• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Bowhunting Coyoties

Started by DGF, November 04, 2007, 07:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGF

Does anybody else try to hunt coyotes with a bow? Yesterday morning was my first time out and called in two and shot one. Was going to go again this morning but the bed was a little to warm to leave.

iahntr

We need to see pics man! Stories are always good too.  :readthis: :biggrin:  I haven't set up specifically just for coyote with my bow. I've done some callin while deer huntin out of my stand. I called one in Thurs about sunset, but he stayed behind some junk I couldn't get a arrow through, and then left. I got some to howl back at me about 15 mins. later. I may try it more this year, kinda depends on how my deer huntin goes too. Have fun, remember the camera.  :wink: Scott
Scott

FinsnFur

I dont even know if I can shoot a bow  :sad: But I'm interested in more on your saga. Bring us some pics, sounds like fun  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

DGF

I don't have a camera . Droped two in the lake kayaking this year and have not bought another one yet, which will be water proof.

I was hunting on the backside of the farm and started with a locator call, that really got them going. Then used a puppy distress call for about a min and turned it off . There was two coyote's that came running in and stopped behind a brush pile that did not offer a clear shot. they started to come around the brush pile as I was drawing back the lead dog seen me just as I got to full draw and all I could do was let loose the arrow. I did make a good hit just to the right of where the neck and shoulder meet and the arrow exited just behind the rib cage on the oppisite side. The bow gods were with me. Normaly I only get drawn back on 1 out of 10 that actually come into range with out being seen. The second dog ran out of sight and would not come back, It stayed off in the woods barking for a good bit of time.

BigB

Congrats on getting one with a bow!  I never have taken my bow out when trying for coyotes.  I like shooting them with a gun so they don't get an education for the next time.  But I have to applaud those folks that take coyotes with a bow.   :congrats:  You guys have way more patience that I do.  I don't like seeing them leave without me getting a shot off at 'em.  :madd:

Take a camera with you next time.  Pics are always good. :eyebrow:
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

DGF

I do need to buy a new one soon.  I would have liked to put him in the bow hunt contest.

Hawks Feather

Congrats on the coyote.  Hitting one with an arrow seems like it would be extremely challenging.  It is one thing to have a gun up and ready, but another to draw a bow without those eyes spotting movement.

Jerry

bowjunkie

way to go  :yoyo: Ive broken more than one arrow on a coyote  :innocentwhistle: it's dang hard to take one with a bow I been trying for a while with my recurve  :biggrin: one of these days :eyebrow:

ps they can jump a string better than any deer out there  :roflmao:

songdog

Ive never hunted coyotes with a bow, but i have shot a few with one.. I think that would be a good test of the coyotes instincts to call one in and shoot it.. off the ground.... Just another way of making a hard to hunt animal even harder... congrats on the coyote  :congrats:

keekee

Congrads dude! Coyotes are a bitch with a bow! Getting drew on 1 out of 10 is pretty good!

I have killed a few with a bow but there tough! Fun but tough!

I am going to try them with a cross bow this winter as well! We will see how it goes?

Brent

Flaming_Redneckery

Well, I guess I'm a "lady archer". I've got a Fred Bear Grizzly that I've only had for a few months. I was advised not to start out with a recurve, but I like them a lot better than compounds.
Red Slicker \ˈred*ˈsli-kər\: a city slicker partially enlightened by the ways of the redneck

DGF

There is nothing wrong with sarting out with a recuve. I have been shooting recuves and longbows for many, many years.

A big mistake that alot of people make when starting out with a recuvre is they start out over bowed. It is best to start with a bow that is about 35lbs and get your form  worked out first, then move up in weight a little at a time.

I hunt quite often with a 45lb recuve and have taken several deer at thirty yards. Most of my recurves and longbows are between 50-55 lbs

Good luck

Flaming_Redneckery

Heh. My Grizzly's got a 50-lb. draw. That's probably too heavy, huh?
Red Slicker \ˈred*ˈsli-kər\: a city slicker partially enlightened by the ways of the redneck

DGF

For most people the learning curve is shorter starting with a light weight recurve or longbow. They are less likey to pick up bad habits and will develope better form  faster then some one that startes out with a hunting weight bow.  A bow that is about a 30-35 draw weight is about the best place to start.
Your Grizzly is a good bow and I would deffinitly keep it, But try to find a cheap light weight bow to start with it will make switching to your Grizzly easier when you have your form mastered.

Smith

We call them while bow hunting elk, alot of fun!

Lucas
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...