• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Setting traps when the snow is deep(pictorial)

Started by blakcoyote, February 26, 2008, 06:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakcoyote

Here's one way to trap when snow gets deep,got most of this idea from Mchewk,and tweaked it a little for myself.

First you gotta shovel out a nice area so you have something to work with.

Next you chip out a trap bed,I went to a 10# maul with a sharpened piece of car leaf spring welded to the back end,makes opening up the ground a breeze,well almost.lol

Next I'll put a layer of calcium chloride in the bottom of the bed,then I'll add dry dirt with anti-freeze mixed in.

Next I'll anchor the trap with a cable stake down through the center of the bed,and like in my other posts,hollow out a depression so your chain lays nicely under the trap then bed your trap making sure it's solid and no tipping.Then sprinkle some anti-freeze around the trap.

You'll also notice in the above pic a rebar stake in the ground,this is my lure hole,I make them using rebar to make the holes,you can make one or two or three if you want for different attractants..

Now this is where I veer off,instead of finishing off the set with a pan cover and dry dirt,I make sure the dirt is level with the trap jaws,then I'll cover everything and the surrounding shoveled area with straw chaf or hay chaf,the fine stuff.It stays unfrozen,and being fine less likely to clog trap jaws.I make sure the chaf is level across the trap bed,no high spots over the trap.

You'll also notice snow mounded up as the backing,but what I'll do is cover it up with hay chaff along with covering my lure holes.It makes it look like a hay mound or a partial one anyway.

Well,that's one way to deal with deep snow,whats also nice,once you got these made in the deeper snow,is you'll beable to find them after another big dumping of snow,just look for the big 6'-8' snow crater.

Hope you enjoy.Hopefully catch pics to follow soon.

studabaka

Very nicely done !!  :congrats: :congrats:

Some great tips. Thanks for taking the time to share  :yoyo:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff