• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Squirrel Weapons

Started by vvarmitr, September 06, 2007, 11:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armyturner

I have used about every caliber of scattergun and .22 (short, LR, and mag). When the leaves are on and a .22 is not feesable, I find a single shot 410 makes things interesting. Any other time a 22LR or 22 Mag is what I use.

Buckrun

I think squirrel meat is the best wild game meat I have eaten so far. I have used my bow, .22 handgun, .22 rifle and my .17 HMR. The HMR is a little to loud so I'd like to get the .17 Mach 2. I have also tried my TC. Hawkin with the .32 barrel but I just can't get it to shoot for me. :madd: I did take one with the .50 barrel.

Steve

Hawks Feather

Hopefully you barked the one with the .50 or at least head shot it.  If not  :rolleye:.  But then again if you took the .50 and the squirrel was going away from you it was pretty well gutted when it hit the ground.   :wink:

Jerry

Buckrun

.50" hole in the base of the neck. No meat lost. TASTY :congrats:

Here I am with my homemade glass laminated longbow, arrows and back quiver.

Steve

wilded

you guys need to try the Hornady 17Mach2  It is the best squirrel round I have ever shot.  Very little noise and super accurate.  :yoyo:
Make time for the important things in life
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/

Ladobe

Quote from: wilded on January 12, 2008, 05:02:57 PM
you guys need to try the Hornady 17Mach2  It is the best squirrel round I have ever shot.  Very little noise and super accurate.  :yoyo:

Have 3 of them, and 3 17HMR's for when the ranges get longer.    They do work well for squirrels, but it's still more fun and challenging with the small bore smokepoles.
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Frogman

Ruger 10-22 or Winchester 94-22 both with four power scopes.  I have tried the Smith Model 41 on occasion.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

nastygunz

in NH hardly anyone hunts squirrels, i do, grays and reds, i use a 410 o/u sometimes but generally like hunting them with a handgun, i use a s&w sixgun and have a ruger charger .22, really enjoy chasin the grays on a good fall day in the oak ridges, or along the conn. river. Also like geting after them on the ground with my long bow using judo or blunt tips.

Before:

and after :)

LORDDAL

a sears and robuck ranger 22 cal with flip up buckhorn sights for myself and my soon to be 5 year old is awaiting his ruger 22 cal air rifle with 3x9 scope for his first big squirrel outing this coming fall
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

alscalls

Beeman R-9 .177 and .20 cal or my Savage 17 hmr But I would love to trade for a clip fed pneumatic air rifle.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

msmith

A Marlin 39, Ruger 10/22, or the 870. I had a phase that I used a .36 cal flintlock for a while.

Mike
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

Bopeye

Quote from: msmith on April 14, 2008, 12:06:54 PM
I had a phase that I used a .36 cal flintlock for a while.

Mike

That sounds like it would have been a lot of fun.  :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

paint

A Henry lever action 22LR or golden boy 22mag

vvarmitr

Quote from: paint on April 15, 2008, 01:14:59 PM
A Henry lever action 22LR or golden boy 22mag
Sweet! :eyebrow:
Got any pix?  :biggrin:

paint

If I can remember how I'll try to get some up tomorrow :confused:

paint

vvarmitr, I finally got to some high speed internet and rembered how to do this, so here they are.

msmith

Quote from: Bopeye on April 14, 2008, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: msmith on April 14, 2008, 12:06:54 PM
I had a phase that I used a .36 cal flintlock for a while.

Mike

That sounds like it would have been a lot of fun.  :biggrin:

It was, but my loads were a little hot. Grays were head shot only and the heads were removed, otherwise you just had a mess. Fox squirrels you could rib shoot. Now I can't see the sights well enough to hit a buffalo let alone a squak.
Mike

Aut Vinceri Aut Mori

alscalls

That is why I like air rifles, you can shoot, miss and shoot again without spooking them real bad. :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Bopeye

I use a pellet gun myself Al. Especially when you are hunting 'em in your neighborhood......... :huh: :whew: :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

vvarmitr

Quote from: paint on April 21, 2008, 01:19:02 PM
vvarmitr, I finally got to some high speed internet and rembered how to do this, so here they are.

Paint: I do gotta get me one of dose. Maybe even two? I'm sure da wiff stills a wanten one.   :biggrin: