• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

SCOPE MALFUNCTION!!!!!!

Started by bushmaster, August 02, 2009, 09:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvertip

Quote from: Hawks Feather on September 20, 2009, 08:33:51 PM
Quote from: Silvertip on September 20, 2009, 08:13:05 PM
I have a rifle rest that lets me strap down the rifle after I level it with a bubble level.

How do you make sure that your rifle is level in the rest?

Jerry

I use a machinists level, the rifle only needs to be level a right angles to the bore and line of sight, IE, parallel to the horizontal cross hair. The machinists level can be used on the sight base, action rails, or any horizontal flat surface on the action; this may not be a perfect  alignment with the bore but is usually close enough.
aka: Grizz - East Tennessee

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Silvertip on September 22, 2009, 04:10:56 AM
Quote from: Hawks Feather on September 20, 2009, 08:33:51 PM
Quote from: Silvertip on September 20, 2009, 08:13:05 PM
I have a rifle rest that lets me strap down the rifle after I level it with a bubble level.

How do you make sure that your rifle is level in the rest?

Jerry

I use a machinists level, the rifle only needs to be level a right angles to the bore and line of sight, IE, parallel to the horizontal cross hair. The machinists level can be used on the sight base, action rails, or any horizontal flat surface on the action; this may not be a perfect  alignment with the bore but is usually close enough.

That would work very well.  The reason for my question was to clear up anyone's thought that you could level the holder, lay a gun in (without the checks that you just listed), and get scope crosshairs that were straight.

Thanks,

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

Bushy, Have you received the new scope from Millett , If so what do you think of it. CC

bushmaster

SCOPE RECEIVED!!! RINGS LAPPED & ALIGNED!!! SCOPE LEVELED!!! BALLISTIC DATA CHART MADE!!! RIFLE ZEROED!!!

That scope is FLIPPIN' AWESOME :yahoo: 
Man i cant even begin to tell you how happy I am with it.  Same old zero group @100yds but the fine hairs accompanied by the MIL's are outstanding.  The locking turrets are new to me and i certainly like them.  It's very easy to compensate with the turrets.  But when your in a hunting scenario and time is fleeting, don't worry.  The MIL dot's have it under control.  It's just a matter of remembering that 1mil=3.6in@100yds and so on and so forth.  The dots are very small, which i like. @100yds the bullets holes were FAR bigger than the dots. 
    The side focus is an excellent concept that did not require me to adjust my shooting position.  With the traditional rotating objective, you would have to reach forward and contort yourself in order to focus the sight picture.  I however, simply lifted my wrist and focused my picture.  Then lowered and tucked my hand back into the butt.  (I'm shooting prone) and most important, it has survived being paired with the .338 Win. Mag. (Thus Far)
Five Stars Hands Down :biggrin:

I will post pictures of the rig tomorrow since my grandparents are in town and the whole family is sleeping. I dont want to upset anyone by rummaging around for the camera.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

slagmaker

Quote from: bushmaster on October 06, 2009, 12:28:43 AM
SCOPE RECEIVED!!! RINGS LAPPED & ALIGNED!!! SCOPE LEVELED!!! BALLISTIC DATA CHART MADE!!! RIFLE ZEROED!!!

I will post pictures of the rig tomorrow since my grandparents are in town and the whole family is sleeping. I dont want to upset anyone by rummaging around for the camera.

If you rummage around for your camera with the rifle in hand I bet no one will say a thing
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bushmaster

Bills Custom Calls

I see you got the pic thing figured out Bushy  :yoyo:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

bushmaster

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

slagmaker

Nice looking shooting iron.  :yoyo: :highclap:

You say you had the rings aligned and lapped. Just curious. Did you do it yourself or let your smithy handle the scope mounting?
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bushmaster

Ol smithy took care of it.  I didn't want to take any chances.

Carolina Coyote

Good deal Bushy, Glad to hear that you like the Millett, I have one on my 243 wssm and wish I had the side adjust may have to order one like yours. cc

bushmaster

Well, the F!*#ING scope slid forward a 1/2 in. in the rings.  Oh! and did i mention that the rear base just popped right off!!!!  This is the 3rd set of leupold rings and bases on this gun and I"M DONEEE!!!!!  I have ordered a picatinny long action rail and badger ordnance MAX-50 rings. If this don't work, i'm selling an A-bolt .338 Win Mag