• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Help Bill get his first turkey

Started by Bills Custom Calls, March 31, 2008, 04:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RShaw

Some excellent advice has already been given. In my opinion, it is very important that a person be able to hear a gobbler when he drums. It is hard to explain, but it is a low frequency sound that they give on the roost and on the ground. Usually just after they strut. On a good morning, you can hear this at 75 yards or maybe a little more. When a gobbler is not gobbling, this is the sound he is giving. I call it a short range gobble. Most of the time, the gobbler is in sight of hens and he uses drumming to attract them and others. If you can hear this and it is an acquired sound so to speak, you will be able to locate more gobblers and also prepare for a shot on an incoming gobbler.

Gobblers are a front heavy bird. Because of this, it is easier for them to walk uphill versus downhill.

Hope this made sense. LOL

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

alscalls

A rule of thumb I use is to  call then wait until he gobbles twice then call again. I never call to him after each gobble.
However sometimes they are not vocal at all times like this I call very little and softly.
I use a box call when they are far out from me and a mouth call to call em in when I can.
http://www.geocities.com/alscalls/coyote.html
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cb223

As long as you know they are in the area, don't over call them and

PATIENCE

PATIENCE

PATIENCE

That is some of the best advice ever given to me when I was trying to figure it out. It is so easy to over call, cause it is fun to hear them gobble. RESIST THE TEMPTATION! Call sparingly and let them come to you.
CHAD

alscalls

AL

possumal

Bill: You haven't lived fully until you hear one of those big rascals spitting and drumming right behind you. It sounds like he is breathing right down your neck, kind of makes your hair stand on edge.  Another eye opener is when you are concentrating on one you see at the other end of a hay field or hollow, and you are yelping, cutting, and all that good female talk, trying to get him to come to you, and a big one slips in behind you and hits one of those thunder gobbles right behind you.  If you can sit motionless when that happens, with your scivvies still clean, you have ice water for blood. He might be 30 yds behind, but you could swear he could peck you in the back of the head. Hell, if I keep this advice to you up, I'm liable to talk myself into going again this year.  :madd:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HaMeR

possumal said it best right there^^^^!!  :wink:

I had one double gobble to one quick tap on a slate call & he was MAYBE 20 FEET from me & I couldn't see him!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

Hey you guys are doing great looks like a lot of good info in here

Damn now if I could only read  :roflmao:

Really guys Thanks for all the input
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Jimmie in Ky

If he is roosting with his harem nearby an you bust them off the roost, find a spot near by and set up. Wiat for about thirty minutes and give the lone hen yelps. He will come back looking for his ladies. Jimmie

Coulter

Looks like you have a wealth of knowledeg here Bill...now you need to get out there and apply it. The best teacher is experience, heck you might even learn something about the birds we haven't shared with ya yet. You season runs about the same as ours in PA. I think ours closes a week later though. I'll have to see if I can fill some tags and sneak down there before your season ends. I'm always up for exploring new areas. Good luck

Steve

nailbender

Quote from: possumal on April 01, 2008, 09:19:46 PM
Bill: You haven't lived fully until you hear one of those big rascals spitting and drumming right behind you. It sounds like he is breathing right down your neck, kind of makes your hair stand on edge.  Another eye opener is when you are concentrating on one you see at the other end of a hay field or hollow, and you are yelping, cutting, and all that good female talk, trying to get him to come to you, and a big one slips in behind you and hits one of those thunder gobbles right behind you.  If you can sit motionless when that happens, with your scivvies still clean, you have ice water for blood. He might be 30 yds behind, but you could swear he could peck you in the back of the head. Hell, if I keep this advice to you up, I'm liable to talk myself into going again this year.  :madd:
I had two of them get behind me last year and had to sit through that. My buddy and his son were back there, so I figured he would take a shot. They crossed the fence and creek to get there.  They're not supposed to do that!   Needless to say I'm hooked!!                                         And yes, my drawers stayed clean! :laf:

KySongDog

Patience and sitting motionless are definitely two keys to a successful hunt. 

At the LBL a few years ago I was sitting by a huge tree (you couldn't see my shoulders on the other side) for at least two hours occasionally doing a few yelps and had a big tom walk up behind me. He never gobbled or made a sound. He walked to the left of the tree and was so close I could of reached out and slapped him!  When I saw him, he saw me and we both about crapped! He turned and ran back the way he came in a straight line. A big mistake!  I rolled to the left and proved to him that he couldn't out run my 12 ga.   :biggrin:

Gawd I luv turkey hunting!

Semp

BigB

Quote from: iahntr on March 31, 2008, 09:13:10 PM
The other one was don't think your hunt is blown if ya mess up and do a little "crappy" callin.

