• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Baked Coon and Sweet Potatoes

Started by Bob D, September 01, 2006, 04:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob D

OK I know this critter isn't protected up North. I hope you have access to sweet potatoes? If not then I will send someone some.

3 quarts water                              1 teaspoon salt

1 medium coon                              6 sweet potatoes

2 pods red pepper                         3 teaspoon sugar

2 bay leaves                                  1 teaspoon ground cinamon

1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper      2 tablespoons cooking oil

1/2 teaspoon black pepper              6 feet aluminum foil

Place coon and water into large boiler.Add red pepper pods, ground red pepper, bay leaves, black pepper and salt. Parboil coon until tender.

Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Rub with cooking oil and wrap individually in foil. Place in oven and bake 45 min. at 400 degrees. Remove foil. Peel potatoes and slice in half.Sprinkle potatoes with sugar and cinnamon.

Place coon on large baking pan with potatoes around. Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 39 minutes basting often with broth.

FinsnFur

We got sweet potatoes but no coon :biggrin:

:eyebrownod: Ok....we got coon. But ..... :shck:....I don't think I could eat it.
I have heard of it being eatin but, you guys that are eatin it got something on me there cuz I dont think I could do it. :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bob D

Ya should try it Jim, it is really good.

Rick223

Ive never had coon I know a few hillbillies from around here that has they said it is good.
I had beaver and muskrat now thats pretty good eatin. :biggrin:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jimmie in Ky

This one stealing my sweet corn is about to wind up in such a recipe. Best way for it to pay for the seed !

Same recipe for possum, but that is one critter I will not eat at all :rolleye:Jimmie

songdog

I never have had coon.... i have trapped a bunch, but just skinned em. I would say a coon thats been eating sweet corn would taste like no other.. good recipe jim...  :congrats:

nailbender

Might just have to give that a try!

Hawks Feather

It might be good, but I don't think I would knowingly eat it. 

Jerry

Bills Custom Calls

You fellers that haven't eat coon should try it.The smaller ones at this time of the year is best eating.
Since it don't say above I will tell you here It is best if you make sure the coon is dead then skin it and take all the inerds out before parboil :laf:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

I think I got an intestinal infection just thinking about that. :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

cb223

The recipe does sound good (with another meat substituted), BUT I just don't think I could sit at the supper table and enjoy coon! I know it is just meat and is put on this earth as such!

A friend of mine made venison chili, his wife made the comment how good the chili was. He told her "sorry I forgot to tell you that was venison" she almost barfed. I didn't understand, I think I do now!

"My mind has been programed to tell me coon ain't for supper" Sorry!!!! I'd have to be real hungry!

CHAD

outdoorgirl

I was curious, wouldn't coon taste like bear since they are of the same family?
So if you didn't want to eat coon could you substitute it with bear meat?

Bob D

Sure but the coon is allot safer to harvest

Silencer

Not sure if I would cook it, but I'd give it a try.  My grandparents raised me since I was 3 months old, they cooked anything and everything my grandad brought home.  So most likely I've eaten it already but dont remember.

I do remember how good woodchuck tastes.

northern coyote

ya'll ever had BBQ coon ribs? thats the best as far as coon goes in my book! although......sweet taters does sound good right about now!
I'm learnin' and I've got nothin' but time

Bob D

I've had barbequed coon and it is good .

Silencer

does sound good, any bbq ribs... my mouth is watering. 

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

KySongDog

I've ate BBQ coon before and its really not bad.  But I think I would rather starve to death than eat a possum.  :nono:

Semp

Nelson

Semp,
I think anyone who had ever skinned a possum
would say the same thing!! :puke:

Nelson