• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Show Me Your Home Painted Guns...

Started by bootmud, July 31, 2008, 09:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bootmud

I think I'm ready to take the leap and give my A-Bolt .204 a custom paint job.  Any tips on preparing the wood stock and the mat finish barrel for a coat of paint.

I have some Rustoleum spray paint that is actual "Camo" paint.   Will this work?

I have some ideas for a paint scheme but I'd love to get some other ideas....   Anybody?????

Thanks,   bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

FinsnFur

This WUZ my stainless MII 22-250 that I camoe'd a while back. the stock was the synthetic black.

I took the gun completely apart, and prayed it all down with brake cleaner an let it dry.
Then put it all back together.
Gave it a good base coat, which in this case was a drab flat tan.
Then, I made my own stencils and started working my way around the rifle with 3 different shades of the flat camo paint.

It turned out great, had no chipping or peeling for ...I'm thinking two years.. :shrug: before I took the stock off and replaced it with a Boyd's thumbhole

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

tipmover

338 Edge. Olive Duracoat with black and tan digital camo.

300 Weatherby. Olive Duracoat with black webbing.

nastygunz

Will paint stick to the synthetic stocks or is there something you need to do to make it stick?

Silencer

I always prime first. 

QuoteRustoleum spray paint that is actual "Camo" paint.   Will this work

Started using that on the duck guns last year, by the end of the season they needed a touch up but overall the paint wasnt bad at all.  My sons was worse off than mine but he's also tougher on equiptment.

The top 2 870's were painted up with the Rustoleum Camo, I about crapped my britches when I seen that at our local hardware store.

nastygunz

not to flaunt my paint dumbness...but i will........does the primer just stick on synthetic stocks, i ike those paint jobs n might think about one on my new marlin xl70 which is black synthetic stock-ed.

HaMeR

nastygunz-- As I understand those stocks they need to be scracthed up good with some 120grit then wiped down with mineral spirits. Then a good quality primer is required. On top of the primer you can use anything you want. But things need to be roughed for the primer to grab on & cleaned very good. Lay the primer on in thin coats too.

BTW--  I have never painted one before but on the websites I visit I've seen a bunch & this seems to be the popular way of doing them. HTH
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

George Ackley

boot , I don't think you need to sand anything ,, I never have , clean it spray it , this way it will come right off when you get tiered of it ... I have painted   couple and took it right off with a can a graffiti remover,,
like new again

before

AFTER I TOOK IT OFF

here are acouple my AR'S

Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

George Ackley

THAT PAINT YOU HAVE IS WHAT I USE !! DONT SAND ANYTHING :doh2]
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

FinsnFur

I never sanded mine. Like i said I doused it with brake cleaner which completely degreased everything and left the stock sorta etched.... had a white look to it.

After that I base coated it with my drab tan.

The only paint I had come off, was on the recoil pad, since it was rubber.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

bushmaster

"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

FinsnFur

:roflmao: :roflmao: Does your wife know your standing on the bed? :innocentwhistle: :laf: :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FOsteology

Damn..... you could have at least taken off your boots!   :roflmao:

Silencer

you like that supernova ?   how she shoot ?  thinkin that may be one of the kids next shotguns, or mine perhaps  :sneer:

bushmaster

Quote from: Silencer on September 22, 2008, 06:44:29 PM
you like that supernova ?   how she shoot ?  thinkin that may be one of the kids next shotguns, or mine perhaps  :sneer:
This isn't the supernova, its a pump action.  i love it, after buying the carlsons dead coyote choke for it; it holds excellent patterns at 50yds.  doesn't weigh too much either.

my old lady doesn't mind seeing as i work for a matress company, i get em for free.

vvarmitr

Quote from: bushmaster on September 22, 2008, 07:56:07 PM
my old lady doesn't mind seeing as i work for a matress company, i get em for free.
Bushy: If you get free mattresses why are you sleeping on the davenport?  :confused:      :laf:
BTW I like the paint job on your shotgun. How did you do that?

bushmaster

I used krylon ultra-flat (olive, brown, and kacky) I Made branch and leaf stencils with construction paper; layered the patterns; then faded the parts that seemed too bright.  It took about an hour and i'm proud of it.  Never had the balls to try it before.  But after seeing all of the jobs done by other FNFers, i figured "what the heck".  Thanx for the feed back

PS thats just a pillow top that i put in the bak of my jeep  :eyebrow:

FOsteology

Well, admittedly these paint jobs weren't done by me.... nor in my home.... but home painted none the less!  :laf:

FinsnFur

Nice stuff Fo~
I wondered what took ya so long to post  :laf: :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Rick223

Hi guys I crawled out of my cave today :biggrin:
Heres one I did I cleaned this with brake cleaner like Jim did its a kevlar stock never had it any paint come off yet.
Im currently workin on a something new  :eyebrow: witch Im going to use duracoat ( http://www.houtsenterprises.net/ )  this paint is a little more permanent as it requires a hardener and an airbrush or autobody spray gun.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle