• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

6mm powder test. Intentional speed reduction.

Started by Coyotes-R-Us, February 24, 2019, 04:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyotes-R-Us

6mm rem, 55 gr Ballistic tips, 26" barrel
Well We tried some "Slower" loads, same bullet different powder
"Big game"book speed around 3900 fps, to cold to mess with the Magnospeed.
No wind , for Mt, and -14* , 200 yards, prone in the snow.
First target is test with normal 4200 fps load .

Second is with the slower "Big game" powder.

Then there is a silly rabbit that came to a shooting range.

about 30 yards to the right ,right at the same range.
old is the new young

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I could live with that at 200 yards prone at -14 degrees.  In face it is FAR better than my target would be because my butt would be inside.

Okanagan

Love the rabbit!  Actually, that rabbit is in pretty good shape considering.  :eyebrow:

The most disarticulated critter I've ever seen was a snowshoe hare shot at 12 yard range with my 6mm Rem.  I shot him with a Hornady 75 grain hollow point that has a HUGE opening up front, probably a 20 caliber hole in the hollow point.  Pieces of rabbit were hanging in the trees around a 30 foot long red oval in the snow, with the rabbit's heart in the middle, unattached to anything.  The largest piece was a string of fur that connected one hind foot to his ears.

Love my 6mm.  It is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.  Mine is a Mauser action with a Douglas 26" heavy varmint barrel, Dayton Traister trigger and a gorgeously figured Roberts stock with a palm swell that fits my hand.  It is a shame where we have dragged that beautiful rifle in snow, rain and mud.  My younger son likes it so well that he carries it on backpack hunts above timberline sometimes even though it is heavy.   

I did my experimenting with hand loads and that rifle an amazing-to-me 30 years ago.  There are a lot more bullet options nowadays.  You are having fun with yours!