• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

He aint a bigun,,,,

Started by HaMeR, April 27, 2007, 03:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Dog

Nice bird.Better than I have done!!!Had two shot off my calling by other hunters,so haven't been out for two yrs :doh2:

HaMeR

"If it were easy then everybody would be doing it"

"Thats why it's called hunting & not shooting"

"If it's worth pulling the trigger on then it's worth putting a tag on"

Hunt hard,, shoot straight,, apologize to no one"

These were my thoughts this AM at 7:30.

If you're still awake you might find the story below interesting. :roflmao:

--------------------------------------------

This is the last weekend for turkeys here in Ohio. I have been stoked since Monday when I found out we would have this weekend off. It was hard to fall asleep last night too. So I guess that was why I got up late this AM & didn't get to the woods until 6AM!! :laf:  Legal shooting time was around 5:45AM. They were gobbling as I stepped out of the fresh planted corn field into the woods. I went straight to where I wanted to be & got set up. They were still gobbling at 6:40 when I decided to move on them. They would gobble at the crows but not at my calling. Go figure. :shrug: There were 2 jakes & a Tom from what I could tell & they were within 300yds of me. Problem was,, I had to go further back into the hollow,, down to the bottom,, cross the stream,, then climb 1/2 way back up the other side!! So off I went. I knew there was a flat across that side that ran the length of that hill & that was where they were. As I got back deeper into the hollow then started up the other side they gobbled!! Right in front of me!! Dang it anyhow. :holdon: So I headed across the hill side until I was out to where they were originally. I sat to catch my breath for a minute or 3 :whew: & when a crow flew over the gobbled again. Right in front of me again!!  And within 60yds.  :madd:I couldn't see em but they were there with a couple hens that were clucking & purring away. This would provide me with noise to cover my steps. :eyebrow: I sat there for a few minutes pondering my next move :wo: when I realized it had gotten eerily silent. Suddenly to my right & just below me I could hear a hen clucking & my heart just sank. :sad: They were able to flank me & I would never get a shot thru the tree tops from the logging that was done during the winter. :sad: I turned my head real slow to make sure it wasn't a Tom & promptly got busted. :doh2: She started down over the hill sounding the alarm putt so I figured with nothing to lose I should try to cover her with my own calling so I started clucking real fast & loud. This woke those Gobblers up again & now they were within 35yds with no visual!! :eyebrow: So I started crawling toward them & when I could see one white head I stopped until it disappeared. Then I belly crawled another 5 yds or so up to a fallen tree that was laying behind a larger tree. :eyebrow: I used that for cover so I could set up. I sat there & watched 2 jakes & the hen for almost 5 minutes with the gun up. Every time the biggest jake would come into a clear shooting lane the other would stick his head in there. Finally the gun was just getting too heavy & when the smaller jake cleared out,,,,,,,,,BOOM!!!!!!!!!

Did I scare you??   :roflmao:

A 16lb Jake with a 6" beard & 1/2" spurs. The pictures suck but he's sure gonna taste good!!

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

studabaka

:congrats: :biggrin: :highclap: :biggrin: :yoyo:

Very cool. Congrats on an excellent finish to the season!! Great story..... the gun shot is still ringing in my ears  :eyebrow:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

HaMeR

Mine too!! :roflmao:

Thanks Stu!!

BTW-- They were still gobbling at 8:15 when I grabbed the door handle on the truck to come home. :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

HaMeR

:biggrin:  Thanks VV!!  I like spring turkey hunting more every year.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11