• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

The FnF 2013 Spring Turkey Contest/s

Started by FinsnFur, March 24, 2013, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

The FnF Spring 2013 Wild Turkey Contests

Please read the contest rules carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may void your entry. The FnF administrator and staff retain the right to reject any and all entries determined inappropriate. All participants must be of Reg Member status or above. That means at least 25 (or more) posts under your belt to be eligible to enter or to vote.

The 2013 contests will run from post time today through 12:00 midnight eastern time, June 1, 2013. All photos must be taken between these dates.

All submitted entries for both contests must have something in the picture that says Fins and Fur and the date taken. Write it on your shirt, your forehead, write it in the dirt, on a piece of paper... it doesn't matter but it must be in the picture.
We’re going to have two categories again, one for the biggest turkey and another for the best photographed “hero shot”. A short story of your hunt would also be nice.

Prizes:
One 1st place winner will be selected for each category.

Each first place winner will receive... $100.00 U.S. Dollars.

Sorry but one entry cannot win both the Biggest Turkey and Best Turkey Photo categories.

Those wanting to enter may post their photo’s in this topic.

THE FnF 2013 BIGGEST TURKEY CONTEST
This contest will be judged by total beard length and spur length (if you shoot a tiny turkey with a 40" beard... most likely you’re going to win).
To enter the FnF 2013 Biggest Wild Turkey Contest you will need to post a clear photograph of the beard(s) and spurs of your wild turkey. If your bird has more than one beard, both beards can be included. The actual measurements must be easily distinguishable in the picture(s), showing the entire beard and spurs with a ruler or tape measure included. Then simply add the total measurements of each spur and the beard(s) together. Please include the total measurement in your post. Doing so makes it much easier for everyone to keep up with the entries. The biggest Turkey contest will be self decisive by the measurements.

The FnF 2013 Turkey Photo Contest
This part of the contest will be judged by our members, in the form of a poll/vote. We’re going to be looking for some serious awe factor here so post your ultimate hero shot, be creative. As backdrops for your bird you can use sunsets, natural settings, old buildings, etc. We’re talking desktop wall paper, folks.
After the contest deadline the biggest turkey winner will be determined and the remaining entries will be considered best photo contest entries, which will then be voted on by our members. We will allow seven (7) days for the poll/vote to run so every member (Reg status or above) gets a chance to vote. The winner will then be announced here.
Have fun and good hunting from the FnF staff.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

markTNhunter

got this one this morning around 9:30
25pounds 13ounces  10inch beard both spurrs were 1inch

[/URL]img][/URL]img]
[/URL]img][/URL]img]

KySongDog

It was a great morning to be in the woods.  Clear, cool and very little wind.  After two hours of hearing nothing I finally heard this guy way down the holler.  It was a faint gobble so I knew he was pretty far from me. It was way too thick to move toward him so I set up on top of the ridge and started talking to him.  He answered immediately (which is always a good sign). 

I waited a little while and threw a few cuts at him and he answered again only this time he was closer.  (Another really good sign).  I waited a short while and then yelped and purred a little and he answered again and was even closer. (A really, really good sign).  I then went silent.  About 20-25 minutes later he stepped out of the thick stuff 30 yards away (This is absolutely the very bestest sign!) I hammered him with 3 ½ inch #4’s and shredded his head. 

He had a 10 5/8 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs (12 1/8 inches total) and weighed 21 ½ pounds.   

markTNhunter

Nice one Semp I knew you KY boys would start posting them big Toms as soon as your season open.

JohnP

Nice looking bird Semp.  Not being a turkey hunter how would you judge his age, length of beard, length of spurs?  You still using that Vortex Red Dot?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

Mark, you got a nice one yourself.  25 pounds is way above average.  Congrats!

JohnP,  I'd guess he was 2 or maybe 3 years old.  The really old birds have long spurs ( 1 1/2 inch or better) that turn up and are very sharp.  They call those birds "limb hangers".   The beard on my bird is about average or a little better for its age.  The old toms can have beards 12 inches or more.  The record is about 18 inches I think. 

I switched from the Vortec and went to a Bushnell TRS-25 for my shotgun.  It is smaller and lighter than the Vortec. 

FinsnFur

Very nice Mark, What a hog! :highclap: I would had to go back home and get my new wheelbarrow :eyebrow:

Semp, it seems that all "the signs" pointed in the right direction down there. :laf: Nice bird, Head Shredder!

Congrats to both of ya's and thanks for posting em up. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nailbender

That's the  way to rock and roll 'em guys'! :yoyo:

gravesco hunter

Here is another ky bird

gravesco hunter

Just to add 24lbs ,11.5in beard,1in spurs

FinsnFur

Nice bird Gravesco :yoyo:
I fixed your post there, hope you dont mind.

Next time you you post a link to a picture like that, to get the image to show, just highlight the whole link, and then click the little first icon in the second row up there. It looks like a little picture. That will code your link automatically to show the image for you.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

gravesco hunter

Thanks Jim ,baby steps for the old man

riverboss

I killed this bird at 6pm on 4-17-2013 it weighted 25.5 lbs and had 2 beards. One was 11and a half in and the other was 8in. With 1 1/4 spurs.

riverboss

gravesco hunter

riverboss

Congrats to all you other hunters :highclap: Weve got some nice looking birds so far.

FinsnFur

Two beards. That reminds me of my ex mother in law.

And nice harvest Dan!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

iahntr

Dang! I just looked up to see if there was a picture contest too, or if it was just biggest bird.
Might be my only chance the way this is lookin !  :laf:  Nice birds guys ! Congrats
Scott

FinsnFur

A picture of YOU? Scott?  :nono: Dont count on it :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers