• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Got out with a friend today

Started by coyote101, December 01, 2017, 01:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I took my friend Kenny out to the turkey hunting grounds this morning. Kenny used to lease this farm with me, and several years ago called in the first gobbler I ever shot.

We were setup about forty-five minutes before sunrise waiting on the turkeys to wake up. They started talking and flying down in the woods behind us about 6:45, but they weren't coming into the field where we were. Then, just before 7:00 half a dozen jakes came out of the woods 150 yards in front of us. They were feeding out into the field, but didn't seem to be paying much attention to the calling or decoys. But, they were heading generally in our direction. They kept it up till they were within about 60 yards, and then they locked in on the decoys and here they came!

They went straight to the jake decoy and stomped the $#!t out of it. They were pretty excited, jumping and moving around and didn't offer a clear, still target for several seconds. Then one of them stood still broadside and Kenny shot. The turkey jumped up and down a few times, ran a few steps and tried to fly off. He made it thirty or forty yards and ended up at the edge of the woods to our left front.

Two of his buddies followed him to the woods, pecked at him for a little bit and left the scene. The other three stayed out in front of us by the decoys for another fifty minutes, before heading into the woods. We finally got out of the blind, took the requisite hero shots, and called it a morning.   

Kenny and his turkey. This is the first thing he's shot with his new bow. He stood the jake decoy up before I took the picture. His pop-up blind is in the background over his shoulder. He wanted to use it this morning, but we ended up setup only about forty yards from the permanent blind I've been hunting from.  :shrug:

The three jakes next to the hen decoy. The jake decoy they stomped is laying on the ground to the left.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Really enjoyed your story and pics.  Wish I could have seen them stomp the decoy!  Golly that would be fun to hunt those things.

A grandson and I saw wild turkeys in the Canadian Rockies a few days ago, first I've ever seen anywhere in that region.  A flock of them stopped traffic at the edge of town in Radium Hot Springs, right where the bighorn sheep cross the road.

coyote101

Quote from: Okanagan on December 01, 2017, 02:50:10 PM
Really enjoyed your story and pics.  Wish I could have seen them stomp the decoy!  Golly that would be fun to hunt those things.

I should have taken video of it, but I was busy playing with a new range finder.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

JohnP

Pat, a few questions:  (1) What species of of turkey do you have in Ky?  (2) Are your tags issued when you buy your license or must you apply?  (3) Have you ever had any coyotes/bobcats respond to your turkey calls? (4) Is there a movement underway in Ky to limit YOUR turkey tags?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Dave

Congrats to Kenny - with a compound bow too!

coyote101

Quote from: JohnP on December 03, 2017, 08:32:54 AM
Pat, a few questions:  (1) What species of of turkey do you have in Ky?  (2) Are your tags issued when you buy your license or must you apply?  (3) Have you ever had any coyotes/bobcats respond to your turkey calls? (4) Is there a movement underway in Ky to limit YOUR turkey tags?

John,

1. We only have the Eastern wild turkey here.

2. Turkey tags can be purchased over the counter, online, or are included in our Sportsman's license. There is no drawing. A fall turkey tag allows a hunter to take four turkeys.

3. I have only seen coyotes come in twice while I was calling, but it may have happened many times unbeknownst to me. I shot at one with my crossbow a couple of years ago, but misjudged the distance and shot just over his back, trimming a few hairs and sending him scurrying into the woods.

4. I hope not.

Pat   

NRA Life Member

FinsnFur

You aint messin around :highclap: Now your guiding
I love the frosty ground.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com