had rust up on the side wall,,well If it would have been RCBS I could have completly dis-assembled them and cleaned them up,BUT i did use the Hornady just to see what happened and it was OK,so it is really ONLY a cosmetic issue now BUT if i wear MY RCBS die in that caliber im sure I will be dead by then :roflmao:
Bob

DAMN I love a reloading thread so sorry :doh2:
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

Silvertip

If money's an issue get the Lee Kit, otherwise, I like the RCBS Kit for the long haul. I use a lot of Lee's products, but the RCBS press is a little beefier and the RCBS scales are easier to use than the Lee Scales.
If you don't want to mount your press on a bench, MidwayUSA sells a portable press stand, approx. $60.
Whichever Kit you decide on, get the Lee Deluxe Die Set for 22-250, you'll get a full length resizer die, a neck sizer die, a bullet seating die, and depending on the set a factory crimp die. Neck size your brass most of the time for best accuracy, but you may need to full length resize when your loads get hard to chamber after a few reloads, then neck size again on subsequent reloads. You won't need the Factory Crimp Die for 22-250, I do use it on loads used in lever guns and semi-autos.
If you use the 35 REM in a lever gun, full length resize only and crimp the bullet.
I agree with CCP the Lee Powder Measure works great!
I also use Lee's Case Resizing Lube.
Lee's Reloading Manual will give you a lot of loads and its a good read, has a lot of information not in other manuals.
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee