• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Flyin & diein in Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by HaMeR, October 30, 2010, 09:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaMeR

Did a little crow hunting today.  :biggrin:

I went down by the river here a few minutes from the house this AM & got set up & ready to go by 7:30. The crows weren't there right away so I waited them out til about 8 when I had one loner answer my hand caling. As it flew by I loosened a few tail feathers on it & watched it fly off. Darn it anyhow. Then I waited til almost 8:45 & that is when things started to pick up. I had them come in 2 & 3 at a time with the occasional flock of 25 or 30. For the most part tho it was just a couple at a time which is much easier to handle. I ended up with 20 GOOD crows for my efforts this AM. Hope you enjoy!! I also left at least 2 out there busted up purdy good. One made it across the river with only it's left wing a flappin & the right wing hanging along with it's feet. It landed in the trees some 125yds away & I watched it for a few minutes til I got to shoot again. When I looked back it was gone. The same thing happened with another one earlier. I watched it land about 200yds away in a tall tree. I watched & waited til I got some more shots again & when I looked back over it too was gone. Oh well.

I also had a "1st" time experience this AM. I was bringing a GOOD crow back to the deke spread when I had 3 come over the trees directly in front of me. 2 flared & one kept coming low. Barely 50' off the deck. I kept walking too & when it was about 30yds out I threw the dead crow in the air & he committed to a face full of 7 1/2 shot.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Hope you enjoyed my little tale of Crowdoom on the Halloween weekend fellas!!  :biggrin:

:hahaha: View from my blind.

Decoy spread from the blind.  :innocentwhistle:

View inside the blind after a volley which left 4 crows dead. There's actually 7 shells laying there.

This one landed in the river. They don't count if they aren't in the Hero shot.  :eyebrow:

These brave souls were a mere 60yds from my setup as I brought the truck back to leave.

Jimbo's obligatory "CROW CARNAGE" pic!!  :yoyo:

This little 6 point stopped by for a quick looksee then moved on.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Except for a murder of crows that I saw in New York, that is the most I have seen in one place for a long time.  Defiance isn't in the crow flyway.   :sad:   I would appreciate it if you would send that little buck over here.

Jerry

edit:  I think I have seen that first picture somewhere.

pitw

I can`t get over that you guys actually do that.  I`m gonna give it a try someday.  Good shooting but seven :confused:. :confused:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

MAJOR  crow carnage :yoyo:

That first picture does look uncannily familiar... :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

golfertrout

HuntnCarve

Looks like you had a great time Glen!  Way to go!  Been a few years since I set up exclusively for crows.  Saw the decoy bag in the shed the other day.  Got me thinking about it again.

Dave

Bopeye

You DA MAN Hamer!!! One quick question. Why didn't we get any pictures of you standing over your carnage, doo rag on, shades and puffed up chest?  :innocentwhistle:
First picture is familiar, just can't place it for sure.  :confused: :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

HaMeR

Jerry-- You want that buck whole or in pieces??  :laf: :laf:  I would think you still have crows don't you? This hunt is actually one of the better ones we've had. It's not often we have this many birds to work in one place.

Barry-- It is a blast!! If you like wing shooting that is. Next spring when they come back up to nest give it a whirl. The other 2 hulls are in front of the bucket with my glove. I had to chuck it cause it kept getting caught when I slid shells up thru the floor plate.  :laf:

Jim-- I KNEW you would like that carnage pic!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:  That one should make you a nice screen saver.  :alscalls: :alscalls:

Dave-- Sure did!! Can't wait til next time already!! I'll let this spot rest for a month. Hopefully another Farmer gets another good spot opened for me this week.  :eyebrow:

Dave (HnC)-- Thanks!! Get the stink blown off those dekes & have at it!! I can't wait to see your results.  :biggrin:

Bopeye--  :nono: I aint DA MAN!! I'm an Ohioan buddy!! A damn Yankee don't ya know.  :alscalls: :alscalls: Now you want me to be your Brother??  :doh2:  :alscalls: :alscalls:

I had a blast & Thanks for the nice words. But I'm not sure what is soooo special about that 1st pic tho.  :shrug: Maybe Semp will drive by this one & help me out some.  :corn:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyotehunter_1

Glen

Great job of HaMerR-ing that mob!!! :congrats: :highclap: :yoyo: :biggrin:

Yellow shot shells... You shooting a 20?  
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on October 31, 2010, 11:41:54 AM
Yellow shot shells... You shooting a 20?  

While yellow is the markings on most 20 ga shells I think Glen is shooting a 10 ga.  He just paints the shell cases yellow so that people don't really know that he likes BIG guns.     :biggrin:

Jerry

KySongDog

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 30, 2010, 11:30:15 PM

That first picture does look uncannily familiar... :alscalls:

:alscalls:   Just whut I wuz thinkin'.   :alscalls:

HaMeR

Thanks Chet!! Yep it's a 20. I woulda liked to have a had a 12 once the winds started ripping tho.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

Jerry--  :nono: :nono: You can keep your 10ga over there. I don't need it to kill a crow.  :laf: :laf:

Semp-- I don't know how that got in there. I was using a 20ga sling shot that AM.  :shrug: :shrug:   :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

(inside joke)

