• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Puttin the turkeys to bed

Started by coyote101, December 07, 2011, 09:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Semp and I are going turkey hunting tomorrow so I thought I would go out this afternoon and do a little scouting. I hoped to see the flock and watch them go to roost so we would know where to start in the morning. I didn't plan on shooting one, but I took the Mossberg just in case.

I spotted them in a big field and was able to circle through the woods and get near the edge of the woods closest to the field. Sure enough, they worked their way toward me, and eventually several of them got within twenty-five yards or so. I couldn't pass up an opportunity, so I shot a young hen as she crossed a small opening.

The rest of the flock got pretty excited by the gunshot, but they eventually settled down.  I didn't want to move and scare them off so I stayed still and waited for the sun to set. While I was waiting, I was able to get my camera out and get some pretty cool footage of them flying up to roost.

After they flew up, I quietly left the woods, picked up the little hen and headed for the house. I have a pretty good idea of where Semp and I will start in the morning.

Here is a short video of some of the birds flying up for the evening:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Holy cow! You definitely found the mother load. I was waiting for that tree to fold over and snap in half. :laf:
Good luck tomorrow gentlemen
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Yep, that looks like the place to be in the morning.  How many turkeys can you shoot? 

Jerry

KySongDog

Dayum, Pat!  I ain't got that much ammo.   :laf:

Jerry,   KY allows two fall turkeys with a gun.  Only one per day and NO shooting them on the roost.   :eyebrownod:

HaMeR

COOL!! Looks like you may have your choice of birds this AM guys!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Semp,

Looks the same as Ohio.  Do you need two licenses if you plan to take two birds?  Ohio does, but at a price of $24 per tag.  For $48 I can get quite a few turkeys at the grocery.  Not the same as hunting them, but I am trying to limit my expenses at this time of the year so I will just get a nice big Butterball at the store for Christmas.

Jerry