• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Fur Corner

Started by studabaka, January 14, 2008, 05:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

studabaka

Been spending a fair amount here, so thought I would post a pick  :yoyo:

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Hawks Feather

Newbie here.  Is that a sander that you use to thin hides on the bench?  If not, could you tell me what it is.  I can see the motor, just not real sure what the top is.  The  hides look pretty good.  How many belong to that Stu guy?

Jerry

FinsnFur

A   :hahaha: sander  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

:nono: Not a sander, but that's a logical thought. I think the big fur houses do use some kinda sander to finish hides. I've never seen one, but there are times I wish I had one .

What you see is called a fleshing machine or wheel knife. It's used to flesh and/or thin hides prior to tanning. It has a blade like a circular saw, but with no teeth. The outside edge has a lip on it that is razor sharp on the side. You pull the hide across it.

All the hides in the pic are mine [at the moment] though a few are spoken for. My freezer is about full and the pile of salt dried is becoming unrulely, so I've been trying to get a few done..... though the bear will have to wait till after LBL. They are salt dried at the moment, but I'm thinking they will be really cool when done.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

keekee

Nice shop Stu! and sounds like you got allot of work in front of you!

Brent

FinsnFur

You do that stuff in the house?    :shck: :holdon:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

studabaka

Well, it's not exactly 'in the house'   :readthis:

I have been working on enclosing the porch as the house is only about 800 sqft with a mud room set off the side. I don't have a good shop at this point for heat, elec, and water. The barn just doesn't quite cut it in the winter  :shrug: Plus it's just me so  :thumb2:

FinsnFur

Hey that works for me :yoyo:
When I got divorced in 97 I considered moving some of my equipment into one of the bedrooms :laf:
I was still only a couple years into it so I didnt foresee the entire future of the business.

Glad I didn't...today my 20x32 shop with water, sewer and power isnt big enough any more.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

vvarmitr

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 15, 2008, 10:31:43 AMWhen I got divorced in 97
You too huh?  :huh:
That was the best thing that happened to me that year.  ;yes;
Man did I get pulled through the knothole that year. :whew:

vvarmitr

BTW Stu I didn't see any Bobcat hides being worked on.  :innocentwhistle:

:laf:

studabaka

:eyebrow: It just got pulled out of the pickle this morning for a bit of finish work. Should hit the tan this weekend I reckon  :biggrin:

vvarmitr

:shck: WOW! COOL!!

I'm just picking at ya, there's no rush.  Make sure you take care of your paying customer first.  :innocentwhistle:
:laf: