• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

1900 Baldwin

Started by FinsnFur, May 05, 2013, 09:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Did you know what it was before you clicked on it?
Found this beaut on my road trip North, this weekend.

The 440 locomotive is a 2-8-0 Baldwin constructed in 1900 and is a close relative of the Chicago and Northwestern 175, the last steam engine to travel through Antigo in 1957. The Society, tried, but was unsuccessful in purchasing that locomotive.

Union Pacific 440 was a compound locomotive that used steam twice. Steam was first admitted into smaller high-pressure cylinders. It was then exhausted into larger low-pressure cylinders. The benefit of increased fuel efficiency was offset by the several disadvantages and more practical methods of increasing efficiency were soon developed.

No. 1660 was renumbered 440 in 1915 after modification. She was used on the Union Pacific's various lines in Kansas and Nebraska. In 1955 the 440 was retired and donated to the Nebraska State Fair Association and displayed in Lincoln, Nebraska. When the fairgrounds were converted into a university coliseum, the 440 was saved by the Cornhusker Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society and donated to Mid-Continent Railway Museum in North Freedom, Wisconsin.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

I didn't know, thought you were talking about a piano.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Okanagan

She's a beauty!  I didn't have a clue till I clicked to see what it was.

Hawks Feather

Yep, she is a beauty.  That old train isn't bad either.

Jerry

FinsnFur

:laf: :doh2:
That would go STRAIGHT to her head! She flexed in front of the mirror at the hotel Saturday morning like she was auditioning for some body mag...until she seen me discreetly going for my camera. :innocentwhistle:
Then it ended real quick.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com