• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Pushing a hook on through

Started by Okanagan, July 01, 2018, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

While fishing for shad recently with my BIL, he got a hook way past the barb in the pad of his index finger.  He was taking the hook out of the fish when it flopped just right to set the hook deep in his finger.  The hook had passed through the cheek of the fish so that it was hanging on the line, jerking the hook every time it flopped, and they are an active fish that flop wildly.

At first I did not realize what the agitated dance was about as BIL slammed the fish on the deck and was trying to grab it to stop it from jerking the hook every time it moved.  Then I stuck my rod in the holder and managed to grip the super slick fish with fingers of both hands in its mouth, a more tenuous grip than I preferred.  BIL said, “I have to push it on through.”  Then he said, “OW!  That REALLY hurts!” as he quickly pushed the hook on through past the barb.  He reached into a front pocket on his fishing/life vest, pulled out a medium sized pair of front clip nippers, cut off the hook behind the barb and reversed the hook out. 

I would not have been as cool or quick nor did I have nippers.  He said that this is the second time it has happened to him in his life and he keeps the nippers handy when fishing.  It was sore the next day but did not even get infected. 

No pics as we were kind of busy while it was happening.

nastygunz

I have a friend who hooked him self in the back of the head with a jitterbug while night fishing for bass, that was an emergency road trip ha ha.

Hawks Feather

Doesn't sound like fun to me.  I think I will try to pass on this one.

Jerry

centerfire_223

Been there and done that myself, sadly to say a couple of times. Here is a video of KVD getting a hook out of his hand.

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Nope...I been lucky enough to have never gone through that :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com