• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Missouri turkey harvest numbers down this year...

Started by GC, June 06, 2007, 11:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GC

I knew it was a tough year this spring. The numbers are in and it is reported that this springs harvest was down 12% from last year. 45,000 gobblers were taken this spring. The normal average is around 52,000 - 54,000 gobblers per spring season. The record was set in 2004 with 60,744 gobblers.

Hunting accidents were down this year also. There were no fatalities and only two hunters injured statewide. The average has been around 5 - 6 hunters injured in the spring season in the years past.
"Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

studabaka

Is the limit there one bird per hunter? Do you view the lower numbers coupled with lower accidents indicative of fewer hunters and/or was the weather such that there were fewer good hunting days? ..... or is there a decline in the turkey population?
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

KySongDog

Kentucky's 2007 spring harvest was down 15.5% from 2006.  I suspect the weather had a lot to do with it.  It was pretty miserable early on in the season.

Semp

awh

Virgina doesn't have the numbers in yet but from the phone check n system they say it is already down 5.6% from last year. They are guessing for an 8% drop as of right now. But again, they still haven't ran all the numbers.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Greenside

GC,

Do you think the lack of the mandatory check stations has a bearing on the numbers. You would think there might be some complacency, especially on the turkeys?

RShaw

Dennis,  You might have a point , but I just havent seen the numbers the past couple of years. Mostly seeing mature toms with very few jakes.

I put part of the blame on possums and skunks. They are real hard on ground nesting birds around here. Years ago I would catch 60 to 70 possums and half that many skunks while dirt trapping. Incidentals. There were a few other trappers in my area that would catch several too. We put the hurt on them and it seemed the turkey population grew. The past few years, there are only two trappers left , including myself. I have switched to mostly water trapping and the possum and skunk catch has really dropped. It seems the turkey population has dropped as well. Could just be a cylce,but I find several nests that are broken up each spring.

Those dang problem possums.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

GC

We are allowed two spring gobblers in a three week season.  If you fall hunt you can take two of either sex in the fall.  Regarding the drop this season I think it was a combination of weather and a couple of years of poor hatches.  Poor hatches have been caused by weather also.  There are plenty of egg sucking varmints too.  Every year I see skunks, possums, black snakes, and in the last few years armidillos (sp?). 
"Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"