• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My fall turkey season......so far.

Started by coyote101, December 07, 2020, 08:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I haven't hunted a lot this fall, but I have been out after turkeys a few times. I got one back in October, and another this morning. We can take four during the fall season, but only two may be taken with firearms, so I'll have to break out the crossbow. I still have a few weeks to get a couple more.

The October early gun season with the Encore 12 gauge:

The December late gun season with the Encore .410:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Congrats on the bird.  I do have a question. Is it legal to use an air gun for them?

coyote101

Quote from: Hawks Feather on December 07, 2020, 10:09:31 PM
Is it legal to use an air gun for them?

No sir, but air guns may be used for hunting deer, fur bearers, and small game. There are caliber restrictions.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

That encore 410 is a beauty.  How long is that barrel? Could you tell me about the sights you have on it? And is it an external choke tube?  I have a Thompson contender with a .410 super 14 barrel  :yoyo:

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on December 08, 2020, 08:42:32 AM
That encore 410 is a beauty. 

Thanks

How long is that barrel?

The factory part of the barrel is 15 inches, the choke adds another inch and a quarter, or so.

Could you tell me about the sights you have on it?

They are HI VIZ C-series turkey/deer shotgun sights. They clamp and snap on to the vent rib and are a huge improvement over the pitiful factory sights. Honestly, the rear sight isn't necessary, just adding the front sight is all that is needed.

And is it an external choke tube?

Yes it is. I sent the barrel to a gunsmith in Tennessee, who does a lot of work on Encores and Contenders. He removed the helical rifling to prevent the shot from spinning, and cut in straight rifling to keep it legal as a handgun. He also made the extended choke. 
With the factory rifling and choke, shooting lead shot, this was a ten or twelve yard gun. With straight rifling and custom choke, shooting TSS, it is easily a thirty yard killer.  :biggrin:

I have a Thompson contender with a .410 super 14 barrel  :yoyo:

Get in touch with J.R. Shultz at Shultz Precision Rifles if you are interested in having the barrel worked on. I think you would be happy with the results.

Pat
NRA Life Member

JohnP

Congratulations Pat.  Is that the new "blind" you built?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

nastygunz

Thanks  For the information! Do you mind if I ask how long ago you had Mr. Schultz do that work? I tried contacting him numerous times a year or two ago and could never get a response back from him.  I wanted to do the same thing that you did have straight rifling and an external choke.

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on December 08, 2020, 01:41:47 PM
Thanks  For the information! Do you mind if I ask how long ago you had Mr. Schultz do that work? I tried contacting him numerous times a year or two ago and could never get a response back from him.  I wanted to do the same thing that you did have straight rifling and an external choke.

Hard to believe, but it's been four years. I sent him a message earlier today on Facebook messenger. I'll let you know if he responds.

Pat
NRA Life Member

coyote101

Quote from: JohnP on December 08, 2020, 11:01:09 AM
Congratulations Pat.  Is that the new "blind" you built?

Yes it is, John. I've taken several turkeys out of it since I built it.

Here it is with yesterday's little hen. I'll be back in it with a friend in the morning:

Pat
NRA Life Member

FinsnFur

There he is! :bowingsmilie:
Welcome back Pat. ...said the last turkey :eyebrow: :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

That blind is a lot nicer than the cabin I grew up in  :biggrin:

Okanagan

Return of the Turkeynator

Hey Pat, am restocking my survival kits (in packs, vehicles) after a Fall of use and in prep for winter hunting and the plastic box one you sent me reminds me of you.  Thank you again!

coyote101

Quote from: Okanagan on December 09, 2020, 10:14:38 AM
Return of the Turkeynator

Hey Pat, am restocking my survival kits (in packs, vehicles) after a Fall of use and in prep for winter hunting and the plastic box one you sent me reminds me of you.  Thank you again!

You're welcome, sir.

Pat
NRA Life Member

nastygunz

Well by crikey I called Mr. Schultz today about the Thompson Contender work and spoke to him, awful nice fella! He said he would do the work but has been swamped building precision rifles. He asked me to give him a call back in  month or two. His quoted price was really good I thought, and I am definiteley going to get the work done!

nastygunz

And....NH  is in the process of making it legal to turkey hunt with a .410 now! The only stipulation is you have to use TSS or heavier than lead shot.  I contacted the Colonel down at Fish and game headquarters today and he told me that it would be legal for me to use my Thompson Contender handgun!  I have been wanting to take a turkey with it for years.

Okanagan

Handgun in .410 for turkey!  That sounds like fun, forces you to hunt a little better to get a shot.  Best of luck whenever turkey season comes around.

The very last afternoon that I hunted in Canada, grandson Code and I ran across a fellow hunting grouse with a lever action .410 that looked really sweeeet.  Nice young man who had hunted with it for one season and loved it.  I think it was a Henry.  There aren't enough grouse here to make it worth my while to buy one like it, because it would either sit in the closet or merely ride around unused, like my .22 for grouse does now.  Oh to have that gun and a half day in a good grouse year in the Dease Lake country!

nastygunz

Right across the river in Vermont where our camp is you can turkey hunt with a .410 shotgun but not a .410 handgun .  They sure have some crazy ass hunting rules that's for sure.

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on March 16, 2021, 02:36:05 PM
Well by crikey I called Mr. Schultz today about the Thompson Contender work and spoke to him, awful nice fella! He said he would do the work but has been swamped building precision rifles. He asked me to give him a call back in  month or two. His quoted price was really good I thought, and I am definiteley going to get the work done!

It's good to hear that you finally got a hold of him. I think you will be pleased with his work, and have a lot of fun with your Contender. TSS has been a game changer for the. 410, but it's expensive, and hard to find right now.

Pat
NRA Life Member