Well I have a slingshot too.  I don't use it  all that much anymore because I kept tearing up the meat to much and wasn't able to give any to my friends.  I have seen those fancy model slingshots, but I made mine myself and everybody who sees it wants it - just like the women are to me - see me and want me.  Anyway, I had taken the slingshot up to Alaska a couple of years ago.  I don't have much money for flights and such but it didn't cost me a dime.  I would love to tell you how I got there, but as the saying goes, "If I told you, I would have to "remove" you."  Anyway, I was there looking for some small game, like deer and also shot a few salmon.  Them salmon are hard for most people to hit when they are jumping out of the water and all, but not for me.  I gave new meaning to the word "sockeye".  After a couple of shore dinners of salmon, I saw someone coming down the river bank.  Turns out that it was Sarah Palin and she was just out looking for a good place to catch some salmon.  I showed her where the big ones were and she had a lot of fun catching them.  She told me that she never would have thought to look where I showed her the salmon were and said that she had walked pasted that spot many times while fishing.  I told her that it would be our secret.  I cooked up a batch of salmon for her and she said that shore cooked salmon had never tasted that good before.  We had a good conversation and after the dinner she went on down the river fishing.  Anyway back to my slingshot.  I was just finishing up my stalk on a deer when I heard a sound on the other side of the deer.  Both the deer and I looked and there was a moose.  Real nice bull.  The deer froze and I thought I might as well take the moose, but the deer was right in the middle.  I had stalked to about 30 yards from the deer (didn't want to take a long shot with the slingshot) and thought that if I would just line them up I could get a double.  I finally thought that I had it all lined up and was just about ready to fire when the moose moved.  It took me a couple more minutes before I could let one fly and it was like a ton of bricks hitting them - both down and not even a shake, rattle, or role from either of them.  I started gutting and getting them ready to haul out and that was a major job.  Having killed hundreds and hundreds of deer I had it gutted real quick, but I haven't done that many moose and wanted to keep the hair clean so that I could have a full body mount done when I returned.  It takes a long time to get all the meat and bones out of a moose when you are doing the surgery through the Butt Out tool location.  Anyway, I was just about finished when I heard a snort.  Now with my hearing not being what it was years ago I was only able to tell that the snort was between 400 and 500 yards.  I didn't worry till I heard a couple more snorts and realized that Griz were coming in to help themselves to my kill.  I started sniffing and the best that I could tell there were 5 of them.  Three BIG males, one good sized female, and a year old cub.  I wasn't too worried about the males, but I really didn't want to hurt the sow or the cub so I had to come up with a plan pretty quick.  I could tell that the three males had worked as a team before due to the way they were circling so that each could get a good smell of the area.  All this time, they were out of site, but I knew where they were.  The sow came in first and like I said, I didn't want to hurt her or the cub.  I knew that if she took off the cub would follow so I "hatched" a quick plan.  There was a nest there on the ground, from an Alaskan turkey (I will keep that story for another day), that had no doubt been killed and left the nest.  I quickly picked up a egg, could tell that it was rotten by the small discoloration on several of the spots on the shell, and tossed it to the sow.  She caught it in the air thinking it was some of the moose or deer and you should have seen the look on her face when she realized what it was and what had just happened.  She never went back on all fours, just stood there on her hind legs, and roared.  I quickly put a couple more of the rotten turkey eggs into her belly area and off she went with the cub chasing along.  One of the males was close enough to see what I had just done and knew that it would be all over for him if he stayed - to say beat feet would be an understatement.  So now there were just two males left and I decided to take the bigger one first since it was coming on a full charge.  I pulled up the slingshot and WHAM, right between the eyes and it rolled like a ball going down a hill.  Came to a stop right at my feet and looked like a bear skin rug with lots of lumps.  The other one saw all of this as it was also on a charge but was a little further behind the first.  I reached for a little reload to the slingshot and realized that I had put my "reloads" in the bag when I started cleaning the deer and moose.  I realized that if I showed any fear the Griz would know it and so I just pulled back the slingshot (without anything in it) and aimed it right at the eye of the second charging male.  When he was about 10 yards away I let it go and down went the second male.  I am sure that it had a heart attack when it realized that I had released my grip on the slingshot.  It slid right into the first male that was laying at my feet.  My only thought was that I now had two more LARGE animals to clean.  It was about that time that I started to hear a rustle on the other side of the mountain.  I knew right away that it was Indians and was relieved.  I went to the top of the mountain and called them (in their native language of course) and told them that I knew they were of the Bear Clan and that I had a special gift for them.  They were VERY pleased when I gave them the two bears and also said that they could have the meat and hide deer and all but one quarter of the moose.  They thanked me and said that it these gifts would help feed the clan during the harsh winter.  I did go with them to their camp, but that too is another story.  It is always a good day when you can help people and also have fresh moose for supper.  I never did get the moose skin mounted and that too is another story.

So Glen, I hope that you now realize that I too am pretty good with a sling shot.    :alscalls:

Jerry    aka, post by    .

HaMeR

:confused:  Inside joke eh??  :shrug:

:hahaha: @ the .

What no pics of your setup??  :nono: :nono:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

Great HaMeR!  :biggrin:

I went out Friday ......... but like Jerry said  "that's another story"  :iroll:

HaMeR

I'm gonna head over to the public land at Cadiz VV. If I can find the crows that were there last Monday I'll let you know. If we leave my house Sat AM at 6:30 sharp we might get to bust a few Harrison Co crows. What say ye??  :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

:nono: :nono: You guys are posting this stuff in the morning hours, which means too early for you to be drunk...so I'm confused  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

:laf: :laf:  We've been starting later than usual due to the heavy frosts we've been having. We're tarping the roofs overnight but that doesn't mean the ladder feet are always on a surface with good grip.  :nono:  I'll be starting at 9AM again tomorrow.  :laf:

:confused: What actually classifies a fella for "too early for you to be drunk....."  :shrug:

:laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Silencer

They migrators Glen ?      way to smoke em man !!     

HaMeR

I think they were. There were a lot of younger ones for sure. And 20 real dumb ones.  :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11