• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

22-250vs 204

Started by fuzz624, November 20, 2006, 12:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzz624

I keep hearing about how good the 204 is for coyotes.It seems to me that it would be a little light.Some people say that it has more stopping power than the 22-250.They also say that the 204 barrel life is better because it burns less powder.I dont see how either of thease could be true.I have always thought that speed is what burns up barrels.I also dont see how a 32 grain bullet can pack as much punch as a 50 grain.I want to know what you guys think.Thanks guys

Fuzz

studabaka

I'm no expert, but I have the same view as you...... however, in the right hands, under right curcumstances, with the right load, the 204 could do well and possibly be more fur friendly. My preferred choices are .223 and 22-250 and am considering a .243. I don't reload.... .223 is fairly cheap and available.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

browning204

I have read alot of guys shooting 35+ grainers outta the .204 and having good results.

from what I understand, pin like entrance and it turns the insides to "tomato soup"

I have never shot a 22/250 but would like to.  I love the .204 so far on paper and it is fun to shoot, with the heavier bullets, you can watch your bullet impact through the scope.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

OKTrap

It is not the heavy grain packing the punch ... it is the lighter grain expanding faster than the heavier that has the takedown.

With the right load and lighter grain ... you can have more takedown with no exit in some instances. Where as ... with the heavier grain ... you can get an entrance and exit the same size since the heavier does not have time to expand if the target is in too close for you load.

Mallardsr

A factory loaded 55 grain winnie soft point out of a 22-250 has left an exit hole atleast  the size of a softball when put in the boiler room at 200 yards . If a 204 has that power it aint fur friendly!

RagnCajn

The 204 will never be capable of delivering the punch and knockdown that a 22-250 can deliver. They are too different.
"Ain't never hit one yet, I didn't burn powder at."

fuzz624

I agree RagnCajn.I have already decided to stick with my 22-250.I was just wondering what the the rest of you thought.I also dont see how barrel life can be any better for the 204.There are alote of people claiming that the 204 barrel will last longer,because it holds less powder.I still believe that barrel life has more to do with speed than powder charge.

RagnCajn

There is a lot more to burning out a barrel than just speed of the bullet or just powder burned. It can't be narrowed down to either. A boresopce will reveal what is happening. The barrel will take on a look somewhat like an alligators hide, the throat will be cut and ragged looking. It is caused by a combination of heat and powder gasses. since the throat is the hottest it will begin to show signs first then will travel down the barrel as time goes on. The more heat and gasses you send down the barrel on each firing the faster the wear will show up. The soft copper jacket is not what wears out a barrrel, no matter how fast you send it down the tube. There is also the matter of bore diameter to powder ratio. A 17 rem can be considered a magnum round. It is burning a lot of powder comparative to bore diameter. Firing a 204 and a 22-250 side by side in the same sequence, due to the barrel getting hotter and more erosive gasses, the 22-250 will burn out faster than the 204.
"Ain't never hit one yet, I didn't burn powder at."

Hawks Feather

Ragn,

Aren't bore scopes fun?  I love to take mine to gun shows and when I am told that the used gun has a barrel that looks like it has never been fired I ask if I can check the bore.  When they offer me a little light I say that I will just use mine.  I take it out of the case, check it and it is usually bad, and then ask them if they have ever seen a new barrel and if it would look like this one.  It has saved me from making some "poor barrel" purchases over the years.

Jerry

Pilgrim

I'm not a .204 "cult member", but I've used a .204 exclusiively for a year and a half now.  It's my favorite of all I've had (and I have/had 22-250, 220 swift, 222, 222 mag, 223, 17 rem, 22 hornet).  It fits my type of hunting perfectly...most shots 100-200 yards, with some out to 400.  Nickle sized exits on red fox, grey fox, and bobcat...usually no exit on coyote.   Shot placement may be a little more important than a 22-250, but I've only had 2 coyotes run and the dozens of others are either dead-right-there or flop less than 2 feet.   I shoot a 40 gr Berger hollow-point at around 3800 fps...accurate and deadly.   For my kind of shooting and for my area, I love the advantages that it has on the 22-250...  less recoil, report, fur damage and as straight a line to 500 yards and almost as much knock-down power at those longer ranges too.    I like it. 

fuzz624

Thanks for the info Cajn.Now i know what burns out barrels.Pilgrim,im glad it is working out for you.I have heard of some spatter issues out of the 32 grain bullets.Id say shooting the 40 grain bullets is a good idea.Id say that you have a heck of a coyote gun shooting those 40 grain bullets.I wasnt trying to knock on the 204,just wondering what all the hype was about.My favorite round is still the 220 swift,but i dont even own one anymore.We all have our preferences.The 22-250 im useing now,i bought to build a 220 out of.After i shot it,i couldnt bring myself to tear it apart.Thanks for the replies guys.

FinsnFur

Is that really what the buzz is on the trajectory? 500 yds?  :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Pilgrim

Jim - I'm not sure I understand your question.  I was just comparing the trajectories of the 22-250 and the .204 out to 500 yards.  The difference is minor.  I don't take 500 yard shots...I suppose I would probably try it.  400 yards is about my comfortable max - My bullet drop is about 15" at that range.

FinsnFur

Ahh you already touched what I was questioning

Quote from: Pilgrim on November 21, 2006, 08:03:25 PM
and as straight a line to 500 yards 

Quote from: Pilgrim on November 22, 2006, 10:01:33 AM
I was just comparing the trajectories of the 22-250 and the .204 out to 500 yards.  The difference is minor.

I shoot 55 gr Noz Spitzers out of my Ruger / 22-250.
39.5 grains of H380 puts em on their way roughly 3736 fps and I'm dropping just shy of an inch at 200 yds. So when I seen your first post, I was like  :shck:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Pilgrim

OH!  Now I understand the misunderstanding (does that makes sense).   I didn't mean to imply "as straight AS a line to 500" but I meant the .204 is as straight OF a line as the 22-250 out to 500.   

My 40grn bullets at 3800 fps , zeroed at 200 yards:    0.8 high at 100, -5 at 300, -15.5 at 400, -33.5 at 500      I'm guessing that is fairly close to the trajectory that you're getting with the 55 grainers. ? 

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

fuzz624

Man Jim,your load is almost identical to mine.Im shooting 39.5 grains of H380 and a 50 grain v-max.I havent chrongraphed my load yeat.

FinsnFur

Shoot out at high noon  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

fuzz624

Can we shoot at 500 yards? My scope is bigger than yours :biggrin:

FinsnFur