• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

S'posed to get my biggest heart valve replaced

Started by Okanagan, February 15, 2024, 12:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

The big aortic valve in my heart is all brittled up with calcium and the docs plan to replace it within 3 weeks or so.  This just FYI.  They plan to do a TAVR procedure (I don't know either :shrug: ) and slide in a new cow/bovine heart valve through an artery in my groin, rather than cut my chest open.  The valve makes a slushy washing machine sound instead of a thumping beat, and has gotten louder over the past several months.  The doc figures that my current old valve will last another 6-12 months, maybe more, if I don't have it replaced. 

The kids figure that maybe their old man will finally get a heart after all. :wink:

Todd Rahm

Wish ya the best hands in the business, and a speedy recovery brother.

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

A washing machine slushing :huh:

I dont envy any part of that. But I do hope and pray that all goes well. The pros definitely outweigh the cons :readthis:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Good luck Mr.Okanagan. A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE 💪

nastygunz

TAVR replaces an aortic valve that is not working properly or is diseased with an aortic valve made from animal tissue. The TAVR procedure is minimally invasive, requiring only a small cut in the skin. It does not require open-heart surgery. The aortic valve is one of four valves that control blood flow in the heart.

Hawks Feather

Sorry that you have to have this done, but glad that it isn't open heart. My neighbor just had a valve replaced but via open heart. She is doing great and I am sure that you will be too. From talking with others, like my dad years ago, you should notice a big difference. Prayers for a quick recovery.

Okanagan

Thanks for the good wishes and for the super clear diagram of the TAVR procedure, though now I can't see it and wonder if I was imagining it!  :laf:

msmith

Good luck and God bless! Everyone I know that has had a heart procedure or surgery has felt better afterwards. Hopefully you do too.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

nastygunz

Up here in the hills a good bush doctor could do that procedure with a Barlow pocket knife and some rubbing alcohol  :innocentwhistle:

nastygunz

I didn't know the human heart had four valves, so we are basically all four cylinders. I would rather be a V-8.

Okanagan

My son said he wished they could put a valve from an elk, that it would be a lot tougher and stronger than one from a beef cow.  All kidding aside, I'm sure that he is right.

I killed an old mule deer buck one time whose heart was totally calcified in that center divider part, like an apple core all the way though the heart.  In the center it was brittle hard but faded to a softer cartilage and into regular heart muscle away from that hard center. 

Okanagan

Quote from: nastygunz on February 18, 2024, 09:20:30 AMI didn't know the human heart had four valves, so we are basically all four cylinders. I would rather be a V-8.

How about a two cylinder heart like the old John Deere tractors!? :biggrin:

msmith

Quote from: Okanagan on February 18, 2024, 10:44:43 AM
Quote from: nastygunz on February 18, 2024, 09:20:30 AMI didn't know the human heart had four valves, so we are basically all four cylinders. I would rather be a V-8.

It would definitely sound cool and have some serious low end torque... I think  :confused:
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

KySongDog

Quote from: Okanagan on February 15, 2024, 12:21:41 PMThe big aortic valve in my heart is all brittled up with calcium and the docs plan to replace it within 3 weeks or so.  This just FYI.  They plan to do a TAVR procedure (I don't know either :shrug: ) and slide in a new cow/bovine heart valve through an artery in my groin, rather than cut my chest open.  The valve makes a slushy washing machine sound instead of a thumping beat, and has gotten louder over the past several months.  The doc figures that my current old valve will last another 6-12 months, maybe more, if I don't have it replaced. 

The kids figure that maybe their old man will finally get a heart after all. :wink:

Sorry you have to go through this. You'll get prayers from KY for sure.

FinsnFur

Quote from: msmith on February 19, 2024, 11:42:04 AM
Quote from: Okanagan on February 18, 2024, 10:44:43 AM

It would definitely sound cool and have some serious low end torque... I think  :confused:

:alscalls:  :alscalls:  :alscalls:  I cant even  :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com