• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Browning Shorttrac Stalker

Started by Mallardsr, November 25, 2006, 03:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mallardsr

As some of you already know I've been looking for an auto rifle that would fill the bill for a calling rifle.After a lot of research and polling, I decided on a Browning Shorttrac Stalker in .243. I have had the opportunity to carry it in the woods and found that it handles and carries well. I have shot a box of shells through it with out a hitch. It is an all around great rifle so far. Time will tell if it can hold up to my torture, but I'm betting it will. Here are some pics of the gun.

The scope is a Burris Fullfield II 3x9x40  B-PLEX  and is mounted with Leupold style metal rings and bases made by Weaver.
I chose some Federal 70 gr. Ballistic tips to start with. Here is a target with the last four shells of that box.

This group will kill coyotes as far as I will ever shoot. For an auto rifle it far surpassed my expectations. I believe this Shorttrac is a keeper.
RP

straycat

Nice lookin' gun. Congrats ! Looks like it shoots purty good to me,are you gonna reload for it? If so,what do you think you will use as far as bullet and powder?Just being nosy ! :laf:

P.S. whats that dohickey on the right side behind the forarm,mag release? Seems like a strange place for it.
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Mallardsr

That dohickey is the bolt release that Al brought to my attn. before I purchased it. I have not had any problems with it and after inspection I forsee no problems. As far as the loads,the 70 gr. shoot so well I might try Hornadys 58 gr.

fuzz624

Verry nice Mallard.That is a nice group out of a new rifle.It will probaly tighten up a little more after you get some more down the tube.Id say you got  a heck of a nice coyote rifle.

FinsnFur

Nice Mallard. I really like the looks of that thing.

I love the looks of the grip. Looks like it hooks down fast so you dont have to have your elbow in the air when your shooting. Same reasons I went to a thumbhole.
Nice rig  :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

That is one sweat looking rifle and shoots good to boot. Your killing me i want one now.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

coyotehunter_1

Nice rig!  :congrats:

One thing you will soon find... the 243 puts coyotes in the dirt... NOW!  :eyebrownod:

Now get out there and good luck...  :biggrin:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Mallardsr

Thanks for all the replies. This rifle does come with spacers to adjust the drop on the stock for a perfect fit but I haven't  had time for any moving targets yet. I'll  work that out in time. RP

Bopeye

That is a sweet set up..........hmmmm......I might be interested in something like that.  :wo:

That is sweet....... :wink:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

straycat

Kinda reminds me of a Benilli Nova shotgun. I thought only Berretta shotguns came with pitch spacers..........learn something new everyday. 
Now ya just need to spray paint it camo !   :innocentwhistle:                        :roflmao:
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

Mallardsr

Ouch !!!!!!!    Got to get a few scratches on it first.  :biggrin:

Arkyyoter

I am thinking that will be the perfect yote rifle.......now I am wanting one too......keep us posted!!

Joe

browning204

I am a big fan of Browning firearms, I own a couple of bolt guns and an over and under shotgun from them.

I have been thinking of getting a .243 for a while, your looks nice!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

Bopeye

I went and read a little about these guns..........is the biggest clip you can get for it only hold three rounds?

Just wondering

Bopeye

Reason I'm asking is because I like to fire at least 2 or 3 warning shots before I let them have the lethal one.............only fair way to do it I figure... :wo:
:nono:

Mallardsr

Bopeye, I was thinking 4 in the box 1 in the pipe. 5 total.

Bopeye

That'll do nicely........... :wink:

Would it still hold as many say in the 7mm WSM?

Just curious.......I like to shoot and gut 'em all at the same time...... :eyebrow:

I really do like that gun. I showed it to a guy at work today.....he said he'd like to get one either in the 7mm or 300......he hunts squirrels...... :nono:

Mallardsr

The 243 and 308 are 4 per mag. 270 , 7mm , 300 are 3 per mag. + 1 in the pipe for all.