• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

The FnF Spring 2010 Biggest Wild Turkey Contest

Started by coyotehunter_1, March 10, 2010, 09:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linemansteve

WOW, Jim thats mighty nice of you and chet Thats way more than I was hoping for. I was hoping maybe to win one of Coulters turkey calls but this is way over the top Thanks Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

HaMeR

Nice bird Steve!! Congratulations!! I'll be back out this weekend.  :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Coulter

Finally...A turkey. I thought you southern boys had earlier seasons than us Yanks :confused:

Anyway, way to go Steve! Nice bird too.

Steve

weedwalker

Way To Go Steve !!! Very nice bird. :yoyo: Congrats. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

I had to miss the first three days of turkey season and things just seem to get worse.  I got to hunt three days last week with no results.   I heard nothing the first day; the second day I heard a couple of gobbles across the creek from my place ( I can’t hunt there) then nothing.  Last Friday I finally got one to answer but again he was on the other side of the creek and wasn’t coming my way.  I heard some hens and figured he wasn’t leaving them for little ‘ol me.  I managed to call up a couple of jakes to about 15 yards and almost took my frustration out on the lead jake.  But then I decided not to drop the hammer and let him walk.

This week I hunted Monday and heard nothing again.  Turkey season sort of sucks if you don’t hear turkeys.   :eyebrownod:  This morning was a whole 'nother story.

I heard some gobbling across the creek early and figured this was going to be a repeat of last Friday.  Then, way off, I heard a faint gobble.  I headed in his direction to see if he was on my ground.  After hustling 500-600 yards, I finally figured out he was on MY side of the dayumed creek and still gobbling his head off!   :yahoo:  That means NO hens! (at least I hoped that’s what it meant).   :laf:

The woods look like a jungle from the ice storm last year with low visibility so I was able to slip within about 70 yards of him.  I couldn’t see him but I knew where he was.  I got set up and started calling.  He gobbled back.  I hit him with a cackle and he tripled gobbled a thundering answer!  I got him now, I thought.  Then I remembered a basic turkey hunting rule. “You ain’t got the gobbler until your foot is on his neck.”   ;yes;

I sat motionless, eyes searching for movement, and then I caught a glimpse of his fan.  He was strutting just over the rise from where I set up.  I could only see bits and pieces of him through the limbs, leaves and brush as he strutted to attract the sweet heart he thought was me.  He wasn’t coming!  :argh:   He was hung up.  Now what I thought.  My heart was pounding and the adrenaline was racing.  Calm down I thought. This may be my only chance this season. Don’t blow it! 

I softly yelped and saw his fan drop.  Up popped his head and he slowly peaked around a tree to look for me.  It was now or never.  I could just barely see his head and neck.  I put the green dot of my scope on his neck and squeezed the trigger.  I only felt a gentle push as the 3 ½ inch Remington HD 4’s did their job.  He went down and I jumped up and raced to him to make sure he stayed down. It was a 45 yard shot.

This was one of the most exciting turkey hunts I’ve had in a long time.  Thanks for following along with me. 

Semp

Beard:  9 inch

Spur:  1 1/16

Spur:  1 1/8

Total:  11 3/16

Weight: 19 pounds

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

weedwalker

Way To Go Semp!!! :congrats: :congrats: Nice bird and great story. :yoyo:

JohnP

Good looking bird.  Glad that you finaly made it out.  Green dot - did you use the Vortex?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

pitw

Way to go Semp.  I knew I would read the word thundering if you were to connect and no disappointment there :biggrin:.  Excellent write up and fab pics to boot :yoyo:.  Glad you put meat in the pot.
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

By golly you get er done Semp!! Conmgratulations my Friend!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

Great write up and photos.  Made me feel like I was right there with you!  WTG, Semp!  Good shooting!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Quote from: JohnP on April 28, 2010, 01:37:12 PM
Green dot - did you use the Vortex?

Yep, I mounted the Strike Fire on my Benelli.  I like the green dot instead of the red dot for the woods.  I had to put a cheek pad on the stock to due to the height of the mount.  I ought to find a gun smith and drill and tap the receiver. 

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

linemansteve

Way to go Semp !! :highclap: :highclap: nice looking bird. It's a real rush isn't it. :highclap: Steve
No signature required,my hand shake or my word is good enough.
Saw a women texting while driving and it really pissed me OFF, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her.

Coulter

Now we're talking...great write up Semp and good lookin bird ya got there too. Congratulations!

Our season opens Saturday...but, but, but I will be heading back to Havre De Grace, MD for another decoy show. I haven't missed opening day in a long time, but we're talking ducks man...oh and crab omelettes :eyebrow:

Okay, who's next? :corn: :corn: :corn:

Steve

iahntr

Congratulations Steve !
Congratulations Semp !
Super job men. Congrats !  :congrats:
Scott

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names