• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ferrel Hogs ?

Started by securpro, November 02, 2007, 11:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

securpro

I know that there are supposedly ferrel hogs in LBL (even though I've never seen one) and if I see one I am supposed to report it to the rangers, but can I shoot it? Does anyone know?
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

KySongDog

If you are legally deer hunting, you can shoot a hog with what ever is legal for deer hunting at the time.

As far as the February coyote season goes, the regs don't say specifically that you can shoot a hog. You are supposed to report the sighting to the rangers. 

Semp

Jimmie in Ky

It dpesn't look like the last hog made it either. No positive sightings in a couple of years now. The coyote population was at it's highest peak ever that winter. They ate a lot of the deer and five hogs were down to one by that january.

Should you happen to spot one write down your location at that time as close as you possibly can.  Road number and creek drainage if it is named or the closest named creek to it. Lake bay as well. That way they have a half a chance of locating it.

They would prefer that you not shoot them. They wish to run test on them to see what diseases they may carry. It was rumoured these hogs came from Alabama.  And no , they haven't got the goods on the two jackasses that dumped them yet. Jimmie

securpro

I was wondering where the hogs came from in the first place now I know , Thanks Jimmy! How many were droped off?
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Jimmie in Ky

They started seeing five that august. Rangers didn't kill any that I know of. They really didn't want anybody to know about what they were doing up until they couldn't find any sign after december. I was finally told they needed some help locating them th 3rd week of february. I did find the old sign where the hog had fed near the last sighting but nothing else.

It took them from august to december to work their way from davenport bay to the trace where th last one was seen. They crossed the territories of at least four groups that I know of in that area. All of these groups were pack hunting that winter. One group is headed up by a big silverbacked male that I have actually seen at least twice, saw him again last winter. I sincerely do not believe they survived.

Due to the poor mast crop in this part of the state we will likely see them pack hunting again this year. Makes for some real fun when they come in. Jimmie

fuzz624

I have often wondered how hogs survive in coyote country.Some how they do though.Up here in eastern ohio the hog population is expanding along with the coyote population.And on top of it all we have an open season on both of them.I would say that a small pig would make a coyote a mighty fine meal but an adult hog could probally put a hurting on a pair of coyotes.

CCP

QuoteIt was rumoured these hogs came from Alabama.  And no , they haven't got the goods on the two jackasses that dumped them yet. Jimmie

I hope they catch this two Jackasses also.

I am tired of them KY and TN boys coming down to AL and stealing our hogs.  :biggrin:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

songdog

Ferrel hogs are supposably over there at lbl, and if one just happens to come by me while i am yote hunting..... well..... report it to the rangers??  :rolleye:  i didnt see none :shrug:...   I just dont understand how they could want them exterminated and not let anyone but deer hunters shoot them.. I for one dont even know where they are over there, and i am there a lot... soooo all i can say is that i have no sight confirmation on the ferell hogs....but they are supposably there.. and i guess ya better not shoot one... :eyebrow: