• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

stevens vs mossberg

Started by straycat, September 09, 2006, 08:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straycat

Alright,I've decided that I am going to break down and buy a new rifle in 243.I've done a little net research and have seen both the Stevens 200 and Mossberg ATR100 at good prices.I'm leaning towards the Stevens since Savage after market parts fit it but the Mossy is a little cheaper.Has anyone got any experiance with either of these?Or just an opinion on if I'm leaning the right way? Any comments appreciated.

Straycat
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Rick223

Ive never owned a Stevens or mossberg rifle but a guy I work with bought a stevens model 200 he said it shot just ok.But thats just one opinion. I bought a savage model 10 in .243
for $400 (it was on sale at our local dealer regular price is around 500)it has the accu trigger and it shot great I was getting 3/4 in groups at 100
with 85 grain sierra hpbt factory loads. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.
For a little more money I think you might be happier with a savage.
I also found that most places like cabalas sell these guns alot cheaper than what is suggested on their websites.
In fact heres what Im gonna buy this fall.

New hinged floorplate, AccuTriggerTM, stainless barreled action, free-floating, button rifled barrel, swivel studs. Adjustable Muzzle Brake reduces felt recoil by 30%. $650
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

ROOSTER

Rick223

Stevens really why? Im just curious are they good shooters?Because they are cheap. Their made by savage I guess they have them on their website and savage has come a long way in producing good rifles.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

straycat

Rick,
       Fromwhat I understand the Stevens is basicly a 110 without accutrigger and a cheaper stock.I could be wrong............I was once in 84.
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

fuzz624

The stevens is a relly good rifle.It is a 110 or 10 depending weather you buy long or short action.I traded a mossberg in on my new 22-250.The mossberg shot pretty good but had the worst trigger i have ever seen.The stevens shoots a little under 1 inch groups with factory winchester 45 grain. the trigger is not bad after i adjusted it down.If you need more info on the stevens,check out www.savageshooters.com.

Rick223

See ya learn something everyday thanks  :yoyo:

FinsnFur

Quote from: straycat on September 10, 2006, 08:38:39 AM
Rick,
      I could be wrong............I was once in 84.

:roflmao:  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

ROOSTER

Stevens is a Savage with out the Accutrigger.  If you decide to change calibers later on it is a pretty simple operation to do so. Plus they are darn fine shooting once you tune the trigger.

fuzz624

I agree,the Stevens is a great little gun for the money.You can do so much to them with just a few tools,you dont need to pay a gunsmith.If you buy one and decide later on you want a different caliber,you can just swap out barrels.I do however like the accutrigger in the savage.I am thinking about putting a SSS trigger in my Stevens.They are on sale for 75.00 and i have heard alote of good things about them.Weather you buy the Stevens or a Savage i dont think you will be disapointed.

ROOSTER

I have a SSS Comp. trigger on my .308. Really nice trigger :yoyo:. It also has a SSS barrel on it. Super accurate. :bowingsmilie: