• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Gourdfest

Started by Jimmie in Ky, September 19, 2010, 12:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmie in Ky

Catherine , most just wait on frost to kill the vine before harvest. But I also drill a tiny hole at the base of the stem to let moisture out a bit quicker.I quit losing any to rot after I started drilling that hole. And store them in a dry dark area for the winter. In spring before last frost cut your hole for entry and remove all the seeds you can scrape out with a spoon or rounded paint stirring stick. Sand the outside and paint as you desire. Drill 1/8 holes near the top of the gourd for a wire to run through for your hanger.

Another method sometimes used is to dip the green gourd in scalding water like you do for plucking chickens. This supposedly makes it easy to remove the outer skin and allows the gourd to dry faster. I haven't tried this method myself yet.

Jim. Them damned yankees built big fires in any town thought to be of southern sympathy. Railroad iron and all went into them to be destroyed. Anvils were dropped in cold water after the firing to destroy the temper ,to make them briittle and easily broken.The horns were typically what were broken off.  No anvil , no horse shoes for calvary mounts or teams used for hauling goods to soldiers. You've seen an example of this in hte movie Horse Soldiers with John Wayne. Jimmie

FinsnFur

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on September 27, 2010, 02:19:07 AM

Jim. Them damned yankees built big fires in any town thought to be of southern sympathy. Railroad iron and all went into them to be destroyed. Anvils were dropped in cold water after the firing to destroy the temper ,to make them briittle and easily broken.The horns were typically what were broken off.  No anvil , no horse shoes for calvary mounts or teams used for hauling goods to soldiers. You've seen an example of this in hte movie Horse Soldiers with John Wayne. Jimmie

Nope, I didnt know that. I'm not as old as you :laf:
But it is very interesting.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jimmie in Ky

We actually have houses built on a battlement in town from that period. A few miles to the west is Columbus Belmont State Park where they stretched that big chain across the river and held it with anchors on both sides. A section of chain and the anchor remains on the bluff above the river. I don't think they have all the trenches opened up yet for tourist to walk.

There are tons of little known facts that are not in hte history books we see in school. It seems the most important thing is to know it happened, not the why or how. It seems to me that the more our children would learn about the why and how would teach them more about not making the mistakes we make or our fore fathers made. Jimmie

Bopeye

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on September 29, 2010, 03:42:25 PM
There are tons of little known facts that are not in hte history books we see in school. It seems the most important thing is to know it happened, not the why or how. It seems to me that the more our children would learn about the why and how would teach them more about not making the mistakes we make or our fore fathers made. Jimmie

That's what Glenn Beck has been teaching on Fox for awhile now. I knew you were a closet Beck fan Jimmie.  :yoyo:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Jimmie in Ky

Who the L is a Glen Beck  :confused: Nah , just noticing what the liberal idiots teach our kids in school. Not to mention hte lack of knowledge the general public has on various things in our history. Like the French and indian wars were the beginning of our dislike for the British way of doing things. That is what got folks to thinking about our own government. Jimmie