Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

I have the 4 - 16 x 50 AO Tactical on my .308 pre-64 Model 70 Winchester.  Here are the photos . . . .

I read online on one of the sniper sites about these scopes a few years ago.  They got high reviews for an inexpensive scope.  I ordered one.  It was about $200.00 if I recall correctly.  The first one I had fogged up.  I sent it in and they replaced it with a new one.  The new one has worked quite well for me.  This is my deer rifle and my ground hog rifle.  I shot the square with this scope and it performed perfectly.  It has a mil dot reticle.  The lit reticle has 11 settings and the lightest ones are not so bright they blind you like on my NCStar scope.  So the lit reticle is very usefull in low light situations.  The scope is very clear even at highers powers.  Eye relief is very critical at the higher power.  I sometimes find it difficult to get my eye centered just right.  But the only time I set it on 16 power is when I am ground hog hunting.  Not a problem there as I'm usually shooting over 200 yards so I'm usually in no hurry and have time to get the correct eye relief.  I feel this scope was worth the money I spent on it.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Quote from: Frogman on November 02, 2008, 10:45:15 AM
I have the 4 - 16 x 50 AO Tactical on my .308 pre-64 Model 70 Winchester. 

This is my ........... ground hog rifle. 

Ground hogs??  I bet ya don't get many runners.   :laf:

Nice review, frogman. 

Frogman

Hey Semp,
      In my younger days this rifle belonged to my Dad and was origionally a .243 Featherweight model.  When I started using it for groundhogs I got into the faster and flatter reloads with the light bullets and ver high mv.  About ten years ago I started having trouble getting good groups with it.  You could group 2 or three shots in about an inch the fourth and fifth shots could be anywhere out to two inches away.  I thought my eyes had gone bad, or my trigger finger had developed a stutter or something.  I just didn't remember it being this hard to shoot tight groups.  I took the rifle to a gunsmith friend who wrung it out for me and gave me back my dies with the bullet seating die set where it shot the best with the powder and loads that seemed to work the best.  He told that the first two to three inches of the bore was burned out.  I still couldn't get groups that satisfied me.  After a couple more years went by another gunsmith friend offered to rebarrel it for me.  I decided I had had enough of the fast speedy hot loads and asked him if he could rebarrel in .308?  I figured that it would be better for whitetails and I could learn to lob the rounds in on the ground hogs.  The smith pillar bedded the action, floated the barrel and trued the action to the barrel a Shilen No. 4   1 - 12 twist stainless.  This work was not free.  I could have bought a new Savage for the about the same amount.  But now I had a nice custom rifle on my Dad's old action and it really shot great.  I asked about refinishing the stock and was quoted quite a bit so I decided to do it myself.  Now it is a realy beautiful rifle that shoots very good groups and with my lazer range finder I can still reach out there and touch the groundhogs.  I just have to watch my ballistics and arch them in there!  After spending all this money I just didn't have enough for a better scope.  Maybe eventually.  But the Mueller seems to be working out OK!

Here is another photo of the nice wood I found when I refinished the stock . . . .

This was before I got into coyotes.  Now I kind of wish I had left it in .243!?!?  Yes it does anchor them pretty well.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hawks Feather

Nice looking rifle and since it originally belonged to your Dad it will always be special.

Jerry

riverboss

I have a 4.5x14 ao scope and its very nice i had never heard of them before i got on rimfire central i use to be a big bushnell fan but after having some problems with some of the newer ones i decided to give Mueller a try and im very happy i did.

Dale

I almost feel stupid for replying on a post this old, but I have 2 of the 4X16 lit reticule that I use for night hunting under the lights... one is on my 22KHornet, which is my primary night gun the other is on my BushMaster Varminter... I've been using them for the past 12+ years and have no qualms about that decision...

there is a dot in the center of the crosshairs that lights up, and that detracts from the daytime target shooting...   that dot  compromises the ability for a bench rest precision hold on paper, but for ¼" of  groundhog precision it's just fine...

this is photo of a young fellow I was mentoring before I left PA... that's my T/C Encore, 22KHornet with a Mueller 4X16 illuminated reticule, on the tripod I use for night hunting, groundhogs and sometimes deer hunting...  this was also Andy's first groundhog/kill of any sort... ole whistle pig was laying on the rim of his hole, I set up the tripod, put the rifle on it, lined it up that all he had to do is tickle the trigger for a good center mass body shot... I stepped back and let him do it, and I saw the little chit moving the gun... I was wondering what he was doing, at the shot the hog dropped... ok so he opened the action and started walking out to the mound... I joined him on the walk out and asked him what he was doing moving the rifle around, he just smiled... when we got out there, the groundhog was where it was shot, clean through the head... what could I say, he'd seen me head shoot everything I pulled the trigger on so I guess he wanted to be like me...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

FinsnFur

Dont feel stupid. These review threads dont have a shelf life.
Nice write up on it and I appreciate ya posting it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com