• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

White Ground Hogs

Started by canine, July 27, 2008, 08:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canine

Thane, my oldest has been shooting groundhogs for a lady, several years now. Early on this summer he says he keeps seeing a white groundhog, well low and behold he shoots one and brings it home. He said there were 3 of them in a group, so when I seen it was just a "kit" I told him to lay off shooting them till they got bigger and I would video it for him. Well  :confused: he shot another one today without me videoing him  :doh2: O-well.

Anyways here are a couple pictures of them, the small one was frozen, so wasn't able to pose him to well.

These are my two hunting partners. Thane and Zander. With there white ground hogs.

Thanks for looking
JD

alscalls

Never seen that before......you should do the video anyway thad be cool.......grat job guys! :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Bills Custom Calls

Tell the boys  :congrats: :yoyo:

Ya just never know what ya gonna find in Ohio
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

DirtyDog

Those are pretty cool.........better leave the last one to make more.  :eyebrow:

canine

Thanks guy's.

I haven't seen a white one either, till now.

I kinda agree dirtydog about leaving one for seed. :shrug: But the 3 of these all came from all brown parents I reckon. They were the first white ones he'd seen and all 3 were kits.

The first one he shot had blue eyes and this second one had pink eyes  :wo:

I'll try and get better pics of the hogs themselves, maybe someone can help in saying they are true "Albino's".

JD

weedwalker

I've never seen a white one, especially with blue eyes. I'd have to get that one to the taxidermist. :wo:
Maybe you can get that last one on film before his trigger finger gets to itchin again. :biggrin:

bushmaster

Thats pretty neat.  My first thought was that they were guinea pigs! :wink:
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Hawks Feather

I would be taking at least one, but probably both, to the taxidermist.  I have seen a couple of whites that have been mounted and also a cinnamon.  They were nice looking mounts.

Normally, to be called albino, an animal has to have red eyes.  I know from shooting some half grown groundhogs with explosive results, that the back part of a groudhog's eye has a blue color.  I wonder if the one with blue eyes hadn't matured or if the red eyes were on the younger one if it is not a true albino.  Either way, they are a rarity and would be good to have mounted.

Jerry

wv_yoter

Jason

vvarmitr

To be a true albino they have to have pink/ red eyes.  An albino has a total lack of pigment.
The one w/ the blue eyes could be classified as a piebald.
What was the color of the noses?

I've never had the luck to shoot a white g'hog though I've seen 'em.  I do have a piebald g'hog I'm waiting to get back.

FOsteology

Looks like someone's guinea pig escaped and has been porkin' the whistle pigs!  :laf:

Never seen anything like that. I'd consider having it mounted.

vvarmitr

Here's the pix of my piebald g'hog.

Were you see white isn't a lack of hair, but hair w/ a lack of pigment.  This g'hog is actually well furred.

CCP

Thats pretty damn cool. I wish we had ground hogs here. Only a few by the road and aint seen them this year.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Roundman

canine

James,
We have a piebald livin across the road from our house.  Is that the one you have at the taxidermist?

JD

vvarmitr

Quote from: canine on July 28, 2008, 06:12:31 PM
Is that the one you have at the taxidermist?

Yep!  ;yes;  I got Tuck aka Tom Harris doing it.  :biggrin:

I sure would be getting those mounted.  That is really awesome how they all came from the same litter.  :wo:

The only thing rarer than a white g'hog is a black one.  I forget the ratio, but they're 2-3 times more rare than a white one.  :huh: