• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

A few canines

Started by snafu, December 19, 2015, 08:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

snafu

This pr were cleaning out a den hole(late December) when I seen them. Shortly there after they stopped to give me the eye. They are near 1/2 mile away.

snafu

snafu

snafu

snafu

snafu

snafu

snafu

Coyote tucked into a fence line drift. 1/2 mile away.

snafu

X-tra large coyote out near the 1/2 mile marker.

snafu

snafu

snafu

One reason for the down fall of the Reds. Is they tend to dismiss some ambient noises. Coyotes rarely do.

Okanagan

Great pics! 

Wish we could legally hunt fox here in BC.  Only trappers can take them.  I phoned the Game Dept. about it and got a woman who was astounded that I thought that I could call them!   As I told her about foxes I've called she cautiously believed me but it was all new to her.  Till then she didn't think that foxes could be called and that trapping was the only legal option because there was no other way to hunt them.  I need to keep lobbying them. Saw two reds in northern BC this Fall and a few grey cross foxes.  First red I have seen in 8 years or  more. 

snafu

Back in the early-mid 60's. There was a bounty on the Reds. $1.50 for a set of ears. Soon the fur market kicked in & everyone & their brother pert near wiped them out. I haven't shot one in 25yrs or so. Beside their not much challenge. Having watched many litters grow up. As I would watch them. I've tried various sounds to see what perked their interest & which they tended to ignore.. Very high pitched is what they liked that peaked their interest.

I've stalked (hundreds) in my day. Sometimes making noise on loud snow cover on the way in. Many remained asleep/balled up, regardless. Not good when a hunter has a bead on them. No self respecting coyote would do such a thing. The Reds, the coyotes ignorant cousin.

pitw

Great pics.  Fox aren't numerous here like coyotes but I see enough.  Only ones I target are the ones close to me turkeys. There ain't nothing got fleas like a fox. :puke:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Awesome shots! :congrats:
Number #7 there looks like hes ready for market :innocentwhistle: :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

I have yet to see one dead from starvation.

snafu

This litter their mother was killed on a nearby highway. When the kits were 5wks old. The male took over her duties of rearing their pups. Otherwise the female does all of the teaching. Even when her kits are young & still in the den. She will go on short hunts. Otherwise the male will bring his kills to the den entrance hole & drop them off. I have yet to see a kill dropped off at an exit hole. Always the entrance hole. I find that interesting. I've found repeatedly female Red kits are most curious & brazen. More so than their male litter mates.

When the kits are around 5+wks old. The female late in the evening. Will take a few kits from her litter out hunting/exploring/learning.