• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First one of the season for me

Started by BigB, November 04, 2007, 07:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigB

Got a chance to get out last weekend with my brother.  We made a few stands Saturday morning with no takers.  The family was going to the Pheasants Forever banquet that evening, so my brother and I decided to slip out and make a quick stand late afternoon about 2 hours before the banquet.  We sat up in this pasture that is always a good one for us, and I opened up the set with 3 long howls from my Cronk buffalo horn howler.  About 15 seconds later, a coyote magically appears out of thin air.  The grass in this pasture was pretty tall for this time of year and the leaves that are still on the trees make it pretty hard to see them coming in.  I could only see it's head and the hair on the top of its back.  The green circle is where I first noticed it.  I didn't wait too much longer after seeing it till I pulled the trigger.  I heard the bang POP, and as my grandpa used to say, it was "Good night Irene!"  She was about 50 paces out.

It was a young female.

This stand is only about a 1/4 mile from my parents house.  At about an hour before sunrise on Sunday morning the next day, I heard another coyote howling from the same location where I shot this one the day before.  Once I heard the howls, I got ready and headed back to the same location.  I set up at first light, and howled and did some bunny distress for about 20 minutes, but there were no takers. :shrug:

Thanks for reading.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

Hawks Feather

How did you know the coyote's name was Irene?   :wink:  That has to make you feel good.

Jerry

BigB

Jerry,

It made me feel good to get the first one under my belt for this season.  But it made my brother pretty mad.  I shot it before he had a chance to see it. :roflmao: :laf:  I had to do that so he didn't sniper it out from under me. :eyebrow:  I'll maybe let him shoot the next one. :laf:

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

CCP

Good story and pic's :yoyo: :yoyo:

Is that a Ruger rifle? and if so what caliber you a shootin?
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Nelson

KySongDog

Nice pics and story, BigB!   :congrats:

That "Good night Irene" comment brought back good memories.  My dad used to say that.   :laf:

Semp

FinsnFur

Awesome. First one of the season, is kinda like an ice breaker-good to be back feeling aint it?

good night Irene
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Quote from: BigB on November 04, 2007, 08:49:47 PM
I'll maybe let him shoot the next one. :laf:

Brian

And then again, maybe not!   :biggrin:

BigB

CCP, You got er right.  That's a Ruger.  22-250 caliber.  I really like that gun.  She's a bit heavy to lug around all day, but the bi-pods installed on it are worth the extra weight.  I've also got a Ruger 270 stainless/composite, and I have missed a few coyotes with it because it is so light.  Any little thing will move the barrel around throw off the trajectory.  The 22-250 is a bit more fur friendly as well.  The 270 did take a nice little bobcat once.  But the exit hole was the size of a grapefruit on it.  130 grains at 75 yards away.

Good night Irene....    Some of you "more senior" folks will have to explain that one to me.  I'm from the younger generation, and I don't understand the reference.  Grandpa used to say it all of the time when he would shoot pheasants and after he set the hook on a big ol' catfish.  I just thought it was fitting to use it here as well. :biggrin:

Brian

wv_yoter

Nice story and pics Brian, my partner has the exact same rifle, bipods and all.
Jason

CCP

QuoteThat's a Ruger.  22-250 caliber.

I thought I recognized it. I had one for a short time in 220 swift.  I really liked it but someone had another toy I wanted and I ended up giving it to him in the trade.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

KySongDog

Quote from: BigB on November 05, 2007, 05:10:46 PM

Good night Irene....    Some of you "more senior" folks will have to explain that one to me.  I'm from the younger generation, and I don't understand the reference.  Grandpa used to say it all of the time when he would shoot pheasants and after he set the hook on a big ol' catfish.  I just thought it was fitting to use it here as well. :biggrin:

Brian

Since I am pushing 60 I guess I qualify as "more senior".   :biggrin:

"Good Night Irene" was the name of a number one record in 1950 by the Weavers.  Ernest Tubb recorded it too and it made number one on the country charts.  Others have recorded it also.

The way my dad used it was to express the end of something....to put something to bed...final.  Sounds like the same use as your grandpa.

Semp

Nelson

"Goodnight Irene, goodnight Irene, I'll see you in my dreams".

Nelson

songdog

Nice pics... You look like you got a good start. Happy hunting...

Bluesman

Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB