• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Gourdfest

Started by Jimmie in Ky, September 19, 2010, 12:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmie in Ky

I spent saturday exibiting my craft for the local art guild at the gourd festival. Renewed aquaintance with a kid from Little league as well. He has taken up the art of blacksmithing, which tickles me to death. To see one of hte next generation interested in the old arts , welll it's just fantastic.

My little contribution to the day

Some of the other exibits

Tikaani

Thanks for sharing Jim.  It is good to see your son taking up and keeping an old skill alive like that.  Now I see why you are interested in Diamond Willow.  I promised you I would look for some, will start looking now that moose season is over.

John

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Jimmie in Ky

Johnathon is not my son Tik. Although he did spend some time hanging around chasing my daughter. He's a good kid and has done very well for himself. He blames me and his grandfather for his addiction to the old ways. Band playing was way to loud , couldn't hear ourselves think much less speak to all those asking us questions about what we do.

Wind got right and he added some fresh coal to his fire. Band took a break for a while. The little smirk on his face reminded me a good deal of his grandfather.  :eyebrownod: Jimmie

Bills Custom Calls

Looks like a nice display Jimmie

Isn't great when you get the blame for those kinda things
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

pitw

Imagine my surprise when I saw you were at a Gourdfest  :readthis:..  You actually looked not out of place there either :biggrin:.  Thanks for posting and was that straycat hanging in the 7th pic there :confused:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Jimmie in Ky

Reminded me more of Jim before he got his hair cut  :eyebrownod: But then you haven't been around that long .

I wasn't going to do it this year. But Dana talked me into helping promote the Art guild and what it does for the comunity. In talking with folks I learned just how little they knew about what is going on in thier hometown. Our wood carvers group meets to show off our work and help each other with new ideas and how to do it. There are also classes in painting, basket weaving, cloth and rug weaving,quilting, drawing and kids projects. We don't get enough publicity or help from town council with it. The gift shop is loaded with artwork and crafts from local people.

This is our one chance each year to shine and promote the art guild . I think the girls did a great job this year.

Tik, i have an older genlteman who shows up each year with one of his diamond willow sticks. He's always trying to sell me one or two at some of those ungodly prices I mentioned. His are unfinished and rough. Jimmie

Bopeye

Seventh picture down with the glasses is a dead on ringer for my Mother-in-law. Do you mind if I copy/paste it and send it to her?
She'll hate me all the more. She's been so hard to get along with ever since that house fell on her sister.  :innocentwhistle:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

alscalls

Way Cool!!!  And nice work Jimmie!!   :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on September 19, 2010, 04:02:45 PM

Reminded me more of Jim before he got his hair cut  :eyebrownod: But then you haven't been around that long .

No no...I'm the one on the other side. Yeah the one standing there with the big nuts, I mean gourds.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jimmie in Ky

Bop , You are more than welcome to it in hte name of good family relations  :innocentwhistle: Jimmie

coyote101

Quote from: Bopeye on September 19, 2010, 04:07:02 PM
Seventh picture down with the glasses is a dead on ringer for my Mother-in-law. Do you mind if I copy/paste it and send it to her?
She'll hate me all the more. She's been so hard to get along with ever since that house fell on her sister.  :innocentwhistle:

That is some funny stuff James. I laughed till I had tears in my eyes over that. I hope she enjoys the picture.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

KySongDog

Nice display, Jimmie.   That second picture reminds me of the old trees in Lord of the Rings

Bopeye

Quote from: coyote101 on September 20, 2010, 01:17:15 PM
Quote from: Bopeye on September 19, 2010, 04:07:02 PM

That is some funny stuff James. I laughed till I had tears in my eyes over that. I hope she enjoys the picture.

Pat
She enjoyed it okay I reckon, but she does have quite the extensive vocabulary.  :wink: :eyebrownod:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Jimmie in Ky

Semp, I think the old tales of wood spirits is where Tolkien got the idea for those characters in hte novels. Legends have it that to see a wood spirit will bring good fortune. In England they are called Green men and carved diferently.

Johnathon made me a crooked knife blade out of 1084 stock he had as part of his demonstration. I got the handle on her yesterday afternoon.

alscalls

Does he sell these things?  and does he have a web site?  I just love this kinda stuff! 
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

Well he puts this on his bussiness card
brokenanvilforge@gmail.com

No web addy I could find other than hte email. And He does have an anvil busted by Yankees on their way south through the state. He does ornamental and traditional iron work. He even had a chain mail shirt he made .

I drew what I wanted on a sheet of paper . he didn't quite get the bend where it attaches to the handle right but a darn good piece of steel . I forgot to tell him to punch the screw hole. I broke 3 drill bits boring that hole.Jimmie

FinsnFur

He's got an anvil busted by Yankees on their way south through the state?
Explain that to me. :confused: I mean were pretty tough bastids, but an anvil. Did one of us chew on it...or?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cathryn

really nice pics.

i love fall festivals.

i was wopndering, my duaghter and i raised some birdhouse gourds this summer. do any of you know how to go about curing them to make the birdhouses?

Carolina Coyote

Cathryn, I don't know a lot about curing the Gourds but I planted some in my garden one time and the vines covered the whole garden so give them plenty of room when planting them, also a friend of mine that grew them and made Birdhouses told me when cutting the hole in them and cleaning them out that you need to wear a mask as the dust from the Gourd if breathed could make you sick. Just a word of caution. cc

iahntr

Just saw this one too. Pretty cool Jimmie, Thanks for sharin.
Scott