I agree with this 100%.  On my very first turkey outing, my father called me over to the farm that he was drilling alfalfa on.  He said that about 30 minutes before, there was a tom turkey that crossed the field and it went to the other side of the farm.  So I grabbed my gear and headed that way.  I got set up, and pulled out a call.  Called for a while and nothing.  So I tried another call.  Nothing.  Yet another call.  Nothing.  After a while, all of my calls were laying there in front of me and I was a bit depressed since there just was a tom that went in that direction.  So, I decided to play with the calls, and to try to see what bad sounds that I could produce with the calls.  This was to see what I shouldn't do when I actually had a tom working.  I would make all sort of gawd awful sounds from all of my calls.  And then out of the blue, GOOBBBBBLLLLLE,  GOBBBBLLLLE.  I wasn't even making turkey sounds, but I had one coming in!!!  So, I started calling turkey again, and pulled the tom to about 70 yards from me, but on the other side of the creek. :doh2:  He stayed there for about 10 minutes, and then finally left.  So I went down the creek and set up on the other side, and called him right back to me.  It felt great to get my first one.  10 inch beard and 7/8" spurs.  Probably a two year old bird.

It was probably just beginner luck.  I've never had one that easy since.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

Bills Custom Calls

How do I remember all this good info here

I will do my best,and I thank all of you for the responses

KySongDog

Here's some more help, Bill.  Kinda basic but good info none the less.  Its from the  TV show Kentucky Afield.

Semp

HaMeR

Quote from: bnccont on April 02, 2008, 07:59:04 PM
How do I remember all this good info here

I will do my best,and I thank all of you for the responses

Bill-- I'm gonna try to help you here.

Scouting-- You gotta have birds to call birds. Know your land as well as possible.

Approach-- You really don't want to spook them on the roost but if you do all may not be lost.

Setup-- This comes after your approach obviously. You need to get hidden preferrably with the sun to your back & with plenty of swing options. Remember,, if you shoot right handed you want your left shoulder facing the intended approach. This will allow you maximum swing. Take a VERY comfy seat.

Calling-- I prefer a few,, 2-3,, soft clucks just as the crows start calling. I don't call alot usually unless they hit the ground & are gobbling away from me. Be prepared to move quickly or wait for their return. Play this by gut feeling.

You can get away with a little movement if you have a blind of some type in front of you.

Last but not least would be keeping us informed in detail so we can continue to help you. You have my number as well. I hope we can get together for a turkey hunt!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

Thanks guys

Glen I will probably do some scouting on the 12th or 13th of this month and see if my grandson can find
a turkey or 2

HaMeR

Cool deal!! Good Luck to Curtis!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

Will Turkey's roost in the same tree every night
The reason I ask is this morning I was on stand about 5:45 am
I know there are turkey's in this area because I seen them and was told by others that they are here.
At about 6:10 it really starts getting light out and I start calling softly along with the crows,and a hawk or 2
screaching,no answers,and no movement.around 6:30 I move to get a little better cover I only moved about 15 ft
break a few limbs out of the way and get nestled in and watch the other way.At 7am about 100 yards to my left I hear a turkey come off roost I catch a climps of movement as it flutters down then  never shows itself,and never makes a sound.I am thinking this bird has been watching me the whole time since I set up and wasn't gonna let me even have a peek.

KySongDog

Quote from: bnccont on April 30, 2008, 06:24:55 PM
Will Turkey's roost in the same tree every night

Nope. That would make it too easy!   :nono:  I think they just move around all day and when it gets dark they find a good tree and up they go.   That doesn't mean they won't roost in the same tree twice but it sure ain't guaranteed!   :biggrin:

Quote from: bnccont on April 30, 2008, 06:24:55 PM

At about 6:10 it really starts getting light out and I start calling softly along with the crows,and a hawk or 2
screaching,no answers,and no movement.around 6:30 I move to get a little better cover I only moved about 15 ft
break a few limbs out of the way and get nestled in and watch the other way.

I think you need to sit still a lot longer.  Especially right after light.  The birds are still in the trees and can see a country mile!
If you move they will see ya and then...bye, bye.  Also, if the bird is close there is a 50/50 chance he will fly down on your side of the tree with out even calling.  Patience and no movement are extremely important in turkey hunting.

Once the birds are on the ground you can move if you can use terrain features to hide your movement. 

Hang in there Bill.  You'll nail one yet!   :biggrin:

Semp

alscalls

The only way to know for sure bill is to put them to bed in the evining by going out and sitting close to where you want to hunt and just listen dont call to him and if he flys up you will hear him and more than likely he will gobble some. Then pick your plan for him.
Right now you dont even know if he is a gobbler for sure but if you can not get out this eveining the gobblers will be looking for a hen. If you are sure he /she was even roosted.
Sometimes a call shy bird will fly in, land on a tree look for you/ the hen he hears, and see you move then fly off.
If you are sure the bird was roosted I would try and get uphill from that location before daylight and just listen for a good while and if nothing happens yelp softly a few times wait five min. , do it again then do a fly down cackle while beating your hat against the ground. Then see what happens no one can get it right even most of the time bill just learn from it and go for it. I hope this helps some. :eyebrownod:
AL