• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Broad Heads?

Started by cb223, September 16, 2007, 04:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cb223

I'm currently shopping for new broad heads. I've been shooting muzzys for a few years now. It's time for some new ones.

I'm leaning towards 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inch expandables. They will be only for whitetails.

What does everyone else shoot and how do they preform?
CHAD

Coulter

I nhaven't shot my bow in years, but my buddy is an avid archer and he was tellinfg me about somne expandables that are relatively new. I think they are called Rage if I remember right. He said they don't use any rubberbands to keep the closed and only expand on impact leaving a nice sized hole in the other side of your deer. He also said they shoot just like a field tip, but they will tear up your 3-D target. If I ever get back into archery I would give them a try. Good luck,

Steve

Silencer

Dont know, I've been a Muzzy man since they come out with em  :biggrin:  Before Muzzy I was shooting Thunderheads.
I'm not a big fan of expandables, but if I were to try them it would be what Coulter suggested with the Rage's.

bowjunkie

I use rocky mountain premiers 75 grain on gold tip 7595xt's at 45 yards they blow through a bull elk with ease to bad they quit makin em never tried mech.  Some guys I know use em ,the old stile when they first came out worked well on broadside shots but quartering away sometimes the blades would try to open and deflect the arrow (and ya I have seen it happen )on a huge bull at 30 yrds, most of the newer ones seem to be better if I was switchin I would look at small replaceable blade fixed like RM titanium's or something along those lines

Ed

studabaka

I'm using Grim Reaper mechanicals this year...... No rubber bands and they do shoot like field tips...... Still need to see how they perform on a real hit... hopefully I will be able to advise that soon.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

canine

Stu..I have used Grim Reapers before,, they worked great. Only problem I had with them was the price tag :madd:

I picked up a bunch of thunderheads at a garage sale a couple years ago and have been using them since. Had to get a washer for them to thread them on my Easton Axis arrows though, the axis arrow is small in diameter.

JD

trappinjohn

I was a loyal Muzzy shooter for years.  About 8 years ago or so, a friend ask me to help him track a gut shot doe he shot with a 125 gr Vortex.  We tracked her for about 150 yard with no problem at all.  Put it this way, wasn't much left inside her.  I've been using them ever since and love them.

Placement is everything, but a 2 3/4" cut is nasty.

HaMeR

I use Spitfires in my crossbow. They are mechanicals. I shot a nice doe last year at 19yds with these thru the heavy part of her front shoulder & the arrow blew 2 ribs out the opposite side on exit. I was setting on the ground for this shot.

This is my 1st year with a compound & I have some Thunderhead XP's threaded on.

BTW-- A note for folks shooting out of pop up blinds with the shoot thru screens. Mechanicals ARE NOT recommended for these screens. Fixed broadheads only.HTH

thanks for the Forum Jim!! I can't contribute much but I will when I can. :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

Out of my recurve or long bows, I've shot the old Bear broadheads, Snuffers, Magnus, and Zwickey's, and liked em all. Most 125 gr. all glue on, wood shafts.
Out of my compounds I shot 100 gr. Thunderheads for a lot a years, they flew good and I took quite a few animals with them. A year ago I ran out of replacement blades for them, and had to spend some money anyways, so I thought what the heck, and decided to try something new. I'll say up front, I'm not a big fan of expandable broadheads. I've had friends that have tried them, and I've seen some pretty ugly things with them, like bad penetration, and arrow deflection on a quartering shot. I guess my theory is why add more moving parts, and something else to go wrong.  ( But I also know people that use them, and like them. Just not for me, and I won't recommend them to others. ) I decided to go with the 100 gr. 4 blade Magnus Stingers. I like the cut on contact style of broadheads , and they fly good. So far I've only shot one thing with them, a boar down in Texas last year, and was pleased. I've also heard a lot of good things about the Slick Tricks. There's definitely a lot of choices out there.   :confused: :confused: :laf:
Scott

George Ackley

I also use mechanicals , my chose are VORTEX 125 grain with a 2 3/4 cutting dia.

they put the whammy's on them.

I tried most of them on the market and none have let me down yet. What ever you go with just make shore it is the right grain head for the arrow your shooting and the game your chasing.
I shoot 2314 XX75 for larger game with a 31'' drawl  and set at about 63 lb with 4'' vanes this arrow I use the 125 vortex I like heads with a chockar (SPELLING :confused:) tip for helping with penetration though bone I have yet to sheer off any blades bye passing though bone with this head. but I also shoot Easton ACC 360'S and I shoot a 100 grain vortex with them out of the same bow but I shoot 2 and 3'' vanes on them.
I like my arrows set up with a little Waite forward so what ever you choose just make shore that the grain of the head is not to much forward Waite for you chosen arrow..

Best of luck this season
George
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

Roundman

The Rage is the rage this year. The test that was done at a local shop proved to me they are the real deal. They cut/opened and had deeper penetration than any other broad head tested.

I like to shoot a couple different types each year and try them out. This year I'm shooting the 100gr Spitfire and they fly true. The Naps have a good cutting area and the blades have some beef to them.

Next summer I will test the Rage heads for myself and see how they shoot in my bow. See what shoots best for you and go with it...90% of it is arrow placement anyway.

newbomb

The last couple years I have been using the NAP spitfire 100 grain. I have been very,very pleased with the penetration and damage they have done.

KySongDog

Been using Bear Super Razor heads for about 30 years now.  Seems to work OK for me.  Easy to resharpen.

wv_yoter

I shoot 100 grain WASP Bullitt SST on a Easton Super-Lite A/C/C and they shoot the same as my field points.
Jason

cb223

I appreciate all the input guys.

I have been doing alot of reading and searching the last few days. One thing I figured out for sure, opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one! As soon as you think you have an idea of what you want, the next website says the opposite.

Anyway I'm 90% sure I'm gonna go with 100gr 3 blade Rage. There is alot more good than bad posted about this head!

CHAD

cb223

After talking with the guy in the archery shop today, he said they sell alot of them and has had nothing but good reports.

I bought the 3 blade rage!
CHAD

TookyRiverCalls

Started off with Thunderheads years ago.  Tried the Pluckets Bloodtrailer (I think :confused: that what they were called) and got rid of them immediately.  What a joke those thing were :rolleye:  Went to Muzzy and was with them for many many years with some awesome shots. They were incredible for me.  Gave the expandable a try again with Rockets and got rid of them after loosing a real nice buck.  Tried the G% but quickly went right back to Muzzy but was a little unhappy with my arrow flight.  Still hunted with them, just had to watch out what arrows I put in my quiver.  I then gave Nitrons by NAP and absolutely love them :eyebrownod:

I've found (for me and my bow) that they were the most accurate fixed blades I've shoot so far.  Not nearly as damaging as the Muzzys but with the right shot placement, they don't have to be.
GOOD LUCK
www.tookyrivercalls.com
The Last Call Your Turkey Will Ever Hear

bigben

I have used the muzzys the last three years but have not connected on a deer with it yet.  I used to shoot the bear 125gr razorheads with the bleeder blade in and I think it is hands down the toughest broadhead.  I love em and if these muzzys do not preform on a deer then I am going back to them.  I never had a problem gettin either of them to tune just wanted to try a three blade broadhead to see if blood trails are easier then the two blade with the smaller bleeder blades. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.