• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Injured buck

Started by HuntnCarve, January 08, 2015, 06:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Way back the second week of December ( the day before the end of Buck season), I noticed this buck across the field out back.  He had an injured left hind leg.  I could see no wound.  But figured he had a run in with an automobile?  He was in no jeopardy from me.  Having already filled my buck tag previously.
All I could do is watch as he slowly limped up through the woods into a thicket.  I sort of figured he would be hanging out there.  Here's a short video I took.

A few weeks later, early in the morning, I spotted a lone deer bedded in the woodlot across the field.  It was the injured buck.  However, now he was no longer sporting his antlers.  He looked pretty beat up, but I could see him chewing his cud.  So he was still browsing.  Later on when he got up I could see the dangling hind leg and gaunt hip.  He slowly browsed his way up the hill pausing frequently to rest.

[You can see his injured leg up off the ground in the above two photos]

I did not see the buck for a week until one night I heard the neighbors dog barking at night?  I grabbed my spotlight and went out on the deck.  Shining down below I spotted eyes along the near field edge.  It was the buck.  He was sifting through the corn stubble down below.  The next morning I saw him slowly limping his way back up the wood lot towards the thicket.  I decided I would try and help him out.  I went up to the feed store and picked up a bag of "Build a Buck".  It's the feed stores homemade blend of oats, corn, sunflower, pelleted alfalfa, and vitamin mineral supplements.  I poured out a few piles down below HH2 and set up watch that night.  The first two nights nothing touched the feed.  Then a few nights back I looked out and saw a deer at the feed piles.  It was the buck!  He was contentedly working over one of the piles.  Having finished, he snatched up a small sapling sprout along the field edge and chewed it like a tooth pick.  He seemed to be getting along, albeit slowly.  The injured leg still drawn up, hanging limply.

Knowing that he found the feed piles, I went down yesterday and freshened them up.  This afternoon I looked out the back and saw a deer up on the hill. It was the buck.  He seemed to be gazing longingly towards the feed piles, but eventually headed back up the hill into the thicket.

It was this evening when the wife yelled up to me that there were deer out in the field.  Looking out the back bedroom window above the feed piles, I watched as four doe made a beeline over to sample the buffet.  It was not minutes later when I noticed movement up in the woods across the field.  It was the buck, slowly making his way over.

[You can see the buck making his way across the field in the above photo]

He ended up commandeering a pile of his own.  The doe's eventually moved on back across the field and up into the woods.  The buck remained there eating for about a half hour.  Then he took up the trail of the doe's and headed on back up into the woods.
From all appearances, it looks like he'll never regain the use of his leg.  I truly hope he survives.  You have to admire his will to live.  If you were to ask me "would I shoot him?"  Circumstances being what they were, and had I had an unfilled buck tag?  I probably would have with out a doubt.  Now I respectfully want to see him make it.  I know all you hunters understand the mixed emotions.  He'll never be the buck he once was.  But then again, neither will the rest of us.  :laf:  I wish the Ol boy luck.  It's going to be a long Winter.  I'll keep you all posted.

HuntnCarve
Dave

riverboss

Thats a great story! I really liked it and share your feelings as well. I hope you can find his sheds that would be the iceing on the cake.

FinsnFur

Thanks Dave, I enjoyed that :wink:
What you described there at the end is what makes us hunters. If you have no respect for the animal, your a killer, not a hunter. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

"What a great story!" were the first words in my mind as well.

I watched a three legged coyote help his mate raise pups near our house one spring.  This buck can make it if he can evade predators.  Funny how we shoot them and then root for one that is down on his luck!

HuntnCarve

Update:

The wounded buck has been hanging around.  He's a regular at the feed pile, and seems to be getting by.
Here's a couple photos of him taken this morning.  You can see his injured hind leg plainly. 

The feed piles have been a big hit.  Sunday night there were 4 other bucks down there.  One a nice 7 pt.  The other night we saw 12 doe, but they seem to have dispersed.  Now there's a core group of 3 doe, and a small yearling buck.  The injured buck seems to hang out and feed with them.  They usually arrive at 5:20 PM, and the injured buck a few minutes afterwards.

HuntnCarve
Dave

riverboss

It kind of looks like it out of place not broken. I bet its anoying as heck! I wonder how it will effect his rack this yr? Usually with injurys one side is messed up.

Carolina Coyote

Dave , With your help he can make it for a while, it is amazing what they can endure and keep on trucking, loving the wildlife the way you do I'm glad you helping him out. I have shot several wounded Deer while hunting, hated to do it but felt it was better than getting dragged down by a pack of Coyotes. Keep us posted. cc  :bowingsmilie:

slagmaker

Aw man!! Glad you can help him out.

I think riverboss is right. it dosnt look broken more like dislocated. I will be looking forward to your field reports on this fellow.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

Hes a lil guy aint he? Nice pics :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

HuntnCarve

Jim,

The photos don't do his size justice.  I'm figuring he's in the 180 - 200 Lb range on the hoof?  When you see him next to other deer he dwarfs them.

He was at the feed last night with a one horn "Y" buck.  Ate his fill, then lay down right behind HH1.

Dale

not sure why I hadn't before but just looked at the video... that was a nice looking rack on that deer... wasn't anything small about him...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

JohnP

Years ago we had a doe in the backyard laying up under a mesquite.  Put the spotting scope on her and she was all torn up, big claw marks down her shoulder and hind quarter, also had a ear ripped to shreds and she was covered in blood.  Thought about shooting her but got out voted by the kids and the boss.  Following day she got up and moved a bit closer to the house.  We went to the feed store and bought a bag of sweet feed and horse pellets, put that out for her with a tub of water.  In a few days she was up walking around and seemed to be in good shape.  The following three or four years she would bring her fawns down almost to the patio, then one years she just  vanished, don't know what happened to her, maybe that lion was finally successful. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

possumal

That is really good stuff, Dave.  I hope he makes it completely and can sport a good rack again.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

HuntnCarve

I got concerned there for a while when I did not see the injured buck for several days?  Then the one night he was back. He usually waits till there are a few doe's eating first.  Then he'll hobble over, eat for about 20 minutes.  Then head back across the field.  In the meantime, I'm seeing three other bucks and eleven doe at the feed piles.  Guess word got out about the buffet?  :laf:

Dave

Hawks Feather

Quote from: HuntnCarve on January 23, 2015, 06:02:30 PM
Guess word got out about the buffet?  :laf:

Dave

If you feed them, they will come...

Jerry

HuntnCarve

This was yesterday.  The lame buck is leading the pack.  The farmer was plowing his lane and spooked the bucks out of the hedge row.   He can move pretty good when he has to.  The 5pt and 7pt are hanging with him.  There's also a one horn "Y" buck that has been bossing all the other deer at the feed.

HuntnCarve
Dave

Carolina Coyote

Hey Dave, Looks like the Buck is moving pretty good . That has to give you a good feeling for giving him a new lease on life. cc

HuntnCarve

Yeah Carl, it's good to see him at least getting by.  I'll be glad when the young bucks lose their antlers, and stop bossing him at the feed piles.  They have the advantage for now.  :laf:

Dave

FinsnFur

This whole thread has been a pretty cool journey so far, Dave :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers